3rd coyote down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

3rd coyote down

Post by fratri »

I got a chance to go for a quick calling sequence today after work and took advantage of it and scored with my 3rd coyote of the season today. I picked up my son after school, he wanted to play outside for a bit. We played for about an hour, he wanted to go inside so I took him in. He went to go play some video games and I look at the clock. 4:30 pm... I figure if my wife gives me the okay and If I hurry I could make the 20 min drive and 20 min walk in and still be able to do a calling sequence before it got dark. I arrived and started calling about 5:15 and by 5:20 this guy was down. He came out within the first few minutes of me calling. He came in to an adult dying rabbit sound. It did not play more than 5 mins before he came running in. He stopped 20 yards from my caller/decoy, and 75 yds from me. He was just looking at it, I put the crosshairs on him and bang, He spun around a few times and ran into the thick stuff. I played the coyote pup distress followed by raccoon fighting for about 10 more mins before calling the set. I walked over to the impact area and see a little hair but no blood. The blood trail starts a few yards away and goes into the bush, this part of the bush is really thick so I take my time following the blood and find him about 30 yds from impact. He was standing slightly quartering to so it looks like I hit his left front leg and then the bullet slid along its side tearing about a 3" in the hide. I left so quick for this hunt that I forget my camo hunting clothes, I am glad I had these coveralls with me.... Sorry about the pics but I had to do self portraits, it was alot brighter out then it appears in the pictures...

Here is a visual of my setup and what took place

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
FredBear

Re: 3rd coyote down

Post by FredBear »

Very nice fratri! I've been thinking about getting more into this type of hunting. What kind of call are you using?
fratri

Post by fratri »

FredBear wrote:Very nice fratri! I've been thinking about getting more into this type of hunting. What kind of call are you using?
It is a foxpro spitfire ....with a spinning rabbit/decoy attached to it :)

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your yote!! :)
I've tried hunting them a few times with no success...it's just so thick here that you can't see past 75yds on the ground!!
Been thinking about trying deer hunting techniques and using my climber to call from!!!
Buddy at work say's it won't work that they will here me climbing...all I know is here where I hunt we are covered with these damn yotes!!!!!
Good Luck!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
phil

Post by phil »

Very nice..what caliber?
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

less yotes is good..............
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! Frank I think ya got these dogs figured out nice looking pelt!!
The best things in life are not things!!