cell phone mounted on a bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dwilley

Re: cell phone mounted on a bow

Post by dwilley »

I just made a mount for mine on my Ibex. Hot glue, velcro and a scrap of 1/4 inch wood was all it took, 10 minutes to do. I shot video to see if it was pointed easily in the right direction. It was. It looks really promising. I'm out of town for a couple of days, but when I get back I'll make a YouTube video of how to make the mount, and include video taken, using the spy cam, of a lumenok equipped bolt being shot. That way we can see what the recoil does,
cheers,
David
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Did you all order from the Hong Kong guys? Any problems?

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid= ... py+cameras

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I just ordered a couple, $8.75 shipping included, from China. Feedback was excellent on their previous 250,000 sales.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

The cameras may originally come from Asia, but they are shipped finally from within the USA. Which is why it usually only takes a couple of days for them to arrive,
cheers,
David
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Pydpiper wrote:I just ordered a couple, $8.75 shipping included, from China. Feedback was excellent on their previous 250,000 sales.

OK..can you give me the url for where you bought them.

Thanks,

WW
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Try this. I am using my phone to post, internet is down, I hope it works.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0470151364

Woody Williams wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:I just ordered a couple, $8.75 shipping included, from China. Feedback was excellent on their previous 250,000 sales.

OK..can you give me the url for where you bought them.

Thanks,

WW
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

Fastening a key ring spy cam to an Excalibur Ibex crossbow.

You will need:
Spy cam camera (search Ebay for "key ring spy cam".)
Hot glue
2 inch wide, 2 inch long strip of “Industrial” or “Heavy Duty” Velcro (Jo-Ann Fabrics or similar sell it.)
Scissors
A 2 inch by 2 inch scrap piece of ¼ inch thick wood. This is to act as a spacer to raise the camera above the limb.

Start by trimming the piece of wood to fit the recess on either the left or right front of the bow. I chose the right side. Cut a piece the same shape from the stiffer, hook side of the Velcro. Hot glue the Velcro to the wood and then the wood to the bow.
From the softer, loop side of the Velcro, cut a piece the shape of the camera, but slightly smaller. Hot glue this to the bottom of the camera. Apply the glue to the Velcro while it lies on a flat surface, wait a few seconds and then push the camera down onto the somewhat cooled glue. Cover the surfaces, but keep the amount of glue to a minimum, too much heat could hurt the camera. Masking the sides of the camera with electrician’s tape or similar is something I will do next time.
BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET GLUE IN THE USB PORT, THE LENS, THE MEMORY CARD SLOT, ETC.
You can see from the picture I almost did damage to the camera’s lens and USB port.
That is about it, the camera will now mount on the bow.
To aim it in the right direction, I try to line it up with the frame of the bow. That worked well for me. I'm going to take video with the camera and post it to YouTube,
it can be found at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvZe_fUbmXQ
cheers,
David
Last edited by dwilley on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Looking forward to seeing the footage. 8)
Tenpoint Matrix
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

The video I shot this evening is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvZe_fUbmXQ
it was about 6:15pm when I shot the video, and if I had been hunting today I would have been calling it a day by 6:20pm at the latest, or in my neck of the woods "the end of prime time".
IMHO for $18 this is remarkable. Hardly "The Crush with Lee and Tiffany", but I'm hardly Lee and I'm definitely not Tiffany :wink:
I would really like to know if anyone else tries this on an actual hunt. I'd love to see other's footage. I'm so anxious to try it, for real myself, that I've convinced my local golf course to let me put a dent in their groundhog population when Spring arrives. Patience is a virtue I'm told; me, I want to kill something :D
looking forward to all responses,
cheers,
David
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hey Dave, pretty neat for so little money i'm sure your on to something here for all, good results for first run.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pretty good footage in such low light conditions.
Have to admit it scared the crap out of me when you shot off yer bow! :lol:
Wasn't expecting it at all. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

j.krug wrote:Pretty good footage in such low light conditions.
Have to admit it scared the crap out of me when you shot off yer bow! :lol:
Wasn't expecting it at all. :)
yeah i know huh :shock: ....is that really how loud our xbows are :( cause shooting mine i can't hear it that loud :lol: ....they seem to be worth the 10 bucks to get a couple of them :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
strum

Post by strum »

that was cool dave..would like to see more. I hoping you get a groundhog kill on cam ..if you can
everyone on here will be mounting keychain cams.. :D
I have a feeling ill be tryin one when deer seson comes around ,,may even try one turkey huntin
wonder if a shotgunblast will blow the mic?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

I just noticed something rather distressing :(
The Velcro pad has pulled off the camera, it stuck on the Velcro attached to the bow. I'm thinking that getting the glue very cold was perhaps a factor. I'd put the camera on and taken it off the bow half a dozen times, but always inside the house. It seems a better adhesive than hot glue is required and perhaps roughing up the smooth plastic back of the camera. Gorilla glue or J.B. Weld will be tried tomorrow, and you can bet I'll mask off the USB port, lens, etc. Plus I'll try not to pull on the camera, but rather the Velcro when removing the camera from the bow, this is getting interesting, I'll keep you posted,
cheers,
David
strum

Post by strum »

i like the sunglass style cam also ..wonder how that would work
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16