arrow flight problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

webfoot

arrow flight problem

Post by webfoot »

hello xbow hunters. I am new to forum. I shot new Exomax today at 20 Yds. and all my arrows are entering the target on a 20 degree angle. Any replies would be helpful. Thanks
Pydpiper

Re: arrow flight problem

Post by Pydpiper »

Indoors or out? Practice point or broadhead?
Sounds like a crosswind to me.

Welcome to the forum. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
webfoot

Post by webfoot »

Thanks for the reply. Outdoors. No wind. My arrow setup is:20" firebolts, 150 gr. field tips, excel string, 4" vanes. Shooting from solid bench rest square to target. First 2 arrows shot entered target perfectly straight. Shot same 2 arrows again and they entered on angle. Shot the other two arrows. same results. Something is wrong. Checked fasteners, arrow retainer, rail for obsticals. I use rope cocking aid properly, I think? I think arrow is coming out of bow crooked. Help.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

What target you shooting. I have a bag target you stuff, some times one area is more packed than the other which can cause it as well.
I number all my arrows with a sharpie, helps to see if same arrow is causing trouble.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Is there a 90 degree angle in reference to your string to your rail when uncocked?

Check all your screws, make double sure all is tight.

If all is good with your bow, then look at the arrows. If they are all from the same batch, then it could be the way the vanes were put on . . .you could take the vanes off one arrow and see if there is a difference. From 20 yards and no wind, with a field tip, the arrow doesn't need a vane.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hard to tell what might be the trouble.

First question I have is the POI (point of impact) of the arrow the same. At 20 yards, even 30 yards you should be able to cover the POI with a 25 cent piece. IF you can, then there is not a really drastic problem. My thinking is your target. If your arrow starts to track to the side upon entering the target, then it could cause this effect. Even if the target is capable of moving on the arrow striking the target could cause this.

Try and see if you can see the tail of the arrow in flight (does it wobble) and is your grouping of the arrow good.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Make sure yer riser is bolted on correctly to the rail as the riser has 2 small parallel raised metal machined lines. If the riser & rail are correct ck yer riser limb area as thar be limb plastic shims that may protrude out enuff to catch vanes. Ck yer target itself & try it in a diff side ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
webfoot

Post by webfoot »

Thanks everybody for input. I will try everything you suggested today and post the results. P.O.I. is very close at 20 yds. Target is McKenzie shotblocker, new. Was not stable enough and could be the problem. I love this bow, but I need to get it accurate. Thanks
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I doubt it is anything with the bow, the arrow should stabilize by the time it gets to the target.
Considered a paper test? Put some paper in front of the target and see if the arrow is travelling straight, the arrow is indeed crooked in flight it will show on paper.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

do you know how to twist your string to set brace height? just want to make sure your string is not smacking the riser and/or have a brace height way too low.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Are you cocking my hand? Or using the rope cocker?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

I am surpprised no one mentioned F. O. C.
20 degrees ? side to side? tail draggers? Or nose drop? always the same?
mark 10 :13
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

Could it be that the target is just not squared up with you or if you shoot the left side or right first it may turn the target a little and then from there on out all arrows go in looking like they are going in sideways? Just wondering :wink:
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

posted another thread. Target was moving. All is good