Excalibur Axiom??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rogue_wave

Excalibur Axiom??

Post by Rogue_wave »

Hi to all. I currently own an excal exo mag that my son has now claimed as his own. So I am in need of another excal to hunt with. I am looking for feedback from anyone here that shoots an Axiom and what you think of them. I have had one in my hands but just can't seem to get my head around the composite rail. I've always been a firm believer of the aluminun rails. Thanks in advance for your replies.

cheers

R/W
one shot scott

Re: Excalibur Axiom??

Post by one shot scott »

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Over the years I have learned to trust Excalibur and I don't think they would sell it without alot of testing before releasing it to the public. If you unsure then just step up a model, problem solved :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i bought one for its light weight couple weeks back.havent shot it yet. im upgrading the scope and waiting for the new one to come in. one thing i have noticed is that the rail top is not machined perfectly smooth and flat like the aluminum rails or other synthetic rails ive seen like on the parkers. the top of the rail has bumps that you can feel running your finger across on it.you can feel the imperfections where the "v" re-inforcement bars are impregnated on the rail sides and meet the top of the rail.from what i gather it hasnt affected the accuracy of the xbow from posts ive seen.maybe the rail will smooth out over time. :?:
strum

Post by strum »

I have decided that when the funds allow im gonna buy one..i like the weight and the rail doesnt bother me one bit . im with one shot scot....excal will take care of any probs..i shot one a good bit at a store in tenn,,same as any other excals,,deadly accurate,,felt great..and from what ive heard it may be a tiny bit faster than the pheonix
due to the rail being just a tad longer..
Last edited by strum on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Just came inside from shooting both types of axioms , about 50 arrows each , from 10 to 50 yards . We like the scopes they come with . with 380 grain arrows the chevons are about right on. The SMF model takes some getting use to looking at but shoots great .Being a machinist for over 30 years I have seen "plastics " take over alot of things steel and aluminum use to do ,and do it lighter, better and cheaper.So to make short story long, Buy one it's a great crossbow! ,
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
strum

Post by strum »

LongCarbine wrote:Just came inside from shooting both types of axioms , about 50 arrows each , from 10 to 50 yards . We like the scopes they come with . with 380 grain arrows the chevons are about right on. The SMF model takes some getting use to looking at but shoots great .Being a machinist for over 30 years I have seen "plastics " take over alot of things steel and aluminum use to do ,and do it lighter, better and cheaper.So to make short story long, Buy one it's a great crossbow! ,
Long carbine,,what was your take on the two as far as speed and or accuracy?..could you tell any diff?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

STRUM It seams the SMF might be a little faster and maybe a little quietier ,which sucks because thats my brother-in-laws . But I don,t know for sure it just seams that way. when sighted in at 20 yards they both hit within 2 inches vertical at 50 yards. which tells me they have the same speed.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

long carbine if you get a chance can you measure the rail lengths. i herd that the axiom smf version was a little longer coming out of the moulds or something like that. maybe the smf is a few feet faster because of the slightly longer length rather than the plastic adding speed. also do you have the slight bumps on the top of your rail. just comparing notes in case i got a poorly moulded rail.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

FooFoo,

Rails seam to be the same length and the top is smooth on the SMF. I really can't find anything wrong with it. Just my luck if I waited another year to buy mine ,I could of saved $100.But I would have missed out on alot of fun!!!
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
strum

Post by strum »

LongCarbine wrote:FooFoo,

Rails seam to be the same length and the top is smooth on the SMF. I really can't find anything wrong with it. Just my luck if I waited another year to buy mine ,I could of saved $100.But I would have missed out on alot of fun!!!
I havent measured the two but i was told by a repuatable source that the axiom smf had a rail about 1/4 inch longer than the pheonix..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Rogue_wave wrote:Hi to all. I currently own an excal exo mag that my son has now claimed as his own. So I am in need of another excal to hunt with. I am looking for feedback from anyone here that shoots an Axiom and what you think of them. I have had one in my hands but just can't seem to get my head around the composite rail. I've always been a firm believer of the aluminun rails. Thanks in advance for your replies.

cheers
MATE I DONT LIKE THEM EITHER I LIKE THE ALUMINUN FRAME JUST MY PREFENCE THOUGH, MY ADVICE IS PAY THE EXTRA $50 OR $100 BUCKS & BUY THE PHOENIX I LOVE THEM & PRETTY DAM EQUAL TO YOUR EXOMAG WHICH I'M LUCKY ENOUGH TO OWN 2 OFF. REGARDS FRANK IN AUSSIE... P.S SEND A PM TO BILL.T I NO FIRST HAND FROM A LETTER FROM HIM TO ME THAT HIS FAVORATE BOW IS THE PHOENIX HE LOVES THE 175 LB EXCALIBURS ALSO YOU GET THE DISSIPATOR BARS ON THE BOW & BETTER CAMO FOR THE LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA CASH PAYED :D :D :D

R/W
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i bought an axiom lighter option than my exomax very accurate very nice xbow and light i like it
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i dont think of the axiom as a cheaper budget type xbow.has nothing to do with just spend the extra 50$.i look to it as just another option for the field. i have a equinox and ripped off the diss bars and took off my sts. it still carries a little too heavy for me. i would never add anything to my axiom.i was a sceptic on the plastic but the way it carries and feels in hand is most important to me.almost as slick as my thumbhole vixen. only the axiom has a little more :lol: fire under the hood.
strum

Post by strum »

foofoo wrote:. the axiom has a little more :lol: fire under the hood.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony