How to line up fletching with broadhead blades?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PA Prof

How to line up fletching with broadhead blades?

Post by PA Prof »

Hi all,

So it's "that time" again to start thinking about preliminary preparations for the upcoming archery season this fall here in the northern Pennsylvania mountains. I got my Equinox last year too late for the season, but have been practicing with it, getting the feel for the firebolts and boltcutter heads.

My xbow is accurate (sub 1" groups) at 20 yards or less, but beyond that it's difficult to get them grouping. I am shooting from a rest.

One of the remedies I've heard here for inconsistent flight paths is to line up the fletching and the blades on the broadhead. I tried doing this last night, but then realized I couldn't get them lined up as the threads in the bolt position the head in the same place every time I screw it in. It stands to reason that doing this would make the bolts more aerodynamic, so for those who do it--how is it done?

I am guessing the solution is staring me right in the face and I'm just too dull to get it! Any help appreciated!
wheelie

Re: How to line up fletching with broadhead blades?

Post by wheelie »

You can buy rubber o-rings to go between insert and broadhead. Likely have them at your local hardware store if you want some right away. Thats what I do. Good luck. :) :) That way if I lose a fletch I only have to replace one and put broadhead back on.

I am sure others will chime in with a better way!
Last edited by wheelie on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

When I make my arrows I use hot melt glue. So it is easy to reheat and twist the broad head to turn the insert.
For me the hot melt hold up when target shooting also.
But with factory arrows it is not so easy.spacers/washers might work.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I use Magnus stingers, ss snuffers, before these I used the old bear and the old snuffers, in close to 50yrs I never done this, the rear is going to steer, may be change bh's? just a guess I think it's in the shafts not fletching or bh

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

I do not index the broadheads to the fletchings. Two blade and four blades (which obviously cannot be indexed) fly well if everything is right.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I know I might take some heat for this but as a guy with some experience in aerodyanmics I have no idea what the logic is re: lining up broadhead blades with flethcing.

I know some swear by it but...

Broadhead blades will cause an aerodynamic disturbance (turbulence) which probabay still exists when the fletching flies through the space that the broadhead just flew through.

To get the best result from any aerodymic surface (with some exceptions) you want it passing through "clean air" not air that has been disturbed by something immediately before.

SO I want my fletching flying through clean air not turbulent air created by broadhead blades.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Galgo wrote:I know I might take some heat for this but as a guy with some experience in aerodyanmics I have no idea what the logic is re: lining up broadhead blades with flethcing.

Broadhead blades will cause an aerodynamic disturbance (turbulence) which probabay still exists when the fletching flies through the space that the broadhead just flew through.

To get the best result from any aerodymic surface (with some exceptions) you want it passing through "clean air" not air that has been disturbed by something immediately before.

SO I want my fletching flying through clean air not turbulent air created by broadhead blades.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with that.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boo wrote:
Galgo wrote:I know I might take some heat for this but as a guy with some experience in aerodyanmics I have no idea what the logic is re: lining up broadhead blades with flethcing.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree with that.
Me too . ..
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
masboy

Post by masboy »

Iv,e found the fire bolts and boltcutters to be very accurate at 50yds if you spin check each shaft and shoot each arrow separately three times at 50 yds and sort out the ones that shoot good groups at 50yds with close to same poi. There won,t be many from a dozen. Iv,e shot just as good of groups with boltcutters as I did with the field points after sorting out my best shooting arrows.lineing the broadheads with the fletching did not group any better for me.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

So how does one assure that the fletchings travese "clean air"?

I suppose one could take a shower and not eat beans. :roll:

Seriously though, what could one do to achieve this?
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I have 3 arrows with vanes inline 3 not inline they are within .005 T.I.R with a spin checker.They fly the same at 45 yards. But if you have the insert in and want to get them inline it won't take much. The threads are 8-32 that means 1 full revolution every 1/32 of an inch or .030 . the most you would have to rotate it would be less than 1/3 of a turn ,or less than .010.afew strokes with a file will work. You can also make a little jig by drilling a hole in a piece of metal to help you keep it square, If you sho0t 22 dia. or fire bolts a 11/32 drill will work.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Messed with indexing when used 3 bladed heads, didn't notice much difference. Some heads planed more than others. Went to 4 bladed heads (slick tricks) problem solved.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

LongCarbine wrote:I have 3 arrows with vanes inline 3 not inline they are within .005 T.I.R with a spin checker.They fly the same at 45 yards. But if you have the insert in and want to get them inline it won't take much. The threads are 8-32 that means 1 full revolution every 1/32 of an inch or .030 . the most you would have to rotate it would be less than 1/3 of a turn ,or less than .010.afew strokes with a file will work. You can also make a little jig by drilling a hole in a piece of metal to help you keep it square, If you sho0t 22 dia. or fire bolts a 11/32 drill will work.
Have you seen one of these? http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_asdtool
strum

Post by strum »

i did all that with my vertical stuff ..drove myself waco..didnt shoot any better.. :D
when i got my crossbow ..i dialed it in at 20 and 30 using GTs ..then i put on my 100gr thunderheads and couldnt hit the broad side of the barn from the inside with all the windows and doors closed :P
then i did a spin test and got them shooting ok but never good enough..went with the wasps and they were spot on..then the boltcutters..same thing. spot on..i never even think of vane/blade alignment. But i only shoot 20 and 30 yards so who knows what they do on out there.
All that said if that is what it takes to make you confidant then by all means do it.. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Boo.

Item looks like it would work pretty good .I made something similiar to that ,not as nice but it works.I wish I could post a pic of it ,but I'm not quite up to speed with technology.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330