20" Bolts for Axiom... stick with firebolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Panhandler80

20" Bolts for Axiom... stick with firebolts?

Post by Panhandler80 »

I know the Axiom comes with Firebolts.

I have always shot Gold Tip XT Hunters in my V bow.

Deer here in Florida aren't that large, although I might do some hog hunting with it too.

Regarldess, I'm leaning towards 100 grain mechanicals. Probably going to go with a Boos string

I spec'd out GT Laser IIs, and the FOC with 100 grain tip and no inserts was pretty high and at 20" bolt, it was under recommended min 350 grain. By the time I added like 30 grains in inserts, FOC was like 18%. That seems real high to me... but I'm used to shooting long V bow arrows, so...

Anyway, I'm going to want more than 4 bolts on hand shortly after taking delivery of bow... Target practice gets old with only 4 arrows!

Without getting into Fixed Blade vs Mechanicals... my set up will be the following.

Axiom
S5 system
Boos string
No Dampner bars
Probably about 1" brace height
Mechanical 100 grain broadheads
All shots on game within 35 yards
Shots on small to medium sized deer (a really big deer here is 190 lbs)

What would be the best All-Around bolt set up for me?

I have never gotten into the any real experimentation with vanes and feathers. My current V bow set up I have 3" feathers with a twist to them. They are dead on out of Matthews Outback. I do get annoyed with them in rain, or when they get ruffled going through woods. Anyway, if anybody suggests I build (or have built) custom arrows, please offer your .02 on the vane or feather set up.

Thanks again.

yall have been a great help.

PH80
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
OkXbowHunter

Re: 20" Bolts for Axiom... stick with firebolts?

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I bought my Axiom about a year ago. It has exceeded my expectations and then some. Took 3 deer last year with it. All pass throughs included one that hit a rear leg bone.

I've experimented with both aluminum and brass inserts in Laster II's, GT Kinetics and 2216's and there really wasn't all that big of difference out to 40 yards for my set up.

Here's what I finally settled on and it's done well.

GT Laster II's, 20 inch with brass insert and 125 G5 Stryker (although started out last year with a 100 grn Slick Tricks and they shot equally well)

I use QuikFletch QuikSpin 2" vanes (the ones you just dip in hot water) These are durable and very accurate, not to mention a little faster than your 4 or 5 inch vanes.

I'm using an Excal Flemish Fast Flight string. My arrow weight is around 445 grains and I get 287 fps out of it. I also use Firenoks and they work great with this setup.

I wouldn't be afraid of taking on the biggest hog, deer, elk or moose with this setup!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

So, when I order my bow package and it comes with 4 firebolts, how will those bolts be set up? On the FAQ page I found the FOCs with 150gr and 100gr heads in them. What I did not see was total weight of each set up with those heads. Anybody?

Axiom with a fast flight string and 1" brace... is there an "ideal" FOC for shots under 40 yards?

Oxbow, you said that with your Axiom you are currentl settled on and happy with..

GT Laster II's, 20 inch with brass insert and 125 G5 Stryker (although started out last year with a 100 grn Slick Tricks and they shot equally well)

What is your total weight on that? Any idea of FOC? Any idea of FPS?

Min weight is 350 grains. I'd ilke to end up near that, but over just a little. Maybe say... 375 or so grains.

I see that Ecal's recommended mechanicals are 100 grain. I'm fine shooting a similar (say spitfire, or something) mechanical at 125 grains, aren't I?

Thanks
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

So, when I order my bow package and it comes with 4 firebolts, how will those bolts be set up? On the FAQ page I found the FOCs with 150gr and 100gr heads in them. What I did not see was total weight of each set up with those heads. Anybody?
My Firebolts came with aluminum inserts (front and back) and 4 inch vanes. They weight 268 grains without a tip. Add a 100 grain tip and you have 368, which is really close to where you want to be.
Axiom with a fast flight string and 1" brace... is there an "ideal" FOC for shots under 40 yards?
Honestly, I don't pay that much attention to the FOC. I think with modern crossbows, it's been over done. I shoot several setups and see which one I like best. I've shot Laster II's with everything from 85 to 150 grains field points and only the 85 grain heads shot inconsistent with aluminum inserts.

I start with the Firebolts and shoot field tips that match the weight of the head you want to shoot. If you want to shoot an X-act or other 100 grain mechanical, then buy 100 field tips and try them. If you want to try 150 Boltcutters, then buy 150 grain field tips and try those.

I'm betting you'll have good accuracy out of both. And either will kill Big Game under 40 yards and past.
What is your total weight on that? Any idea of FOC? Any idea of FPS?
My setup with 125 grain G5 Strykers weigh 445 grains and shoots 287 fps with a FFF string.
Min weight is 350 grains. I'd ilke to end up near that, but over just a little. Maybe say... 375 or so grains.

I see that Ecal's recommended mechanicals are 100 grain. I'm fine shooting a similar (say spitfire, or something) mechanical at 125 grains, aren't I?
You should be fine with any 100 grain mechanical using the Firebolts so long as they are accurate out of your bow. Your weight will be in the 370 grain area if you stay with aluminum inserts.

Go out and shoot a bunch of different head weights and maybe a few different crossbow arrows to see which one you like best. That's one thing I really love about Archery. Shooting a lot and experimenting!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

All great answers. Thanks! I tend to over analyze things... which really does no good behind a computer. Obviously feild / bench time will be way more telling.

My problem though is that I'm probably more of a hunter than an archer, or marksman for that matter. Once I get something dialed in, be it my V bow or my rifle, I don't tinker until somehing is off. I of course spend some time shooting to confirm that everything is still on, but not like some folks.

I want to get it dialed in and then hunt... which is one of the things that made Excal (as opposed to wheels and bow shop string replacements) so appealing.

One question that I think you might have mis-read just a bit...

I wrote, "Min weight is 350 grains. I'd ilke to end up near that, but over just a little. Maybe say... 375 or so grains.

I see that Ecal's recommended mechanicals are 100 grain. I'm fine shooting a similar (say spitfire, or something) mechanical at 125 grains, aren't I?"

And you said, "You'll be fine shooting any 100 grain mechanical as long is it shoots out of your bow well."

Roger that, and thanks. I also see, now knowing that firebolt with included aluminum inserts is at 268, so a 100gr mechanical puts me right were I think I want to be... at the 370 mark.

Question above, however, was... no reason why shooting 125s would be a problem if I wanted to push that 400 mark and increase my FOC a little bit, huh?

ONE LAST QUESTION (and I really appreciate the responses)... anyway you can think of to shoot a 125 grain BH, but keep the total arrow weight around the 355, 360, 370 mark?

Thanks,

PH80
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

FLA-XBOW

Post by FLA-XBOW »

With the stock firebolts(except with 3" vanes) and 125 grain tips im shooting 3" groups at 50 yards. Your excal will perform with just about any set up, all that other stuff is just fine tuning. The xbow will shoot better than all of us.

Sean
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
ScottytheLoner

Post by ScottytheLoner »

I use, and recommend the Fire Bolts with 100 gr. tips. They are whipping fast, and are strong. I just target shoot, so I can't comment on any broadheads.