Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

G Spot

ground blind or tree stand???

Post by G Spot »

which do you prefer, ground blind or tree stand and why
oldfart Missouri

Re: ground blind or tree stand???

Post by oldfart Missouri »

I favor a tree stand first. It lets me smoke my cig. I have ( 2 ) summits - The bushmaster & viper Ultra . Each has its own job. Bushmaster because of its light wieght I use it at the first of the season , looking for new places to set up. The Ultra is for that allday hunt once I find that perfect spot :D ... I also have a dubblebull ground blind I use on the days its a steady drizzle light rain... And we all know thats when they move around the best . But thats just my opinion
greyhunter

Post by greyhunter »

For me it would depend on several things, my age, how comfortable I feel in a safety harness (some can hurt you more than the fall), the terrain, sloping or flat, how close I am to readily used deer trails, do deer look up in this location,etc.
How cold and wet is the weather going to be, wind direction, stuff (limbs,brush) to camo my ground blind. :lol: Yep, deer hunting is a lot of work, but I love it.
The woods are full of surprises.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Prefer a natural ground blind, trees and branches piled so you can sit behind them
this way the deer will get used to it being there all the time.

Oh ya a lot less chance of some low life stealing it.
Tenpoint Matrix
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

neither..... a shoot'n house is my favorite, 6-8' off tha ground thats bout all we have in tha swamp.
gotta few ladder stands but thems for hawgs and kiyot at night :wink:
houses are comfortable as you make them... some of our best spots have computer desk chairs in them... :roll: we raid the salvation army monthly for them :D an oldfart... your right bout them move'n in tha drizzel.
and tha houses keep you dry !!!. and warm... we don't get as cold as yall in canada. but we do get in tha teens here !!! sometimes, rarely. but itsa wet cold. that will cut you like a broke window.
we make them wide enuff to support our excals :D so width is notta prollum.
they do take more time to construct.... but whata great excuse to get lost
in your favorite world
:mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

I've been hunting from the ground only now for about 7 years, just can't get comfortable in a tree anymore. Wife bought me my first ground blind for our anniversary in April, hunted spring turkey out of it and really enjoyed myself. I'll leave the trees to the gray critters with bushy tails from now on. I like to move more than I use to and seem to see more deer this way, we have a lot of old logging roads where I hunt and I just sneak along them and can cover quite a bit of area pretty quietly.

Randy, The Birddog.
MSC

Post by MSC »

I also use to hunt from tree stands alot, but now I hunt on the ground alot more. I use simple fast ground blinds with just the camo netting. I also like to move around still hunting and covering ground. I just am not as patient as I use to be.

When the woods are wet and you can move without making noise, is when I like to sneak around. I have walked right up on deer before and got shots at 15-20 yards.
2011 Exomax
Boo Custom String
Shadow Zone
Gold Tip Lazer II Pro
G5 Strikers 100gr
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I hunt both trees and ground but enjoy hunting from the ground the most I hunt a lot of state land and I mostly utilize wind falls and natural cover at choke points.
It is more personal and intense to kill a deer from the ground than a tree for me.
A tree stand offers a lot of advantages over the ground like better visibility for the hunter,better scent control,less chance of deer seeing you,and getting you above a lot of the brush for clearer shots but I enjoy ground hunts more.
Being able to set my gear in easy reach , not being confined to one body position,being able to drink my tee easily and the very personnel encounters with game are nice things to me about ground hunting.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

well, i have a hang on stand, climber and a blind. i gotta say the climber hands down. it gives me the freedom of hunting where i want , i can adjust my height depending on certain times of the year,i can change my position in the tree ( which way i face , etc). i just love being up 25' and watching the bush come to life,un-obstructed view and hearing. i find the blind sometimes makes me feel restricted, can't see and hear everything i'd like to. but when it's raining it is nice .
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I love being in a tree stand watching the woods come alive in the morning. I use the tree stand as long as there are leaves on the trees. Once Nov. comes and the trees are bare, I'm on the ground. The deer around here look up in the trees and will spot you in a heartbeat once the leaves are gone.

I like the tree stand too because of the downward shooting angle, you get a much better blood trail. Shooting horizontally on the ground and making a pass through shot sometimes doesn't leave as good a trail. A pass through shot from a tree stand is like opening a drain plug on your oil pan. Gary
vh64

Post by vh64 »

I like all the different ways. Just depends on the always changing factors involved with hunting and my preference that hunt. As long as I'm hunting I'm a happy camper. The variety of spots and styles makes it new all the time.
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Hey G,

I've had good luck from both but I like my tree stands a bit more cuz the place I hunt is mostly open farm land and I can see for quite a ways from 25 feet up in the air. I can see the deer moving in the next fields and along the edge of the bush plots that are near the fields. Late season when the weather is real cold and windy I sometimes choose to sit on the ground in a small ground blind under my stand. It's made of a bit of lumber and brushed in real good with branches and dead falls piled up around it.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages.

You got a place local for hunting deer?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wayne

Post by wayne »

I've come down to the ground now, for the most part, I feel it allows me a little more moving around, (gotten a little older & the bones hurt a little more now) but I do miss the view from the top.
I use mostly hub type pop-up blinds with brush around them, in the woods, or natual blow-downs hollowed out, with shooting windows, in the swamps & a chair with a good back rest for me is a must, I can stay out there all day long, with that set-up.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
G Spot

Post by G Spot »

j.krug wrote:Hey G,

I've had good luck from both but I like my tree stands a bit more cuz the place I hunt is mostly open farm land and I can see for quite a ways from 25 feet up in the air. I can see the deer moving in the next fields and along the edge of the bush plots that are near the fields. Late season when the weather is real cold and windy I sometimes choose to sit on the ground in a small ground blind under my stand. It's made of a bit of lumber and brushed in real good with branches and dead falls piled up around it.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages.

You got a place local for hunting deer?
I have a friend with a small bush that is having a lot of problems with deer destroying everything so a few of the guys I go rifle hunting with and I are going to try to take care of the problem for him! He will not allow guns on his property but crossbows are OK.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use & prefer tree stands of all types including tripod sets
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315