Which One??? Equinox or Vortex and why?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Taylor

Which One??? Equinox or Vortex and why?

Post by John Taylor »

I am interested in getting a crossbow and I'm pretty sure that I have narrowed it down to an Excalibur. I was pretty sure that I was going to go with the Equinox but I have been reading from some of the other forums that the Equinox has some issues with the serving more so than the Vortex and is also a lot louder. Those are the two that I am most interested in just from what I have read. I have no knowledge at all of crossbows. I have never shot one but hope to find a dealer that has them both to try out first. In the mean time any help would certainly be appreciated. If you have any experience with either or both, I would like to hear what you have so say and any recommendations. Also what do you think the average effective range is for both on whitetail deer? Thanks in advance for all responses!!
FLA-XBOW

Re: Which One??? Equinox or Vortex and why?

Post by FLA-XBOW »

IMO I think the Vortex is the sweet spot of the Excalibur line.

Sean
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Nothing wrong with the e'nox, just learn how to reserve your own string. Sound/vibrations can be managed. A boo string with whiskers and a s5 and your good to go
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Depends if you plan to shoot a lot. Fond the Equinox to be more difficult to cock, hard on serving and with harsher shot. Downsized to Vortex, couldn't be happier.
Don't miss the 15-20 fps at all.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Learn to reserve center serving then pick one of the 2 as its personal choice. Both are excellent models
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Had an Emax, like the Ecet much more..............
"Eze 18:21"
John Taylor

Post by John Taylor »

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming! If you have any other suggestions I would like to hear them as this is all totally new to me.
strum

Post by strum »

i see from the 2 you picked your set on the thumb hole models..I have an exomax and love ,,it will be my go to hunting bow..But...for all around target shooting im going with a pheonix or an exocet,,maybe even an axiom..
like the others said the higher poundage ones are a little rough on serving but i learned to reserve so its no problem for me..i would say its all in what kind of shape you are ..if your fairly fit and dont mind needing a little umph to cock then go with the biggun..but you should go somewhere that you can shoot all of them..and spend some time dont get in a rush..shoot a equinox 10 or 15 or even 20 times..youll know by then.. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There's literally only an inch of difference between them.

I have no trouble cocking the meanest of them and can shoot all afternoon, when it isn't stinking hot. :)

Guys that like the longer bows are usually speed freaks or just have long arms and like the "fit" better. I'm the speed freak . . .I like the option of shooting a heavier set-up and still keep the trajectory relatively flat.

The servings will eventually wear out on every bow. However, with the Excalibur, you can reserve the string and be shooting again in twenty minutes, or less.

When you go and shoot the bows, it will pick you. Buy the one that feels the best when you are shooting it freehand.

Welcome to the forum John!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

I have a equinox with the S5 and boo string with wiskers and it is a lot quieter than when i first got it!! i really like the equinox ....
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
Bones

Post by Bones »

I think they call it the oldest on the ecal line up but I shoot the exo 200 and love it( same poundage as the vortex ) Taken everything from moose to grouse with it no problem. Either bow you choose will be great. Have fun enjoy
Bones
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Finding a dealer that would let you shoot both would be a bonus. Nothing beats hands on. I have shot the E-nox and E-max but have limited experience with them. No complaints with either of those beasts. I chose the Vortex and don't regret it one bit. Either one would serve you well. Good luck choosing a bow and let us know what you decided. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum john!!!! :D
As has already been stated...shoot them both and it will choose you! I've never shot the nox but i do have a vortex and in my opinion you get the best of every thing with this bow. Not to hard to cock, not bad on serving's, plenty of speed (mine is shooting 318fps) and their all deadly accurate!!!! :wink:
As far as shooting distance is concerned at normal bow range's (35-40yds max for me) the difference's are negligible.
Good luck!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

John, in my opinion, you cant go wrong w/ any model excal. They are the best by far. I am new to this also. My first was the Phoenix.Love it,still have it.then I decided I needed more power so i bought the Vortex.Great bow also but I soon realized that I could not get used to the thumbhole stock. I think it was the way that the trigger felt too close to the hand grip and my finger was wrapping too far around the trigger. So , I sold it and bought an Exocet 200. Love it. pretty much the same as Phoenix (traditional stock) w/25# extra push.
I'm used too shotguns and rifles w/ traditional stocks so thats probably why. Thats just me. Like many of the more knowledgeable people here say, try them all and you'll know the "one" when you shoot it.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Welcome to the excal forum John.

I agree with everyone's comments and I'll reinforce it with some of my own. The best thing to do, as stated before, is find a dealer that will let you shoot them, if possible. If not shoot, then at least let you cock and uncock them so you can get a "feel" for the difference in draw weight. I'll even say that you should handle a couple of the compound style xbows. This will give an appreciation to the weight saving design of the Excal's. I held a couple of Ten Point models and couldn't believe how a few pounds more made the xbow feel unwieldy compared to the Vortex that I bought.

To sum up my setup:
Vortex with a 40 strand, cat whiskers equipped string made by Boo. S5 string stop. A top mounted quiver made by Groundpounder (really helps to spread the weight distribution).

Find what feels best to YOU and go with it. Then the real fun begins, sighting it in, buying upgrade accessories, etc... :D