Flemish String vs. Standard

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Legnip

Flemish String vs. Standard

Post by Legnip »

I need to replace my string. The serving has worn out after less than a 100 shots. Yes, I did wax it regularly. I don't know what happened, but it broke and is unraveling.

The flemish string calls for "Mag Tips", but how do you know if you have "Mag Tips" or not? I'm pretty sure that I do, since I have an Eqiunox.
sumner4991

Re: Flemish String vs. Standard

Post by sumner4991 »

You just need to reserve your string . . .the string is fine.

I like the looks of the flemish the best . . .just personal taste.

You have mag tips.

Go to Boo's website and learn how to reserve . . .it's easy. You will probably want to get a new string anyway . . .you need a spare.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

There are 2 types of bowstring, endless loop (with served loops) and flemish twist (with twisted loops).

Either string type will work, but the material the string is made of determines if it suitable for non-reinforced limb tips (pre mag-tip in Excals).

Excal did (not 100% sure they still make them all) make both type strings in either dacron or "fast-flight". (fast-flight is used generically for several brands of non-stretch string material)

Dacron has some "give" or "elasticity" to it and will elongate or stretch absorbing some of the shock to the limb tips on firing the bow. It can be safely used on all limbs! The disadvantage is that it gives slightly less arrow velocity and it will continue to stretch over the life of the string requiring occasional adjustments to brace height.

Fast flight (again, this term can be used for various non-stretch material) has almost no stretch or elongation when the bow is fired and can damage the old style limbs. The advantage is that is gives a little more arrow velocity and stretches much less.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

sumner4991 wrote:You just need to reserve your string . . .the string is fine.

I like the looks of the flemish the best . . .just personal taste.

You have mag tips.

Go to Boo's website and learn how to reserve . . .it's easy. You will probably want to get a new string anyway . . .you need a spare.
Explains mag tips vs carved: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?fid[]=1
Actually the videos re re-serving are here http://www.crossbow-review.com/TechCorn ... Corner.htm
Last edited by Cossack on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Legnip wrote:I need to replace my string. The serving has worn out after less than a 100 shots. Yes, I did wax it regularly. I don't know what happened, but it broke and is unraveling.

The flemish string calls for "Mag Tips", but how do you know if you have "Mag Tips" or not? I'm pretty sure that I do, since I have an Eqiunox.
Could be that the latches which hold the string need smoothing out to prevent the string from abrading. Wrap some fine emery cloth around a small diameter dowel-1/4" or less- and smooth out the edges where they contact the serving..
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!