Crossbow Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

unclegiggy

Crossbow Question

Post by unclegiggy »

Hi everybody, I have a general question, I currently have a Horton 150. But I am looking to step up in the crossbow world and purchase an Excalibur. My question; is the equinox really worth the money over the say anion. It appears according to the specs it looks like 25 fps difference, how much does it truly affect the performance of each bow for hunting. I figure you guys are the folks to ask. Thanks
georgiaboy

Re: Crossbow Question

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!!! :D
To try and answer your question...the nox is a great bow, flagship of the excal line and capable of killing anything on the planet!!!! Now is it worth the extra $ that depends on a lot of factor's that only you can answer.
In my opinion the extra speed only drives the arrow further in the dirt...but if speed is what your after then by all mean's have at it!! Truth is all the excal's will kill deer/bears hogs etc. with no problem at reasonable bow range's.
The 225lb bows are a little harder on serving's,the 150/175lb bow's are easy on serving's,and fun to shoot and plenty strong enough for deer and other large game. To me the 200lb model's fall into the "just right for everything" category.
No matter which one you choose, if it's an excal you made the right choice!
Good luck
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

First, welcome to the forum.
Your question is a tough one. Everyone has different priorities. For many it is speed. For some it's ease of use.
The lower speed bows are easier on everything from targets, the shooter, arrows, strings etc. The faster bows are definitely more expensive but not by a whole lot. The faster bows are much more flat shooting which of course makes for less mistakes when misjudging distance.
Are the faster bows worth it for hunting? If you are really good at judging distance then it is not so worth it. Personally I think you should hunt with the fastest bow you can easily hunt with and still enjoy the occasional target shooting session. For me it is the 200 lb models but I'm getting the itch to use my Equinox for hunting.
Here's an idea! Get 2 or 3 of them! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

You have suggested a very good question.

In my opinion, I look for a crossbow that I will be able to use all of my life and without a doubt any Excalibur crossbow will out live me and any Excalibur crossbow will harvest deer, smaller bodied cervids and small game, without a problem.

However, as we age, cocking the bows that have more poundage will become more problematic. For some years I have been shooting a 150# Vixen and I have yet to not cleanly harvest a deer - if I have done my job. Recently I purchased a 175# bow and find that I do not notice much different in the cocking effort, but I have gained 20 fps or just under 300 fps with a 418 gr. arrow. For me, that is perfect for the game that I hunt.

The heavier poundage bows are ideal if you are hunting larger game such as moose or bear and elk. But, the heavier poundage bows are more difficult to cock and are known to wear out servings rather quickly (possibly 100 shots or less). As you age, you will find that cocking these heavier poundage bows can wear heavily on the body. But, if these larger game are what you primarily hunt, then you should definitely look at a higher poundage bow.

However, if deer, antelope, small game and the occasional elk are what you intend to hunt for most of your life; then you might wish to look at the 150# and 175# bows. And, at some future date, if you intend to occasionally hunt larger bodied game, you might wish to consider a second heavier poundage bow.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I have a equinox--- and i love it BUT @70yrs. i can see it can be hard on my busted up shoulders. If i had it all to do over again i would go w/175lb model. but i guess when i can't draw it comfortably, iwill go to a crank system...
welcome to the forum. :)

papa bear1 :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have proudly owned Phoenix, Vortex and Equinox. All great bow. The Equinox will handle any animal on the planet, but it's harder to cock, harder on serving and has 'harsher' shot. I like to shoot like every day, cocking it was too much for my previously cut, 70 yr old shoulders. I downsized to the Phoenix for every day shooting but the Vortex is my hunting bow. LOVE it.It DEFINITELY is worth anything I paid extra.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

hankenhunter wrote:I found using the Equinox for grouse hunting to be a disturbing
and wasteful experience. :shock: Now a vixen on the other
hand, that would be sweet. Boo is right, the more the merrier.
A pink Vixen for the wife might be a tactical triumph.
Are any of you guys secure enough with your masculinity to
hunt with a cammo pink bow. :lol: Also can grouse see pink? :lol:
Sorry, back to topic. Upon reflection, If I had a do over I
would probably have bought a vixen first and an then a Equinox
as a main hunting weapon. The learning curve is much
more gentle with the lower poundage bows.
Straight shootin,
Hank
hank, i have heard yall talk'n bout grouse hunt'n....
you shoot'um on tha ground, or are yall so good with your +bows you get'um in flight ?? :lol: :lol: :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Is the Equinox worth the extra cost over say an Ibex ? To me no, but E'nox is a great model. So we try to get you a model, comfort while shooting is the most important aspect of choosing. Length of Bow & weight of riser end is all in yer feeling them. Try each & shoot them, then let yer body choose not yer mind. Heck i might like an Equinox but the addtional $250 plus fer 40 fps isn't a good buy on my part. :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
unclegiggy

Post by unclegiggy »

Now that is what I was looking for I knew you were the right guys to ask. I totally understand and you have given me much to think about. I do mostly white tail and small game hunt so I can see where for me the nox may end up being too much. I'm still in my mid 50's but do have minor back issue so the advise to watch what I'm pulling over the long term is great advise. I do truly want an excalibur, I was in the bow shop tonight and was able to handle a variety of crossbow. Man I can not believe folks would carry some of them into the field with out an assist cart of some sort. Guys I can not thanks you enough for the advise and I hope to have a new excalibur crossbow for this upcoming Maryland season, so I need to get shopping. Thanks so much again and happy hunting.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Technically to pay fore money for a couple of inches more aluminium rail might not sound like value for money, but what your doing with it needs to be the basis of the decision rather than money.
I think with the correct broadhead correctly placed almost any excal size can do the job on most game. But if you want to use "blunts" on small game too, I prefer the power of the equinox. My equinox shots on small game have always been instant kills. But I've had a couple of bad experiences were using a less powerful bow with "blunt style tips", even though the shot placement landed spot on. Don't think because its small game the power isn't needed. With Rabbit /Fox size game, The extra poundage will guaratee any correctly placed shot delivers a blunts KE to ensure a quick/instant kill. For me its "Insurance"
I suppose its best to work out exactly what you will need it for most, as everyone has slightly different need from their bow. For target shooting I prefer a medium poundage excal like the Ibex. I agree with a couple of these replys that a Vortex/Exocet 200lbs model would be a good all round poundage that should handle anything you want to go after.
Happy shopping !
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Get what ever your comfortable using.
I have a Vixen and a Phoenix and don't think I will go back to a bigger Excalibur as these will do everything I need.

Try them out and go from there good luck choosing as all Excaliburs are fine bows.
Tenpoint Matrix
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Like always Boo hits the nail on the head!! :D My wife just got a new axiom and she loves it!! I love my nox for huntin its fast and flat !! But her axiom sure is fun to shoot.
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5