Sly (or not so) Pig

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Sly (or not so) Pig

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have heard my whole life and seen first hand that sometimes deer will hold tight and let a hunter walk right past if it feels like it is hidden well. Yesterday afternoon I went out to our lease to swap SD cards and get my "fix". I just have to go out there every so often or I start to feel bad. I was pretty well done swapping cards and on my way out of the back portion of the place.You have to cross a wash. The road is a pretty gradual grade on both sides but the wash itself is tight and steep banked.It is only about5 or 6 ft. wide and 4 to 6 ft. deep,with tree roots and briars and tangles down in it. As I crossed the wash in my truck I noticed something to the north that didnt look quite right. I mean there was a lot of roots and briars and various crap in one spot but there was something else dark behind that. In super stealth mode I stopped ,backed up and looked closer.I was eyeball to eyeball with a big ol' black hog!!!He thought he was hidden I guess,so he didnt take off. He laid right there,made his peace, and went to hoggy heaven.I couldnt believe that he would lay there and look at me after I backed the truck up ,and got the gun out, and out the window,and he was still tucked in his little spot. All this was at about 4 or 5 yards(kinda glad I was in the truck)I wonder how many times we have driven right past him in his little hide?I'm not smart enough to post pics or even get 'em off my phone for that matter,sorry,but thought ya'll might like to hear about a sneaky ol' pig.
papa bear1

Re: Sly (or not so) Pig

Post by papa bear1 »

Man i would call that a double fix :D :D congrats :wink:

papa bear1
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Those things are so skidderish that I can only imagine it was a gift from the hog gods! What a gimmie shot! You must have been smiling the whole time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:Those things are so skidderish that I can only imagine it was a gift from the hog gods! What a gimmie shot! You must have been smiling the whole time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldnt really even believe it! I thought it was something different is why I backed up,but when I saw it was a hog and it just looked at me I thought any second it will just be gone,then I got the gun out and it was still there I thought anysecond it will be gone, then I got the gun out the window and I thought any second it will be gone.And it just kept looking at me. It never even got up as it was laying down facing my way. If it had taken off it would only have had to gone 12-15 ft and would have been out of sight around a bend in the wash.All I could figure was it thought it was hidden sooooo well that it didnt need to move.Then after the loud noise(s) I looked for a few minutes to try and find an easy way to get it out. It was in this wash and the wash is tight,with alot of briars and roots and near verticle banks, my first thought was what if I get in there and its not quite dead! That would have been a rodeo.After I figured that nothing could bleed that much and be alive,I got my trimmers and sort of cleared a path to get to it.I dropped a chain down the bank and wrapped it around the pigs waist(does a pig actually have a waist?) I hooked this to the ball on the truck and drug it up the bank and clear of the briars. It was a boar and guessing weight at around200-250lbs. on the hoof. It was pretty nice sized,but not a monster. And it seems like none of the hogs we kill have much in the way of cutters,these were only about 3/4-1 inch.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

that was definatly a gift !!! that hawg shuda been long gone when he felt the
ground tremble, and heard your truck.

notta very normal thing.....round here at least :shock:

you are a lucky man :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your bacon!!!! :D :D
I a'int no hog guru...but i've killed a few and that's definitely not normal :!: Every time i've been eye to eye with one they do one of two things...break camp or run your ass up a tree!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

georgiaboy wrote: or run your ass up a tree!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
now thatsa plain'ol slap fact ifin i say so myown self............ :lol: :lol:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.