Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

muskyman454

Re: Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Post by muskyman454 »

i didn't like the vibration so i put some yarn om my string and a set of s5's problem solved. :D
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

i agree 100%, the noise will bother you more then the deer... remember also that unless the deer is in alert mode, there is next to no way he will jump string.. if you actually put yourself in the animals place, the bow isn't nearly as loud as it appears, seeing how all the noise is directly next to your head/ears... i did this once, placed my 20 yard target and put my camcorder beside the target then shot, the noise wasn't very noticeable at all... just saying..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
wayne

Post by wayne »

This is the 1st year with a "crossbow" not my 1st year hunting....But, I think ya should be more worried about the noise bring the bow up to shoot, then the sound a bow makes when shot. When the wife was shooting her Ibex at 30 yards, I was standing on the deck, (about the 1/2 way point to the target) at about same time I heard her bow shoot, I heard the arrow wack the target.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wayne wrote:ya should be more worried about the noise bring the bow up to shoot, then the sound a bow makes when shot.
I agree . . .most of the time, regardless of weapon, I get busted getting ready for the shot or raising my weapon.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

wheelie wrote:
M&M wrote:I have shot quite a few deer with mine and none have complained about it being loud, I have not put anything on it to quiet it down and have never had a deer jump the string, if it is too loud for you I suggest ear plugs!! Just kidding of the ear plugs, but really don't worry about the sound by the time the deer realizes he has heard something the arrow is allready through the deer
Fully agree with M&M, nothing more can be said. Words well spoken.

I second that...1000%...I have a wooden stock it helps a little maybe..but overall it doesnt matter..folks would try to sale you a wide variety of things from strings to foam and it may help but if they can hear it they hear it.It would have to be completly silent vs making any noise to make a difference to me....Its kinda like carbon scent lock camo..deer will either smell you or not nothings going to stop us from having any odor..BUT I will say what ever makes you more confident is what you should go with..and thats what alot of these what i call addons do for you..make you more confident thats very important to the kill..I count on the wind keeping me invisible, accuracy of the xbow and good shot placement nothing beats that..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

Ear plugs increased my accuracy, when I began shooting my Ibex. I don't wear them now and do not hear a thing, unless I try to. I just concentrate on holding the crosshairs steady.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Beaver balls, monkey tails, string spiders, cat whiskers are all intended to make a profit more than reduce noise of crossbows. ANYTHING on string or limbs-and heavier arrows- makes a bow (marginally) less noisy by reducing the speed of the limbs ergo, velocity of arrow. Don't like the noise, wear earplugs. Getting only one shot no matter how loud it is, I want the most velocity I can reasonably achieve-mostly to flatten trajectory-while shooting an ACCURATE arrow. Lack of noise does not kill a deer, accurate arrow placement does.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

To just kill a deer, noise of the bow doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean that trying to reduce noise/shock/vibrations is useless. If you reduce vibration it does help. You will be able to see arrow flight, perhaps you won't have to re-tighten the bolts for the scope mount as often, the bow will feel better when shot....etc..

Not necessary, but nice options to have. That's why my bow has the NGSS and boo string with whiskers. She's a joy to shoot! When I hunt I try to make my bow as light as possible so some options get stripped during hunting season but while I'm target shooting the other 9 months of the year I put them back on.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dash

Post by Dash »

At the end of the day I suppose it always comes down to personal preference, or if your deaf or not :lol: :lol: :lol:
For ground hunting and stalking, a loud sound with smaller game will noticably scatter smaller game quicker, and I've had a lot better success with 2nd &3rd shots when using my boo string / Cats whiskers.
For target shooting I like to quiet the noise and vibration down with whiskers or string dampners for my own preference, and for my neighbours too who have been very tolerant with my activities.
For competition, then I just use earplugs only and let the sound annoy everyone else :wink:
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

Well as of 10:42 am central Ontario time, I just purchased a new Equinox :D :D
with the Luminox scope and accesories.
I test fired it in the back yard and did'nt notice any "noise". What I did notice was this powerful cross bow shot completely thru my arrow "block" and into the neighbours fence :shock:
I will still replace the string and get some whiskers and maybe a butt extension.
So now I gotmy X-Bow, what broadhead weight? it came with Gold Tip bolts and 100gr field points.
Axiom w/Excalibur stock accessories
Matrix 350 LE w/Excalibur stock accessories
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

Sucks about the neighbor fence you will need a good target when shooting the equinox ,as for broadheads i shoot 100 GR grimreaper out of my equinox and they have never let me down but as you know broadheads are a personal choice good luck with your mew Xbow.. :D :D
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations on your purchase Huntsman!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's awesome! Enjoy your new Equinox...it's abeauty. :)

I put the butt extender on my Vortex and found it fit me better and was more comfortable to shoot....have not yet tried the Beaver Balls!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

A Boo string will help some,add cat whiskers and you have helped a little more, a string stop of some denomination will help more,a wooden stock will help some more ,heavier arrows will help some more still. None of these seemed to make a huge amount of difference when I did them to my Exomax one at a time.All together it has helped quite a bit,but I didnt notice it as I was doing it. However shoot that bow and then shoot a stock bow without any of the above and you will be amazed at the difference! After you shoot my Exomax,grab my sons VixenII,and shoot it.( it is stock-no mods period) When it goes off you will think something broke!!! Also get a friend to shoot it while you stand away from it aways. It will seem much quieter than it does when you shoot it yourself.I guess that is the vibration part of the equation that you have to deal with.
My personal theory is you can leave it alone and shoot it stock and it is a wonderful hunting tool as is, or you can customize it to your hearts desire, to your specs,and it will still be a wonderful hunting tool.Not many things that this can be said for.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

theoldarcher wrote:Isn't funny how it tends to spook the hunter more than it does the deer? :lol: :shock: :lol:
Boy i think you nailed it to the bone :!: :P :P

papa bear1 :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings