50yard shots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

50yard shots

Post by agingcrossbower »

I sighted in my red hot pinpoint scope today out to 50 yards. I made a bench to hold the bow steady and was amazed at the paper thin shims I had to put under the but of the stock to rise or lower the point of aim. Barely nothing but a coons hair would move that dot. I know now I will use a mono pod of some sort to shoot that distance to be steady because there is no way I can hold the bow and shoot that steady. Without the mono pod 30 is my limt. But that is just me. By the way the 125 slick tricks were dead on at 50 yards the same as the field tips. SCARY accurate. :twisted:
agingcrossbower

Re: 50yard shots

The big question on this. Does anyone here know if a bolt has the kinetic energy at longer distances say out the 50ty yard? Comments please.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Aging, over on the Excal side there at the left where it reads "Arrow Performance" it gives a graph for velocity and energies out to 50 yards.
agingcrossbower

MarkMarine wrote:Aging, over on the Excal side there at the left where it reads "Arrow Performance" it gives a graph for velocity and energies out to 50 yards.
Thanks Mark, never noticed that. I'm a little suprised at how little kinetic energy is lost in 10yd intervals. Not really that much. The question I have is what amount of energy is needed to provide enough penetration to kill a deer.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Aging, here is perhaps the best site to answer any questions you have. It will give you all the info you need :)

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/pra ... /index.cfm

"How much KE do you really need? If you’re hunting deer, you don’t need much at all. As long as you make a good shot, that is. According to Easton, a 400 grain arrow traveling at the glacial speed of 170 feet-per-second has sufficient energy to harvest a mature deer..."
agingcrossbower

MarkMarine wrote:Aging, here is perhaps the best site to answer any questions you have. It will give you all the info you need :)

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/pra ... /index.cfm

"How much KE do you really need? If you’re hunting deer, you don’t need much at all. As long as you make a good shot, that is. According to Easton, a 400 grain arrow traveling at the glacial speed of 170 feet-per-second has sufficient energy to harvest a mature deer..."
Thanks a lot Mark. That is reasuring. The area I hunt around my place is usually 20yds and under but I am going to Buffalo co. Wi. again and they average 30 and farther. It is just more open there and they tend to place stands to cover more than one trail so the distance gets longer. I will get use to a mono pod or I will not shoot. Thanks again. Mike
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Mike,

You are welcome...and if you computed out the example quoted, you will see it comes to 26 ft/lbs - not a whole lot :)
agingcrossbower

Mark according to the table I have 94KE which should be p-l-e-n-t-y. Thanks everyone for your help. :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Biggest problem isn't arrow energy, it's where is the deer going to be when the arrow gets there?

At 50 yards it takes the arrow a lot longer to get there than it takes the sound to get there. A deer can easily to react to the noise and move.

I'd never attempt a shot that far on a whitetail.
wabi
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

i shot a nice eight pt @ 50.7 yds from spot last ranged. I shoot a vortex ,laser II's, brass inserts , rage broadheads. I had complete penetration and the bolt was about four inches in the ground. I think that is more than adequate. I see people wanting more speed, more speed. I don't want anymore than the vortex. In my opinion it will kill anything i want it too. Just my thoughts and experiences! :!:
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
agingcrossbower

Normally I would'nt worry about the longer shot but last time I was out to buffalo co. I got suprised at the longer distances they expected me to shoot at. I had a dandy buck at a little under 50 yards that I can see clearly in my mind today. It was a horse and it had no idea I was there. When they get big and old like that they seem slow and lazy. They are act differently.They call them slob bucks. :twisted: :twisted: Seem to never make any unnecessary moves. If I get another chance at a relaxed trophy like that I will be ready for it. I will poke him.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Turtleman wrote:i shot a nice eight pt @ 50.7 yds from spot last ranged. I shoot a vortex ,laser II's, brass inserts , rage broadheads. I had complete penetration and the bolt was about four inches in the ground. I think that is more than adequate. I see people wanting more speed, more speed. I don't want anymore than the vortex. In my opinion it will kill anything i want it too. Just my thoughts and experiences! :!:
I totally agree...and my bow is a little slower than yours lol It is not the long shots that bother me (so long as the deer is not alerted to me) it is those close shots that drive me crazy.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

aging my shot i did on a deer at 50 yards went through the deer and stuck in the ground 20 yards behind with my exocet........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Lars-Ivar

Post by Lars-Ivar »

I just put down a 4x4 bull elk at 65 m.The arrow's broad head, the Boltcutter, went 6 inches threw the far side.I hit him in the liver.He went less than 300 yards before he died.Cheers Lars-Ivar http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... C_0015.JPG
Lars-Ivar

Post by Lars-Ivar »

I just put down a 4x4 bull elk at 65 m.The arrow's broad head, the Boltcutter, went 6 inches threw the far side.I hit him in the liver.He went less than 300 yards before he died.Cheers Lars-Ivar http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... C_0015.JPG