Is there any help for my problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

birddog1520

Is there any help for my problem?

Post by birddog1520 »

I gave up archery several years ago do to shoulder problems but since Pa. has allowed the use of crossbows during regular archery season and the fact that I lose most of the gun season because I drive a snow plow for a living and it snows a lot here at that time of year. I started hunting archery again this year.

The problem I have is I find myself leaving the woods early on evening hunts because I moved to an area that has a lot of bear and being a meat hunter I don't feel comfortable shooting a deer late and possibly having to wait overnight to recover it. I'm afraid of losing the deer to a bear and in my way of thinking wasting a deer. Am I the only one thinking like this ? What do other folks do that hunt in heavy bear areas as far as shooting a deer late in the day and possibly leaving it out overnight ? Please Help!

Randy, The Birddog.
Normous

Re: Is there any help for my problem?

Post by Normous »

You can try leaving your jacket on the deer overnight. Your human scent might deter the bear.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BigNasty

Post by BigNasty »

Last edited by BigNasty on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Thanks for the replies folks.

enormous - I was thinking more along the lines of not being able to track the deer if I could find the animal I would get it out.

BeerNutz - I have to leave that up to others I don't get that much time off to hunt bear and deer, Pa's bear season only gets one weekend day to hunt and it's not worth the price of a bear tag to me for one day.

BigNasty - I actually forgot about the lantern I do have one that does not get used much I'll have to put it in the truck Thanks.

Randy, The Birddog.
rayman

Post by rayman »

I don't hunt in the evening much, except with a rifle, and when I do try to avoid shooting a deer as it is getting dark. Here it's usually too warm during bow season to let a deer lay overnight.
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Thanks rayman here we get cold enough temps, I'd just hate to lose a deer to bear food so I was looking for some advice on finding them after a shot.

Randy, The Birddog.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I hunt in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we have about 8000 bears. Hunters and people here do not worry or concern themselves with black bears. Black bears here run away as soon as they detect you. They are afraid of humans because they are hunted.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
rayman

Post by rayman »

birddog1520 wrote:I'd just hate to lose a deer to bear food
Yea. I have some friends in Clay County that have the answer to that issue. Problem is, you can't find a G&F guy when you need one but when you least expect it - Johnny on the spot.
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Fran - I'm not worried about the bear coming after me, I just don't want it or coyotes to eat the deer.

Randy, The Birddog.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have a nice little headlamp that I use for walking in and out from my stand when it's dark. It was inexspensive and it's very bright and leaves my hands free for doing whatever they need to do. It is also great for blood trailing in the dark.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

I try to find them that night even in bear country.

As far as the "they're just black bears" mind set goes... I carry some heat with me just in case. We'll let the state sort things out after the fact. I really don't feel like ever having to do hand to hand combat with a freakin' bear.

I started carrying a handgun with me after an experience last year that was pretty terrifying. Bear wouldn't leave, wouldn't leave wouldn't leave. I finally hollered loud enough that he rambled off, he then sprinted back towards me clicking and blowing the whole time, then rambled off again out of sight. It was pretty dark, so I climbed down and started walking back to the truck. About half way there he started clicking and blowing behind me, then I'd hear him sprint of to my right... blow and click, then in front, then to my left, then behind me. Pitch black and I was armed with a bow. He did that all the way back to the truck. Not cool.

After that my neighbor shot a doe about 1000 yards to the south of me (during archery still). He was tracking her and heard all kinds of noise up ahead. He lifted his head and there were two bears fighting over his doe. One of them ran off and the other bear just looked at him. He donated the doe. He's lucky the bear that lost the fight didn't see him as a doe for him.

So yes, they're just black bears, but I still have a healthy respect for them and what they are capable of.

Remember, that black bears don't do the territorial attack. Most attacks are because they are hungry, some our because a momma thinks cubs are threatened. Hunger means you fight back and fight back like hell. Most bears, no matter how hungry, will decide that their energy is better spent finding some more berries or nuts. Brown bears, however, attack mostly over territory. Play dead and hopefully he thinks the threat has been eleminated and he moves on. Plead dead with a black bear and he'll just eat ya!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

Get a cheap small radio from the dollar store and place by your deer, let it play all night, Keep everything away. Also helps you find it next day. we used to use them rabbit hunting. would set them at one end of field and the rabbits would turn back to us when the dogs ran them. Hawk
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Like panhandler, I carry a pistol on me while bowhunting. We don't really have many bears in KY to speak of, but we've got one heck of a coyote population! A hungry pack of coyotes isn't something that I want to mess with.

I would say to go ahead and hunt until dark. Keep flashlights and a lantern in your vehicle in case you have to do any trailing after dark. If you do shoot one, you should be able to find it and get it out. If you can't find it that night, just leave it and hope for the best. That's all you can do.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

If your hunting in Pa. I think you can carry concealed, but you might want to double check. The bad thing about black bears is they are extremely unpredictable. I just did a little research, you can carry semi or revolver during archery in Pa. I'm sure someone will want to argue this but it's true, your RIGHT to carry isn't revoked because it's archery season! Just don't shoot a deer with your glock!
Last edited by Gewehrhund on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
maple

Post by maple »

Safety first.

Do whatever it takes to makes you feel confident.

There are a lot of helpful suggestions here.

Maple