canning deer tonight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Re: canning deer tonight

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I know you've posted pics of your labels in the past, but how about one more time for the newbies? Okay, Okay...I want to see 'em too..I got a kick out of 'em last time! :lol:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

rayman wrote:My favorite thing to do with canned deer meat is to stir fry a bunch of ruff-chopped onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and when it's mostly done add the canned meat. Serve with rice. MMMMMM!! :D

YEP thats the big hit around here the girls call it venison tips on rice...

great pics wabi..Thats the best thing to do with Venison..everything comes out tender as can be..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've been freezing all of my stuff in the past, but I may have to get me a canner and start trying some this way. Man, that looks good! :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Wabi,
What canner you use? Can you adjust pressure?
Thanks!
Fazan
jody5050

Post by jody5050 »

i ways always taught to ALWAYS simmer/boil any home canned meats. that way it kills any bacteria. i like to add dry seasonings when canning meat. the meat makes it's own broth, however you can still add broth in small amounts. you do not want to end up forceing the liquid out of the jars, or the will not seal correctly. i have used water bath canners to do meat, but it takes about 4 to 5 hrs. and you have to add water and turn jars occassionally... god bless
exocet 200 easton power bolts tracer nocks 125gr magnus stingers bad river tagged-out fiber optic sight S5 system monkey tail string dampeners
wabi

Post by wabi »

OkXbowHunter wrote:I know you've posted pics of your labels in the past, but how about one more time for the newbies? Okay, Okay...I want to see 'em too..I got a kick out of 'em last time! :lol:
Nothing fancy this time just:

VENISON W/BEEF BROTH
11/07/2011
(TAG # 030011103012009597)
Fazan wrote:Wabi,
What canner you use? Can you adjust pressure?
Thanks!
Fazan
Mine just uses the weight on top 5, 10, or15#
For meat at our altitude I use 10#
Can't remember the model, but it can hold 7qts or 14pts.
jody5050 wrote:i ways always taught to ALWAYS simmer/boil any home canned meats. that way it kills any bacteria.......
There's really no need to pre-cook for pressure canning as the canner gets it a lot hotter than boiling can. :wink:
At 10# pressure the temp inside the canner will reach 240ºF at sea level.
After 75minutes @ 240ºF it's well cooked and tender. :lol:
wabi