Deer #4 Hitched a Ride in the Meat Wagon!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Deer #4 Hitched a Ride in the Meat Wagon!

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Nov 10. Man, it's like Christmas Day to Deer Hunters and if I had forgotten that, this morning reminded me why I tell my Wife not to plan anything for me the week prior and the week after Nov 10!

First thing this morning, I saw a small buck at about 100 yards away walking along a fence line. I grunted a few times before he disappeared into the timber. About 3 minutes later, the little 6 point is 15 yards away and looking around. Amazing how they can pinpoint where the sound came from so far away!

I decided he's too small for me right now. I only have one buck tag and two Doe tags left, so I'm being a little stingy with the Buck tag.

He walks off down an old road along a pasture. A few minutes later I look through the trees into the pasture and he's chasing a Doe. Apparently He's ready and She's not (isn't that always the case? :wink: ) They end up going back the way they came and all settled down until about 9 a.m.

I had been Doe bleeting and watching the way the two deer had gone an hour and half ago. Something caused me to look over my left shoulder and when I did, there was a Doe standing 30 yards away! Darnit, how'd she get that close without me seeing her? :oops:

I ease around in the stand and put the 30 yard chevron on her. Just as I shoot, she took a step and I hit a little back. I watch her run into the timber a few yards away. "Crap".

I decide to give her an hour before getting down and looking for my arrow. Meanwhile, I decide with all the commotion going on, I need to try and reload. Finally get that worked out and decided to give some buck grunts.

I had no sooner got done when I see a deer running toward me. I know it's a buck instantly. Don't ask me how I know, I guess after all these years I know their body language. I get the Axiom up and ready and I see it's a big 4 point. He runs across the Doe's trail and starts bird dogging her. He goes about 50 yards and I see him just standing there. All of a sudden, he ducks his head and charges back into the timber. I've seen this body language before and I know he's charging a Doe somewhere. So I put up my 6X Leupold Rangefiner and I see a butt of a deer laying on the ground. I watch for a few seconds and she moves and I instantly see that it's the doe I had just shot! :shock:

The 4 pointer keeps walking away and then charging back to the Doe. The Doe is 70 yards away and I can just make her out through the limbs and timber. I think about trying to get down quietly and slipping over there to put another arrow in her, but I know it won't happen because the steps to the tripod stand I'm in rattle with the slightest movement. I fear if the Doe hears me, she will jump up and run.

I decide to stick to my original plan and give her an hour. It's not pretty watching her die but I did. Took her about 20 minutes. Looks like I took out part of one lung and the liver.

Meanwhile, the Buck is still agitating her. Finally, after about 45 minutes, he leaves.

I'm still inside my hour timeline, so I decide to give some more Doe bleats. 5 minutes later, I see more Does coming from the direction that my Doe is located. They come within 5 yards of her and just look at her. I watch them angle toward me. "Great, I can tag out on my Does today" I thought. But I was also watching their back trail because I know what can happen.

Sure enough, just as the big Doe steps out on an old road, I see another deer bringing up the rear. It's a huge 8 point!! :shock: :D I let the Does walk all the while he's checking out the now dead Doe. But does he follow them, Heck no!! He goes wide right just beyond my range!!! You can tell he knows something is up, but he won't leave the Does! They sense something is up too and high tail it out of there, leaving me with a memorable hunt!

I'm headed back this afternoon after that big boy after I drop this Doe off at the processor (I normally do it myself, but have a lot of things to do the next few days..plus..it's the peak of the rut you know!), I think I know which thicket they went to!

Here she is, all nice and cozy in the Meat Wagon...

Last edited by OkXbowHunter on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Big58cal

Re: Doe #4 Hitched a Ride in the Meat Wagon!

Post by Big58cal »

Sounds like a heck of a morning! Congrats!!! :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
MarkMarine

Re: Deer #4 Hitched a Ride in the Meat Wagon!

Post by MarkMarine »

Okie, what an absolute thriller! Blast my eyes, you were dead in the thick of things LOL BTW, the postman had to only ring once and I jumped on that box like a bum on a bologna sammich! :lol: Much appreciated.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

sounds like somebody left the gate open :lol: congratulations
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's fun just reading . . .congrats on the doe and good luck getting the big 8. :P
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

What a memorable hunt! I hope that's not the last time we read about that 8!!! Go get 'em!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
tat4life

Post by tat4life »

congrats on a fine doe... 8)
2010 Equinox,Lumizone,munch mount,munch custom arrows,munch string..Rage 2blade
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats!Go get the big 8pt now!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats on your doe!! :D
Hope to be looking at pics of the eight pt. soon!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on another deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

MarkMarine wrote:Okie, what an absolute thriller! Blast my eyes, you were dead in the thick of things LOL BTW, the postman had to only ring once and I jumped on that box like a bum on a bologna sammich! :lol: Much appreciated.
You're welcome Mark!

BTW, sending you a PM.

Thanks everyone for your congratulations...hope I can show off the 8 pointer or one of the other bruisers I have on camera from this Summer.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on a great deer and that was a great story of your hunt.
Good luck getting Mr 8 point. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
tgranthamfd

Post by tgranthamfd »

Congrats. I, too, am in Ok. What part of the state are you in? I am in south central OK.
Terry in Oklahoma
2011 Axiom SMF
S5 System
Dampining Bars
Firebolt Carbon
Bolt Cutter 150