Here, kitty kitty!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Here, kitty kitty!

Post by MarkMarine »

First of all, my daughter sent this to me and said her future father-in-law sent it to his worthless son (her fiance') who supposedly took it from the game-cam on their land. As can be seen, I do not care for the boy and the only reason he is still alive is because my daughter begged me not to end him.

But enough of my family affairs LOL

The fact is, 10 years ago when I took my youngest son to take is mandated Hunter Safety Course (required here in Missouri), I remember the Conservation Agent teaching it saying there were NO Cougars/Mountain Lions/Panthers here in Missouri. There were those in attendance which disputed this proclamation - but the Game Warden was quite adamant about it.

However, just because he declared it does not make it so. I know I heard the cry of a big cat one night in the 60s when I was camping out with the Royal Rangers on Crowley's Ridge in South East Missouri (near to where this picture reportedly hails from).

I remember some years later walking home out of the woods at night (where I always went to play til dark) and seeing a shadowy figure follow me in the overhanging branches above my head. I could not see it clearly, but I know it wasn't flaming Felix the Cat or Garfield out for a stroll!

The point is, most of us hereabouts head out into the woods during archery season armed with our bows only and a skinning knife...and we walk into them predominantly before dawn and come out after dark. Seeing a picture like this, valid or not, gives one pause for the cause LOL I am not afraid of anything on this planet...but the thought of a Mountain Lion for some reason bothers me. Dare I say fright?

However you say it, I do not think I can take one with my bare hands. It's a little disconcerting to ponder that I come to hunt and may turn out being the one hunted. I wonder how everyone else feels about this and do you have critters in your neck of the woods that could make a meal out of you?
georgiaboy

Re: Here, kitty kitty!

Post by georgiaboy »

I saw a big cat about 10yrs ago crossing a gas line, was slouching as it crossed and was close to 4ft long. It's tail was almost as long as the body, wasn't no bobcat.
My father said i was crazy...but i know what i saw.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Our inept DNR said there were no cougars in the state of wi. until last year. Makes a person pause and think when walking in the dark. :shock:
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I've only seen a few Bobcats in my time and I agree - they look nothing alike. I wondered if anyone else picked up such animals on their cams.
vixen8pt

Post by vixen8pt »

I have seen 2 one was in 1967 or 68 @Moorefield Westvirginia standing in a big field out in the open no mistaking that.The second one was on Dans mt. in Western Maryland in Oct. of 1992.about 75 yards away.ive seen plenty of bobcats these wernt bobcats.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The meanest thing I have around my hunting grounds was someones escaped(released)? Ferret! If I had a trail cam pic like the one you have, I would only hunt during daylight hours! :lol: no sneaking around in the dark for
me
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Vixen, it is amazing that the Wildlife Agencies play down Moutain Lion sightings as a figment of our imagination. It seems they are only real when one sneaks up and bites them in the arse LOL

Hey Neil, that flaming ferret was only on you like white on rice because it saw you in that antlered disguise and thought it had some sort of large jackalope it wanted to mate with - I'd of stayed out of the woods too LOL
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

same here in ky.they say they aren't here but every year someone see one or two my little woman seen one this year and swears buy it she said it jumped across the road in front of her one night about a month ago.i have never seen one.the year before last i was turkey hunting and was in the woods well before daylight and i was not alone there was something walking with me when i would walk it did when i stopped it did and it went on for about 30 minutes and when i would shine a light i could not get it to look my way and it sounded like it was about 20 to 30 yards away that was a little spooky and i was glad when the sun came up. :lol: :lol: :lol: and i have a better light now.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My Mrs. & i were eating lunch under our tarp/spam & has a female Mtn. Lion come strollin by us about 4 yds & never paid us no mind even with my Mrs flappin her gums non-stop about the big cat. That were 2 yrs ago in summer time
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

That picture has been floating around the internet for several years. It looks like the one from Texas I think. Shows a cat pulling a deer by a tripod feeder.

The vast majority of state F&W/DNR agencies, unless it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the cats are there, will always deny they have a breeding population of mountain lions in their state. :roll: They're always going to say that "if" there is one there, it's an escaped pet. The reason? If they admit that they're there, then they have to put together a management plan for them and expend resources/money doing it. It's just a lot easier to say that they're escaped pets. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
bartbouse

Post by bartbouse »

Oklahoma denied them for years until about three years ago after some were shot and run over by cars. Now you can shoot them if they are threatening you or your animals. Can't wait to see one on the farm as I'm sure it will be threatening my cattle if I see it. :D However, I've never seen one. I do think people mistake large bobcats for them in the twilight, etc. A very large bobcat can be almost as big as a coyote. They shouldn't, but they do, as a lion is about five times larger. Kinda like that ground shrinkage on the bucks they've shot, it was sure a lot bigger when they first saw it. The proof is in the tracks. Most people that claim to see them somehow can never find that labrador size track?? Humm?
masboy

Post by masboy »

they say there is none here too but that's not true. my grandfather was a die hard coon hunter and the storie's he told about them . they called them panthers . My sons have seen them before but I never have.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I saw one 3 years ago while out on my sit.... I know what I saw and it was no bobcat, It was clearly a cougar. I watched it for about 10 - 15 minutes.... I tried to sneak up for a closer look, it winded me or saw me and ran off... It was running and leaping like a big cat...
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

i especially hate the ones that try to mate with me.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Muskyman, I know that sensation all too well LOL

Mike, that would have been a hell of a thing to see :)

Big58, I knew that boy was FOS! And it appears he came by it natural (sense his father sent him the pic) LOL

Bugs, that was a heck of an article. I wonder though, has such effected how you walk out into the woods? If I remember right, you pack a Wolverine, yes? Well, they can whip a cougar LOL

Bart, you had me LMAO @ "Now you can shoot them if they are threatening you or your animals. Can't wait to see one on the farm as I'm sure it will be threatening my cattle if I see it. " hahaha...

Mas, panther is what I always called them too...well, at least the black ones. But, since I only saw what I think I saw at night, they looked black anyway :)

Sliver, sneaking up on a big cat, eh? That takes big stones or a big hand cannon or pig-sticker in my mitt before I would LOL

Hey Neil, that flaming ferret looks like Kujo on crack LOL I'd hightail it out of there too LOL