Broadhead vs Target Points

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Broadhead vs Target Points

Post by sumner4991 »

Dirtypenny725 . . .I understand what you are saying . . .If I were that good of a shot, then I'd just use field tips.

Sure, if you put the arrow where it belongs, then you have a dead deer.

The biggest problem we face as an average hunter is "Human Error". When that happens, I want the odds in my favor.

The Slick Tricks with their 4 blades have a great deal of cutting surface, even with their "small" profile. Which is why I like them.

However, no fixed blade can go head to head with a good mechanical on accuracy in hunting conditions. Planing will give the mechanical the edge everytime. May not be much of an advantage, but, it's there. Saying that isn't the case would be the same thing as saying broadheads shoot better than field tips.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wayne

Post by wayne »

Broadheads, test as many as ya can...It's fun :D I tried many last summer while waiting for archery season to start.
Until last year I've always used fixed blades, was scared of the machanicals, (some of the ones I played with in the 80's just did not work so good).
Set up many test, for the mach. & tried, afew of them..wow there alot better then some of them 1st ones that came out.....Liked them all...But there are a few things I prefer over some others ........ For us....I really liked the Excal X-act for deer hunting ... Passed every test I put it though, along with the wifes deer, :lol: .. It's one tuff head, no rubber bands needed, but is costly....That being said, I'll still test a few more this year, because it's fun & it's a long way till next deer season :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
taz3

Post by taz3 »

What is the best type of target to shoot broadheads in to, the Realtree bag I have, doesn't recommend the use of broadheads? Is it possible to make one? I have 35 yards max, to safely shoot, if it matters.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I think that the best target you can buy for broadheads is the Rinehart 18:1. Have had mine over 3 seasons and its still going strong. Tried homemade ones using cow mats, closed cell foam, pressed card board, etc. Wrecked more broadheads trying to pull them out than it was worth. If I would have just bought the 18:1 for the $99 I would have been money ahead. :lol:
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

lvt01 wrote:I think that the best target you can buy for broadheads is the Rinehart 18:1.
I'm starting on my 3rd season with mine.

Took it moose hunting this fall and had 4 chaps shooting broadheads at the one side for the week. The way its going I think I will still get another 4 years out of this target. Well worth the initial investment.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Is this the one? If so, I'll make the trip and pick one up along with some broadheads to see how they shoot.

http://www.basspro.com/Rinehart-Targets ... 338/137622
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Yep...that's the one! :wink:
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

One other thing...you may want to invest in an arrow puller too. The screw in one that Excal sells works, but has a tendency to pull the nock out from time to time. Here in the states...Danny Miller...the Excal rep...sells a plier type one that he makes. I found that it works great and makes arrow pulling a breeze. My 2 cents!
taz3

Post by taz3 »

lvt01 wrote:One other thing...you may want to invest in an arrow puller too. The screw in one that Excal sells works, but has a tendency to pull the nock out from time to time. Here in the states...Danny Miller...the Excal rep...sells a plier type one that he makes. I found that it works great and makes arrow pulling a breeze. My 2 cents!
LOL, I have a whole list of extras and a puller is one of them, as well as the new target bag, and broadheads.

Great info! :)
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

$99 U.S for that Rinehart, hate to see what they cost here in Canada :shock:

Does anyone in Canada sell Danny Millers arrow remover ??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Bullzeye wrote:$99 U.S for that Rinehart, hate to see what they cost here in Canada :shock:

It's the same price here too, $99.99 at Bass Pro :)
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Bullzeye wrote:$99 U.S for that Rinehart, hate to see what they cost here in Canada :shock:

I know a lot of forum members on the north side of the border talk about Danny Miller's plier style puller, but I don't know if there is anyone up there that actually sells them. Maybe someone else can help out on that one.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

The Bow Shop in Waterloo sells 'em. :) (the Danny Miller pullers).
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Boo

Post by Boo »

deleted
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

VixChix wrote:The Bow Shop in Waterloo sells 'em. :) (the Danny Miller pullers).

Thanks Vix, I will google them up. :D
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone