Gun Registry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigsy

Re: Gun Registry

Post by bigsy »

Big58cal wrote: I've got a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle with a folding stock on it. With the folding stock, I believe that gun is either very restricted or prohibited up there.

Unfortunatley I believe that very gun was involved in the shooting that triggered the LGR and has become a symbol for the pro LGR folks, seems alot of the restricted firearms up here are so based only on looks :roll:
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
tsc

Post by tsc »

If I remember correctly (and that is getting fewer and farther between).

A Mini 14 "Ranch" rifle is non-restricted, while a "tactical" version is restricted in nature, due to it's barrel being shorter then 18.5" AND Centrefire AND Semi-automatic; (but the Regular Ranch rifle is not restricted, since it has a barrel over 18.5"---even though it is centrefire and semi-automatic).

Add this to the "must be greater then 26" overall length", unless it comes from the factory or factory parts are installed.

Yeah, it's confusing.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Just as an FYI, if any of ya'll are looking for a good book to read, check out More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws by John R. Lott. The 3rd edition is the latest one. You can get them pretty cheap off of Amazon.com.

Basic summary of the book:
On its initial publication in 1998, John R. Lott’s More Guns, Less Crime drew both lavish praise and heated criticism. More than a decade later, it continues to play a key role in ongoing arguments over gun-control laws: despite all the attacks by gun-control advocates, no one has ever been able to refute Lott’s simple, startling conclusion that more guns mean less crime. Relying on the most rigorously comprehensive data analysis ever conducted on crime statistics and right-to-carry laws, the book directly challenges common perceptions about the relationship of guns, crime, and violence. For this third edition, Lott draws on an additional ten years of data—including provocative analysis of the effects of gun bans in Chicago and Washington, D.C—that brings the book fully up to date and further bolsters its central contention.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Big58cal wrote:Just as an FYI, if any of ya'll are looking for a good book to read, check out More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws by John R. Lott. The 3rd edition is the latest one. You can get them pretty cheap off of Amazon.com.

I got this book for Christmas from one of my girls. I'm about a third of the way through it and it's a great read. Should be mandatory reading for politicians and gun grabbers. "Dial 911 and Die" is another book I'm looking to read in the near future.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Allan

Post by Allan »

I had the opportunity to visit Singapore a few yeras ago. I totally understand that it is a tiny country with very little natural wild areas, but not only is it illegal to own a firearm, it is illegal to posses a bullet.

Perhps I am comparing apple to oranges.
tsc

Post by tsc »

Allan wrote:I had the opportunity to visit Singapore a few yeras ago. I totally understand that it is a tiny country with very little natural wild areas, but not only is it illegal to own a firearm, it is illegal to posses a bullet.

Perhps I am comparing apple to oranges.
Interesting. Wonder what the actual crime rate is down there (not just the official published rate)? --I know they have a chewing gum ban.

Without getting into Stalin/Hitler/North Korea fact of registration leads to confiscation. The UK, Australia and New Zealand??? (perhaps they changed back); had a gun/weapons ban and violent crime actually went up---I use to have links/documentation to back up these statements, but not sure what I did with them, so I'll have to google if someone wants .

When we look at the other side of the coin, were we have Switzerland, where every able male over 18 to (35???) has compulsory military service and is issued a rifle, that they take possession of. So not only is one free to own guns, one is given one by the government. Again, I'll be interested to see what the actual crime rate is there too.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

TPM wrote:Actually Big58cal, your buddy could have legally brought the handgun up to Canada but it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. It's true, handguns are restricted up here but they're not prohibited. Just a quick run down on gun ownership in Canada for our American friends. In order to legally obtain any gun in Canada you must have a PAL (Possession/Acquisition License). In order to get this you must be over the age of 18, have a clean background (there is some subjectivity to this) and you must pass a written and practical safety test. Your PAL is good for five years at which time you must renew. The safety testing only has to be done once. The renewal is just a matter of filling out the application and sending it in. There are two levels of PALs. One is for non-restricted and one is for restricted. For the most part non-restricted guns include your long guns and restricted are mostly handguns. Of course there are a few exceptions but this but this definition covers 99% of the guns out there. Once our long gun registry is scrapped buying any rifle or shotgun will be a matter of showing your PAL and taking the gun home. Restricted guns are a bit more complicated. If your buddy wanted a handgun in Canada he would first have to have a restricted PAL. He would then have to join a handgun range. When he buys a handgun he is required to show the local firearms officer prove of membership when he goes to register it. He would also require an ATT permit (Authorization To Transport) in order to transport it to and from the range. It is a bit of a pain (I used to own handguns) but a lot of guys (and gals :wink: ) do it.
Another big difference between Canadian and American gun laws is that Canadian laws are pretty all governed at the Federal level. There is virtually no Provincial or Municipal level laws at this time to speak of. One set of rules for the whole country. This means that as long as I have my PAL I can buy a gun anywhere in Canada or take a gun anywhere in Canada without having to worry about local laws and restrictions.
Excellent explanation TPM - Thanks for clearling it up for those down south of the border who may think it's complicated as it isn't.

To your post I'd llike to add that those who want to apply for a restricted PAL must also follow the canadian restricted firearm course. A two-day course (like the non-restricted course) that you do once in your lifetime, unless of course you loose it.

Big58cal

Your comparison between the immigration process to our country and the application process for a restricted PAL license couldn't be further appart from each other as far as "convoluted" goes!! If he had informed himself he would have been able to bring his handgun with him. Ignorance is NEVER an excuse when it comes to firearms.

You mentioned that now he doens't have anything for home defence (well you aren't sure of it) Why hasn't he purchase a shotgun since moving back?

What really grabbed my attention was when you said "but I do know that he isn't using a pistol because his government doesn't trust him with one"

What do you mean by his gvt doesn't trust? There's absolutely NO trust issues here, only ignorance on his part for not informing himself of what the law is before moving back.

I don't mean to insult you or your freind, but it really drives me nuts when ppl don't have their fact straight.

I've said it before and I say it again - I, like every other long-gun owner here in Canada, am looking foward to the LGR getting canned. Are the restricted firearm laws too strick? Perhaps yes. But don't tell me that it's an issue of trust as it surely isn't!
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Yes, in my opinion it is a matter of trust. Why else would you have to have a membership to a gun range and have to have a permit to transport a handgun? Do they not trust that someone may just want to plink with it and think that they're going to go out and commit a crime with it? Why can't someone just have a handgun that they hunt with and shoot on their own land without having to show that they have a "valid reason" for having the gun and have to pay membership fees and permit fees? That tells me that the government doesn't trust it's citizens and wants to further control them.

Currently, I can walk into any gun store in my state and purchase any type of firearm I want (with the exception of fully automatic). I commit to purchase the gun, fill out the form, the dealer calls in and checks my criminal record, and I walk out with the gun. I don't need any permits, memberships, or transportation licenses. I have a shooting range set up in my field at home so I don't have to drive anywhere to shoot.

As for the guy I used to work with, I trusted that he knew the laws up there better than I did. Since TPM explained the process, I can see that "could have" taken it up there, but chose not to explore all that was required for it to happen. I didn't know all of the laws involved, but I did know that they were restricted. What all was entailed in the restriction though I wasn't aware of.

As for it being a convoluted process, I still believe that it is. The government doesn't trust it's citizens so they make them jump through hoops, knowing full well that some people just won't want to hassle with it. I mean how assinine is it to ban weapons because they "look" scary? If that be the case, why not ban certain people from society in general? The same logic applies.

Ben, I don't feel that you and I will ever agree on this. You have your opinions on the matter and I have mine.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Big58cal wrote:Yes, in my opinion it is a matter of trust. Why else would you have to have a membership to a gun range and have to have a permit to transport a handgun? Do they not trust that someone may just want to plink with it and think that they're going to go out and commit a crime with it? Why can't someone just have a handgun that they hunt with and shoot on their own land without having to show that they have a "valid reason" for having the gun and have to pay membership fees and permit fees? That tells me that the government doesn't trust it's citizens and wants to further control them.

Currently, I can walk into any gun store in my state and purchase any type of firearm I want (with the exception of fully automatic). I commit to purchase the gun, fill out the form, the dealer calls in and checks my criminal record, and I walk out with the gun. I don't need any permits, memberships, or transportation licenses. I have a shooting range set up in my field at home so I don't have to drive anywhere to shoot.

As for the guy I used to work with, I trusted that he knew the laws up there better than I did. Since TPM explained the process, I can see that "could have" taken it up there, but chose not to explore all that was required for it to happen. I didn't know all of the laws involved, but I did know that they were restricted. What all was entailed in the restriction though I wasn't aware of.

As for it being a convoluted process, I still believe that it is. The government doesn't trust it's citizens so they make them jump through hoops, knowing full well that some people just won't want to hassle with it. I mean how assinine is it to ban weapons because they "look" scary? If that be the case, why not ban certain people from society in general? The same logic applies.

Ben, I don't feel that you and I will ever agree on this. You have your opinions on the matter and I have mine.
First off, you do have to remember that you do not have here a 2nd amendment that contains as part of it a right to bear arms. That will explain a lot.

What's wrong about being part of a shooting club? Most shooting club have ranges for both handguns, for long range shooting and clay/skeet shooting. You'd need to be a member anyways to do any type of shooting in most municipalities, cities and provinces in Canada.

You bring up the fact that you can to any gun shop and purchase a handgun. So can we and it's even easier! You show you Restricted PAL and you walk out the door. I think it's great that you have your own shooting range. I wish I would have one as well, but living in the suburbs doens't permit that. The difference is - I'm ok with it.

You call it "jumping through hoops" and I call it pretty damm easy. What's two DAYS out of your ENTIRE adult life??? What's the $80 for the application out of ALL of the $$ you'll spend in your life on hunting expenses?? What about the 15mins it'll take to fill out the application, getting a few signatures and sending it in??

C'mon man, if you still call that convoluted when it's put in the greater perspective that is your whole life, then I really don't know what else to say!!

Certain firearms have been reclassified from the non-restriceted to the restricted list. Not only because of their looks, but for technical reasons as well such as possible modification that could render them, for one, full automatic rifles. You can't even own those as you said. Tomato-Tometo.

You mentioned the fact that we can't have a handgun to hunt. You're right, but considering that I can hunt with 1) my crossbow 2) my bow 3) my rifles and 4) my shotgun, I for one like many others do not see the need for a 5th. Would I try it, heck yeah I would, but I can't...and not gonna loose any sleep over it I can garantee you that!

We probably won't ever agree, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it :)

j.krug

Post by j.krug »

To say that it is not complicated to own firearms here in Canada is not at all accurate in my opinion. I believe it is quite complicated and there are many unnecessary hoops to jump through to become a legal firearms owner. I also believe as do many others that the reason for gun control here, or in any country, is due to the government's lack of trust toward the citizens.

The subject of gun control can be kicked around endlessly and not everyone will agree on every aspect of it all the time. This is how I look at it. I don't have a problem with taking a safety course to become familiar with the safe use of firearms as I think this is a good idea. Once you have proven that you can safely handle firearms you should then pass a background check to prove you aren't a criminal. Once that is done you should be free to go on your merry way and purchase whichever firearms you want without any further government involvement. Period!!

I don't believe there should be different classifications for guns. A gun is a gun and if I can be trusted with a long gun then I most certainly can be trusted with a handgun regardless of it's barrel length and magazine capacity. Owning a certain type of firearm does not make a person any more likely to commit any type of crime.

Consider also that once you get the governments permission to own restricted firearms, you will also need their additional permission to take them out of your home to use them and that they can only be used at a government approved range. You can only take them directly to the range and then directly home. As far as I'm concerned this is silly and I should be able to use my restricted firearms anywhere I can legally use my long guns, including for hunting purposes.

The laws that apply to firearms ownership here in Canada are poorly written, confusing and hard to understand. Even lawyers that specialize in firearms will tell you that is the case. How then does the common man or even the police for that matter know how to interpret them? It's difficult to say the least and has lead to many Canadian citizens being wrongly charged, found guilty and serving time in jail for ridiculous firearms offenses. It has happened on several occassions that the crown attourney will lay numerous charges against an otherwise law abiding citizen for paper crimes and unsafe storage. The cost of defending oneself in court against these charges is often too costly for the average person and would certainly bankrupt them. The crown will then offer to drop all the charges if you in turn agree to a lifetime firearms ban. What a great deal that is!!

Getting rid of the long gun registry is a good step but is only one very small step in the right direction. There is still a long way to go as far as firearms law reforms are concerned. A good second step would be to completely repeal bill C-68.

To say that it is simple to own firearms in Canada is simply not accurate in my opinion. To believe that all these laws are in place for our own safety and that the Canadian government trusts it's citzens with firearms is also BS in my opinion.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

The non-restricted Canadian Firearm Safety Course is a complete joke. Anyone who can put two + two together will pass that "exam". The practical test? C'mon now, that's even worst. And that's all in the same 7hr course! Should it be more complicated & thorough? Absolutely!!

Would you also be for or against maintaining the Restricted Canadian Firearm Safety Course?

You have to remember J. Krug and as I’ve said before, we do not in Canada have a right to own a firearm; it’s only a privilege. Change that status and you’ll have grounds to make a point as to why you should be able to own any types of firearms. Would that also include those in the prohibited list?

Hunting with any type of firearms however is a whole different thing – you’re mixing up federal and provincial laws and regulations here as provinces are free to opt-out of these laws.

But say that someone passes both safety courses, obtains both types of licences and you get ready to go shoot some frozen milk jugs in your backyard or at the cottage, but you decided as a responsible citizen to look up your city’s or municipality’s firearm discharge by-laws. Not sure about your home town of Amherstburg, but a vast majority of cities and municipalities will not allow the discharge of firearms on their territories. Won’t you then end up back at the range nonetheless?

Even your Conservative party has said on many occasions that they do not intend to bring any amendments to the Criminal Code and Firearm Act in regards to the restricted firearms. I am sure that you must find that quite disappointing.

Like I've said before, the definition of “complicated” differs quite a bit from person to another. When you apply it to what it takes to own a firearm in Canada, I personally see it as a very small drop of water in the 'ol bucket of life.

TPM

Post by TPM »

I was a part time gun dealer back in the 1990's when gun control and registration was a very hot topic here in Canada. I put a lot of time and energy into opposing the proposed legislation at time and if there is one thing I learned it's that it's all about political pressure and vote buying, not common sense. Anti-gun lobby groups work to convince the Liberals that tighter gun control will buy them votes and pro-gun groups work to convince the Conservatives that loosening up gun control will buy them votes. The number one job of any ruling Government is to stay in power and the vast majority of what they do is based on that premise. From there the respective political party's try to convince the Canadian citizens that their stance is in the best interest of Canada as a whole. This whole "model" is why our laws are so screwed up. It has nothing to do with what is effective and makes sense but instead what is PERCEIVED to be effective and vote gaining. Don't waste your breath trying to convince what seems to be an uninformed government that they are wrong. Both sides of the argument are well aware of the stats and studies. They just use what ever self serving information they can glean to support their side of the issue and secure their voting block and ignore the rest. While I agree that the Government would much prefer that there was no private gun ownership in Canada I don't think the "trust" factor is as big a driving force as it's made out to be. Just my 2 cents... :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Trust factor is not an issue in municipal government either.
They look at costs of policing within their own boundaries.
They set calibre and discharge laws which hamper us further.
What this means is there are no standards across the province or country.
Governments have too much freedom and we have none.

On top of that we do not have a constitution or bill of rights.
Everything in this country is a privilege which can go away with the stroke of a pen.

And I am really tired of Canada having to kiss the queens butt all the time. We can't even install or dissolve a government without royal ascent!!!!

Sorry for the rant, time for more caffeine.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

The whole thing is useless, but it's nothing more than useless. Gun ownership is still very straight forward and easy in Canada, I buy, sell and trade long guns as I wish with limited complexities.

I have seen and heard others claim that they are being treated like criminals. I have through the registration time surrendered 6 unregistered long guns (old .22's and .303's, the old cooey in the attic for 20years) to gun stores for friends. The people working at the registry are super and I have never encountered more than a joke made, no criminal accusations.

Futher, their are thousands upon thousands of liberal voters who support private gun ownership (farmers, northerners, rural folk) and thousands upon thousands of conservative voters who hate private gun ownership (see GTA).
I'm sick of people trying to polarize liberals and conservatives over this.

It needs to go because it's useless, no other reason. Canadians gun owners should not vote, casting their countries future, based soley on this issue. It is to me, a guy with a safe full of guns, insignificant to the way I carry on,- a mild pain in the ass, nothing more.
Last edited by evaughan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

CanuckBen wrote:The non-restricted Canadian Firearm Safety Course is a complete joke. Anyone who can put two + two together will pass that "exam". The practical test? C'mon now, that's even worst. And that's all in the same 7hr course! Should it be more complicated & thorough? Absolutely!!

Would you also be for or against maintaining the Restricted Canadian Firearm Safety Course?

You have to remember J. Krug and as I’ve said before, we do not in Canada have a right to own a firearm; it’s only a privilege. Change that status and you’ll have grounds to make a point as to why you should be able to own any types of firearms. Would that also include those in the prohibited list?

Hunting with any type of firearms however is a whole different thing – you’re mixing up federal and provincial laws and regulations here as provinces are free to opt-out of these laws.

But say that someone passes both safety courses, obtains both types of licences and you get ready to go shoot some frozen milk jugs in your backyard or at the cottage, but you decided as a responsible citizen to look up your city’s or municipality’s firearm discharge by-laws. Not sure about your home town of Amherstburg, but a vast majority of cities and municipalities will not allow the discharge of firearms on their territories. Won’t you then end up back at the range nonetheless?

Even your Conservative party has said on many occasions that they do not intend to bring any amendments to the Criminal Code and Firearm Act in regards to the restricted firearms. I am sure that you must find that quite disappointing.

Like I've said before, the definition of “complicated” differs quite a bit from person to another. When you apply it to what it takes to own a firearm in Canada, I personally see it as a very small drop of water in the 'ol bucket of life.

I agree that the non restricted training course is not up to par. As I said in my earlier post I am definately in favour of potential owners taking a safety course. I also believe that it should include restricted firearms. Both courses need to be revamped to be more comprehensive.

I'm well aware of the fact that it is a privledge to own firearms. That does not mean that I have to agree with it or like it. I'm not foolish enough to believe that it will change and become a right any time soon. As I said in my earlier post if a person does not have acriminal record and they pass the safety course they should be able to own any gun they desire. I don't believe there should be different classifications...a gun is a gun so yes that would include prohibs.

As for hunting with handguns I know that it's mixing federal and provincial laws but I fail to see what that has to do with anything?? Handgun hunting was allowed in Canada up until 1975 and I see no reason it shouldn't be allowed now.

As for shooting milk jugs up at the cottage my previous post stated that a person should be allowed to shoot handguns anywhere that it is legal to shoot long guns. Obviously if it is not legal to shoot long guns in a particular township then the same would apply to handguns. "Legal" was the key word there.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads