Coyote Hunting - Decoys and Calls

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mountain Man

Coyote Hunting - Decoys and Calls

Post by Mountain Man »

I'm new to coyote hunting and I'm looking to purchase a decoy which will bring them in. I will be hunting a meadow about 100 yards by 200 yards.

I have been researching vibrating decoys which emit a "rabbit in distress" type call. Most I've looked at have not had very favourable reviews.

Has anyone had success using a particular make/model?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Mountain Man
TB

Re: Coyote Hunting - Decoys and Calls

Post by TB »

Not to hijack this thread but on the same topic which may interest others. A few weeks back I was watching a hunting show on Wild TV and the hunters were calling coyotes (wasn't the normal predator hunting shows). They were using a very small fawn decoy that had a head that rotatated back over it's shoulder. It let out a distress call at the same time. It was very effective. Does any one know the show or more importantly who manufactures the decoy and who sells it. I've googled it and only come up with a few vibrating ones or foam types.

Tim
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Google up "Mojo critter" , cost $35 - $40.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Hi Guys, Thought this was a field that I maybe able to reply with some of my experence as for decoys. I'm sure there is others here that have far more experence then I but what I have learned is that the rabbit effect decoys "Quiver" when operating. The Mojo Critter spins and seems to add a little more movement and could be seen at a farther point by the prey.

As far as close up action I have seen two different hunts this winter stand out where the coyote is running into the calling set and is looking right at the mojo critter while it is running to get down wind of the decoy.

I have taken a couple pictures of the coyote down with the critter in the same picture as they get that close.

To me its the best money spent if you want to be a serious coyote hunter. I could see the fawn decoy being a part of great success in the spring after the fawns have dropped but at this time of the year the critter is working fine.

The coyote is on the left and critter on the right

The close up

another set where the coyote is on the right and the critter is on the left but I think I missed it in the picture its on the edge

Close up

You can see I added a little to my Critter as I attached a white wing feather to the top of it in the above pic's

Here are some other kills this winter

Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Another nice thing about the Mojo is that it spins then stops for a second or two, then spins again, instead of always constantly moving.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Thanks Adrian - great info and pics.

So your call is separate from your decoy. What make of call are you using - is it a Foxpro? Are you using a "rabbit in distress" sound to attract the coyotes?

Thanks again,
Mountain Man
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

MM , I use both type of calls but yes the main call is the Fox pro. I've seen that calling with blow type calls - I'm running out of air this year believe it or not :?

The main call that I have had the most luck with is the Jack rabbit distress and it has killed the most of them so far. Quakerboy makes the 3 Dog Night all open reads and the Pup call makes a great Jack rabbit distress that has worked too.

Sequences are important and don't be scared to change them up as Coyotes here seem to figure them out fast.

I will be at the Carp show in April 13-14-15 to do Turkey Seminars and if you want to chat Coyotes drop around , I'll try my best to help anyone. They need to be reduced...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

great pictures and big coyotes..hope you get a lot more of them
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16