Boltcutters for Turkeys??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nc crossbow

Boltcutters for Turkeys??

Post by nc crossbow »

Just wanted to find out if anyone has been using the boltcutters for spring turkey hunting. Decided to put up the shotgun bbl this year and try the crossbow this year. Been using MX-4s for years with the vertical bow back in NH, NY, and VT but now that I've converted I was hoping someone else has used the boltcutters. Thanks
muskyman454

Re: Boltcutters for Turkeys??

Post by muskyman454 »

i shot two turkeys last fall with boltcutters and i lost one.but it sailed off of the ridge and i could not see where it sailed to the first one i broke a wing and it could not get off of the ground.i was trying for a spine on the second bird but was off to the right a little bit.they will work fine but try for the wing or spine.if you live in the mountains.
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

I also lost a turkey last year with a bolt cutter, may have shot it to low. I found blood and feathers, after tracking the bird flew out of a tree and out of sight. I'm going to try 3 blade rages this spring.
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
rayman

Post by rayman »

I'm not going to shoot turkeys with boltcutters again. Shot two and lost them both.
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Turkeys are very strong birds and with a poorly place shot; you will probably find feathers & blood; but you will probably lose the bird. In my opinion, a well sighted in bow, correct distance measurement & your arrow placement are critical.

From my experience, any deer hunting broadhead will work fine with turkeys. Also, from my experience, the turkey specific broadheads have been of no value to me and were not worth the money.

I have had absolutely no problems harvesting turkeys with Spitfires, BoltCutters or X-Act mechanicals. In my opinion, the proper placement for a killing shot on a turkey is at the base of the wing bone -- where the wing attaches to the body. The instant kill-zone is about the size of a fifty-cent piece.

Laura, you may wish to chime-in on this one. :-)
Last edited by Meat Hunter on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

Meat is right, hit them where you are supposed to with just about any broad head and you'll have a dead bird.
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
tman74

Post by tman74 »

I'd use something with a much greater cut than boltcutters. I've been using a twin blade mech with a 2.75" cut for the past few years and have yet to loose a bird. Most don't travel more than a foot or two.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
nc crossbow

Post by nc crossbow »

Thanks for the help on this one since I've been using shotguns for quite a while but wanted to give the crossbow a chance since I've shot them with a vertical bow and muzzy's but didn't want to switch to mechanicals since I've had great success with deer and the boltcutters.... Thanks again.
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

How much meat gets screwed up from shooting a bird with a crossbow? I guess I like the headshot with a shotgun because the meat remains untouched...
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

its all shot placement i did lose one bird out of six with boltcutters , they are tough no doubt, i do suspect a wider cutter would help a tad