Sighting in 1st crossbow with excaliber multi red dot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bryman021

Sighting in 1st crossbow with excaliber multi red dot

Post by bryman021 »

My new Ibex package will be arriving tomorrow. Since this is my 1st crossbow I have a few questions about sighting it in. It is coming with the multi red dot sight, and has 4 dots for multiple yardages.

My main concern is once I am ready to take the 1st shot how far(in general) can I expect the sight to be off. I know this probably varies alot so I don't expect precise measurements to be given. I will be shooting at a bag style target that is 21" x 21". I I have an old porch swing frame that I am going to hang the target on. Can I expect the arrow to hit the bag on the 1st shot from 20yds? I'd hate to lose one of the arrows right away, as I will only have the 4 that it comes with for at least the next week.

I was thinking about trying to set up some type of "safety" backstop in the event of a miss, so I don't have to go hunting for arrows(or lose one). I have access to bales of hay that I am considering putting around the bag target. I know that hay bales are not a good target material but will they at least stop an occasional flier? Hopefully I don't miss and won't have to worry about it.

I am pumped to see that big brown truck pull up to my house tomorrow!!
I thank all of you for your help and suggestions.
vixenmaster

Re: Sighting in 1st crossbow with excaliber multi red dot

Post by vixenmaster »

Ok take a deep breath let it out slowly, set yer target at 10 yds. make 1st shot. Then you can tell if'en 2 nd shot will hit or miss :lol: Take top/1st dot sight it in at 20 then every additional 10 yds another dot. Enjoy it & keep all thumbs fingers & toes wid feet below the rail deck! If'en you don't you may scream like a girl when string rips half of body part loose :(
Last edited by vixenmaster on Thu May 03, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

When i got my Equiniox, it took about 5-6 shots to dial it in, at 20 yards, they was the first groun i shoot once sighted in

2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You're going to be buying arrows if you keep shooting at one spot, fwiw. :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum, you are going to love your Excalibur Ibex.
Raymond
bryman021

Post by bryman021 »

vixenmaster wrote:Ok take a deep breath let it out slowly, set yer target at 10 yds. make 1st shot. Then you can tell if'en 2 nd shot will hit or miss :lol: Take top/1st dot sight it in at 20 then every additional 10 yds another dot. Enjoy it & keep all thumbs fingers & toes wid feet below the rail deck! If'en you don't you may scream like a girl when string rips half of body part loose :(

That sounds like a good plan, I will start at 10 yds and go from there. Hopefully the only screaming like a girl will be from my wife when she sees the new crossbow I bought. I haven't told her yet. :shock:
bryman021

Post by bryman021 »

awshucks wrote:You're going to be buying arrows if you keep shooting at one spot, fwiw. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip, I have seen alot of posts mentioning that. The target I got has 4 bulls eyes on it, and with the kit coming with 4 arrows I will shoot one at each bulls eye, retrieve, repeat.
bryman021

Post by bryman021 »

I got my Ibex crossbow today, and assembly was a breeze. Set up my target and fired two shots from 10 yards. The red dot sight was almost dialed in right out of the box. moved to 20 yards and fired 3 shots and made the needed adjustments. Next three were all bulls eyes!! After some more shooting I moved back to 30 yards and tested the appropriate dot for that yardage. Was dead-on and all bulls again! What a great crossbow! I am so glad I went with an excalibur crossbow, I could not be happier!

Anyone who is looking for an extremely accurate crossbow, do not hesitate, hands down Excalibur is #1!