What type of serving material for 1st time server?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bryman021

What type of serving material for 1st time server?

Post by bryman021 »

I have an Excalibur Ibex and it has the stock excel string on it. I just recently got the xbow. I have put roughly 125 - 150 shots on it. I just noticed yesterday that the center serving is starting to separate in a few places. I have been reading up on reserving and feel I can do it with some practice, but I'm confused as to what material would be best for me to start learning with. The main ones I see are Halo and angel Majesty, but some ppl say they are hard to work with. Since this is the first time I will be attempting this is there a "beginner" serving material that will make it easier to get right? Even if the serving doesn't last forever that's ok cause I will just get more practice.

Thanks in advance
vixenmaster

Re: What type of serving material for 1st time server?

Post by vixenmaster »

Go with those 2 either one & learn with them. Its all good friend anything from .026 on up & don't shoot yer string til it cuts into the string strands!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Dash

Post by Dash »

G'day bryman, Both Halo and Majesty are good serving materials. The .036 Brownell crossbow serving is also good, and is easier to serve than the halo which is flattish and can be twisted if not careful.
Last edited by Dash on Wed May 09, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

Listen to post by Boo the premire string builder and my advice buy a real good quality server so you can put on the serving very tight and find a way to get your string tight while serving Boo has plans for string serving jig
strum

Post by strum »

your on the right track ..the beauty of it is you can reserve as much as needed. if you havent already go to Boo's web site ..he has a great tutorial on reserving and putting on cat whiskers..i agree with the others ..get a good tool like the
AAE Cavalier pro..its not very expensive and works well.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I haven't seen Brownell Crown mentioned that much. Does it lay flat or stay round? How well does it hold up?
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Boo

Post by Boo »

Crown and Halo both like to lay flat and are both slick so they are somewhat more difficult to put on and not separate. Consecutive servings are always much easier to put on and not separate so servings like 0.026" Angel Majesty and Brownell's 0.036" Crossbow Serving both work well because they dig into the string better than Halo or Crown. Of the two, Angel Majesty requires the least amount of tension to put on and Brownell is a bit more difficult.
The best serving that I've found so far is Outerlimit Archery and Cavalier Pro. The Outerlimit Archery is the best one because it has the largest friction disc so it lets out the serving material more evenly.
If you are looking for something send me a PM, I might be able to help you. I have a few Outerlimit serving tools and jig spools of 0.026" Angel Majesty and black Brownell for sale.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bryman021

Post by bryman021 »

Thanks for all the great tips everyone!! I am in the process of setting up a string jig from Boo's plans. I also ordered one of the custom strings from Wyvern Creations, I will have it in just a day or two. I see no reason to just discard the stock string though and figure it will be a good string to learn to serve with. From what you all have suggested I think I will be trying the Angel Majesty for material, and either the cavalier pro or the outerlimit for a serving tool.

Boo thanks for the offer, PM sent.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

bryman021 wrote:Thanks for all the great tips everyone!! I am in the process of setting up a string jig from Boo's plans. I also ordered one of the custom strings from Wyvern Creations, I will have it in just a day or two. I see no reason to just discard the stock string though and figure it will be a good string to learn to serve with. From what you all have suggested I think I will be trying the Angel Majesty for material, and either the cavalier pro or the outerlimit for a serving tool.
Boo thanks for the offer, PM sent.
Check out this thread.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=42385

I was very pleased with the outcome. Angel Majesty is the best serving material I've seen so far. 300 shots through my exomag and serving still looked like new.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Boo

Post by Boo »

0.036" is not a no hassle serving. It is true it lasts but it is far more expensive to use per serving and there are a couple of pitfalls to using it. I had 3 servings break after less than 50 shots and it tore up string material. 0.026" is more of a no hassle serving material.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

If I was to do 5 or more servings a month then expense would be a consideration.
To replace 2 or 3 servings a year then the extra expense would be worth it to me, especially if it was on a custom string.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
houser52

Post by houser52 »

PM to you Boo.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Here's how to, as shown by the masterhimself: Boo
http://crossbow-review.com/TechCorner/TechCorner.htm
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!