Economical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Economical Broadheads

Post by Dash »

What "cheaper" priced broadheads have you tried, that you think fly well and are generally good value for money.
I've tried some of the quality brands out, but with postage they're a bit hard on the wallet over here. Id love to find a more economical option that still performs well.
mr meat

Re: Economical Broadheads

Post by mr meat »

i have allways used wasp hammer-sst 125grain! the last ones i bought were 45.95 and thats for 6 and have shot lots of deer and one turkey! thats what came with my exocet back in 2002 and thats all i use!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Most of today's ferrules are very well made and will last a very long time. You mught want to look at the cost of replacement blades when picking a broadhead and buy based on the cost of the replacement blades.

I know some of the guys buy the very expensive blades that have a lifetime warranty . . .not a bad option, unless you lose your broadheads.

I keep thinking I'm going to try/test some different broadheads, but, the ones I have are still good. I buy broadheads based on their cutting surface . . .not the price. Can't put a price on dropping a deer in it's tracks . . .well, within reason.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I really like Slicktricks & Razor is my most go to BH. About $25 stateside per 3
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I'm always trying something new but end up going back to the 125 grain Muzzys. You can buy 6 of them for about the price for 3 of most heads . But for Me the biggest advantage is once you spin check them and get them flying good with the practice blades , you take off only the tip, remove practice blades install hunting blades and they fly the same. When I shot v-bow I would glue the the head into the shaft because I could change the blades from the tip.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Slick tricks in a fixed blade & BP red head gator in a mech. I've never shot anything with the gator but a buddy of mine shoots them...blood trails are nasty!! :shock:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

X2 on the Wasp sst 125 gr hammers. They shoot with my fieldpoints out to 40 yds. I've tried alot of broaddheads and they suit me best. The secret to any broadhead is to be sure that it spins true. This is one reason why I stick with aluminum shafts. You can heat them and twist the insert and get them true.
I've also shot many deer with NAP Thunderheads. They are somewhat trickier to get to fly well. Slick Tricks may be the easiest to use. They fly great, but they group a little bit differen tly than fieldpoints for me. Wasp has a company store and 3 broadheads and 2 extra blade packages are around $34.
If you want to PM me your address, I'll send you one to try. I don't have a broadhead target anymore; I shoot them into a pile of sand. I also have 6 Thunderheads I would give you, however, I don't know if I have any blades. If I do, they would be strictly practice blades.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Nothing personal with those who shoot muzzy's. I still hold bad taste fer them & their snotty mouth towards Crossbows & the crossbow shooters/hunters. I hold grudges against archery companys that treated crossbow ppl. like red-headed step children
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Magnus Snuffers are reasonably priced , sharpen yourself , fly well and best of all hey are guarenteed for life . Break one and they will send you a new one . I think the ones I have cost $26 US for 6 heads about 3 years ago .
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks guys. I'll have a look into those broadheads a bit more on the net. Its easy to stuff tips and blades shooting into a backdrop of rock which is often the case where I go. I'd love a cheaper broadhead option when hunting this type of ground and save the good stuff.
Cheers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

The Muzzy broadheads I have, I purchased before their stand on crossbows was known to me. Actually got them for my vertical bow a number of years ago.

They are the 115 grains 4 blade model.
I like the way they assemble and lock together. The price is more affordable than most and they fly well out of the crossbow.

I don't like that the blades are only 0.020" in thickness. Even on deer sized game the blades don't survive contact with bone. The edges curl over and I've had them break as well. Now I treat them as disposable and don't hesitate in taking a shot on a squirrel or rabbit when deer hunting. I wouldn't use them for moose or black bear.

The 125 Thunderheads have proven their metal to me and when I need to I will tune some up for hunting. I don't care if they have same POI as field points. Once I set the bow up for hunting then it stays that way till the end of the season. If I want to fling some field points then I adjust my aim for that session.

No doubt there are many other fine broadheads on the market today making the choice a tough one.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
ottawacats

Post by ottawacats »

If you are looking for a inexpensive fixed broadhead for lets say target shooting then check this following Ebay auction # 170801926110 from a company called archery-wholesaler. They seem to fly ok for target practice and for the price I figured they would be worth a try, I havent used them for any hunting. For Hunting I will stick with the Excal broadheads in 150grain.

matt
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I shoot Excalibur X-Act 100gr. broad heads and Excalibur Bolt Cutter 150gr. broad heads .
Raymond
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Dash . . .I failed to tell you . . .the Stricknines and the Hammerheads have replaceable tips . . .there are probably others too. It's just another reason I shoot them.

Replacing the parts is definitely cheaper than replacing the broadhead. Just depends on if you are losing them or damaging them.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

muzzys and slicktricks fly great for me and are cheap.