2116 aluminum insert vs 2117 brass insert in the wind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

2116 aluminum insert vs 2117 brass insert in the wind

Post by masboy »

we have 20 mph winds today with higher gust out of the nw and my range faces se so decided to compare the two in the wind at 50yds from my sitting shooting over my knee. there all super slams that shoot good but the 2216 have an aluminum front insert and weigh 420 gr. and the 2117 have a brass insert in the front an weigh 497 gr. and are my hunting arrows and you can see why. the first picture is my first four shots today with my 2117 and the second is the 2216 shot right after the others were shot and all were shot in a strong wind. so for me the lighter faster arrows are not near as good in the wind or as forgiving as the heavier arrow with a high foc.

Limbs and Sticks

Re: 2116 aluminum insert vs 2117 brass insert in the wind

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

That's a good test, I don't think many here take fifty yard shot's, I've found fast enough sticks don't have any trouble out to forty yds in the wind which is as far as I want to shoot at bull winkle.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

That's a lot more difference than I would have thought for a mere 80 grain diff.

So just a question, are those fletchs offset, helical? have you tested to see if helical handles wind better?
Dash

Post by Dash »

Good test masboy. What weight of brass insert and field point did you use?
I increased up front weight (insert and tip) with helical blazers and acheived similar results between 40-60 meters with a side wind. Stuck with that ever since. It definately limits the variables for consistant longer distance shooting.
masboy

Post by masboy »

a lot of helix and the wind was gusting at times and I use 110 gr brass inserts and 100 gr tips.the worst arrows I shot in the wind were 5 inch feathers .I always use helix but now use the arizonia Fletcher and seems to do best in the wind and I pulled the one shot because the wind was blowing so hard .
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Nice Shooting!! Where did you get the brass inserts for aluminum? I use wooden and or aluminum slugs in 2213, but the brass would save a ton of time.Thanks for the post.
masboy

Post by masboy »

I get mine from Lancaster archery and there made for gt lazer 11 but fit good in firebolts,2117,2114 I think the diameter is .300 for the 110 gr brass inserts.