13 Acres

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kenspiel

13 Acres

Post by kenspiel »

We closed today on 13 acres. I have had 4 previous farms with Dairy, Beef and horses but sold my last farm -172 acres and retired to a Lake community. I needed a place and was looking for 20-40 acres but settled on this 13 acres 3.5 miles from my house.

It is a Deer sanctuary, all grown up with 20 yr old Maples and other trees. Lots of waist to chest high weeds and briars. Goldenrod mostly. It was a Bean field 20 yrs ago and is a flat piece of ground. It has a wash spiraling through it and water streams when it rains. Dry now.

Heres what I have planned: to Bushog some areas and trails just so I can see what I have. Leaving plenty of sanctuary areas (its only 13 acres). It has Bean field on one side, Corn across the road and a big woods in the back. I plan on digging some - maybe 2 - holes in the wash to hopefully hold some water.

The previous owner says he has shot several Bucks and last year saw what he says could be a State record Buck. I am just quivering. Its small, but now I won't have to ask anyone to hunt their land. I am going to put a shed on it to hold my stands, blinds, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I may plant a few small plots in the Spring.

Re: 13 Acres

Post by diesel »

Congrats sounds like a nice place. Wishing you the best of luck.
roly

Post by roly »

Some time you don't need a lot of acres
just the right acres

sounds like a great stage area for deer
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Like they say in real estate , ' location , location , location " . Have seen some small parcels of land turn out to be real honey holes . Scouting and game cameras will help you see if you have found hunting nirvana .
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

13 acres may be a bit tight with shed and all (it's about the size of my place, including one acre food plot-that doubles as a septic tank), just make sure the activity doesn't empty the bedroom of your desire. :D Have a great time Farmer, planning and doing what life is all about.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the property!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like a nice little piece of land you have. Good luck and safe hunting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
epd1102

Post by epd1102 »

If you decide to make some trails, you might want to consider one of the DR Field & Brush mowers. We have one and it's just perfect for making deer trails and clearing small areas, depending on how much walking you're willing to do.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations on your purchase. 13 acres sounds like heaven to me... enjoy and good luck!
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

unclefester wrote:My 2 cents...

Before you go and cut and make trails..keep in mind the wind direction that usually happens in the fall(in my area south west)

With this in mind plan your food plots and future stand loctions around your wind.(set up and getting to and from without being detected)Being such a small pice you need to try to go undetected wile hunting.( all of your efforts will be wasted if your stand location blows your scent into the bedding area)

Good luck.

Ken.
Great advice, :D

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
bayman1975

Post by bayman1975 »

Some time you don't need a lot of acres
just the right acres
I know a gentleman here in Arkansas that bought a 4 acre block that ran off a county road and up a draw between two ridges that were parts of much larger blocks of land. He put two box stands on the property; each within sight of the county road, and each other. Between him and his boys, they take 7 to 9 bucks a year off this 4 acre block of woods. Location, location, location.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

unclefester wrote:My 2 cents...

Before you go and cut and make trails..keep in mind the wind direction that usually happens in the fall(in my area south west)

With this in mind plan your food plots and future stand loctions around your wind.(set up and getting to and from without being detected)Being such a small pice you need to try to go undetected wile hunting.( all of your efforts will be wasted if your stand location blows your scent into the bedding area)

Good luck.

Ken.
That's good advice there Ken. You can change and manipulate many thing in your favour for hunting but the prevailing winds not so much. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
omega5m14

Post by omega5m14 »

I have 28 acres. It borders several hundred
thousand acres of wooded mountain on the back
side, open field on one side and a mixture of
woods and rural homes on the other two. I'm retiring
next year and I plan on putting out food plots,
feeders and re-cut some old fire roads that
criss cross the property. This is one thread
I want to follow religiously. I have deer and
I want to set my land up to keep them. I have
a 2.5 acre pond and several old strip pits
with creeks. Water isn't a problem.
Keep the tips coming; I'm taking notes.
Dano
TET Survivor 68 & 69
kenspiel

Post by kenspiel »

UPDATE: Have been enjoying the 13 acres. Made some trails, a water hole, put out some blinds. And a camera. i have had 18 different Bucks go thru my camera since September. 10 pt on down - about 4 real nice ones. I have seen 4 of them including the best one but could not get a good shot. I have shot 1 Doe with the Bow and another big Doe during gun season. The nice 10 pt visits regularly, I don't think they are to pressurred, I am the only one hunting there. My Grandson will be here soon and will try with the Bow. There are Maples, Oaks, Ash, Cedar, Poplars, Willows, 1 sycamore tree, and 1 Catalpa tree, and some other trees and I am enjoying them all. The neighbor is going to put about an acre of beans in this next year on my place. I have 1 small food plot planted and have seed for another in the spring. Anyway, just an update. - Ken
sportsman70003

Post by sportsman70003 »

Good job Ken, keep doing what you are and make it your own Honey Hole!!
Suppressor 400 TD
Dragon Claw Arrows
Ravntek Broadheads