Incorrect target - 2 inserts lost ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JT of PA

Incorrect target - 2 inserts lost ...

Post by JT of PA »

I received 6 Firebolt arrows with my Ibex.

Two of them have now lost their field head and aluminum insert while being pulled out of a 3-D target. Both were hits in the upper leg region and it felt like the arrow was imbedded in some sort of internal framing/support in the target.

Bottom line - my mistake, did not hit the kill zone and I don't think the arrows are made to go into the solid framing/support they went into.

Fortunately, Dan Miller's arrow puller saved the day both times and allowed me to retrieve the arrow shafts.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my Firebolts, however being new to archery and 4 weeks into my crossbow I am not sure what is usual and un-usual.

If inserts are meant to come out under diress so they don't wreck the arrow please let me know and no more head scratching on my part when it happens. Do some of you glue the insert back in? I saw in a magazine that there are now inserts that use a hex wrench to tighten them into place, no glue and supposedly (according to the advertisement) very strong.

I don't forsee missing too bad going forward, but, just in case. :D

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JT
vixenmaster

Re: Incorrect target - 2 inserts lost ...

Post by vixenmaster »

Best advice is what you learned don't shoot yer arrows into a real hard material unless its bone on yer game animal
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Losing the insert is a frustrating problem I solved w/ Gorilla Carpenters glue, no water.

I'm sure other glues work well, but this stuff has kept my arrows together for quite a while............

I recently got an order of GT shafts in and the brass inserts had flats milled on them 120 degrees apart.

Fwiw, hot melt on the nocks to ease changing the dinged ones.............
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's a common complaint with pre-made arrows(not custom arrows).

The last batch of pre-made arrows I got, I took the inserts out and used Gorilla Glue to secure them.

The good thing about Gorilla Glue is the insert will not come out. The bad thing about Gorilla Glue is the insert will not come out. Therefore, made sure you want that weight of insert to stay in there forever before using Gorilla Glue.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen