Time for new string?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Panhandler80

Time for new string?

Post by Panhandler80 »

New strings are affordable. Time for me to spring for a new one? Do folks bother having them re-served, or is it not worth the cost when you can just get a new one.

Anyway, here's the pic of my serving. I keep it well waxed, but there's a pretty sporty dent here. Earlier it looked almost as though the serving was completely seperated.

We have four days of rifle coming up (Thanksgiving day through the weekend) and then a week of crossbow, then ML, then rifle. I don't have a ML so I'd like to use my crossbow through it.

Definitely want to use it today.

You guys think this is okay to hunt with today? Really don't want to re-string next weeek for crossbow / muzzle loader, but I will. I will not try to re-string today for this afternoon's hunt. Too much going on.

This safe?

I am about half way through my second season's use of this bow. Mind our season down here runs from Oct 21 through Feb 28, so that's a lot of use. I've probably shot it... gee, I don't know... 350 times maybe. I've probably let it down 40 times or so. It probably has 200 hours or so being cocked. Rough math here of course. Just trying to give yall an idea of not just age, but use of string.

Here ya go. Oh, and my next one will be a custom string. I have yet to dry fire this one, so...

In real life it looks a little worse than this. In the pic I have rotated the string 90 degrees towards the stock so you can see where the clasps have been diggin in.

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
Woodspike

Re: Time for new string?

Post by Woodspike »

Get out and shoot that thing! :D

So long as the string isn't fraying, and the serving isn't broken, you're good to go! I wish I could get that much time out of my serving...

If it's peace of mind your after, pick up a spare string and keep it in your pack, but from what I see, you still have a ways to go before you need a string, or serving.

-Woods.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2, flip it end for end and have at it. I'd order a few extra's from Danny Miller..........no change in poi w/ same string and same b-height........
"Eze 18:21"
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Well... We're on our way. 4 weeks in, this will be 5 th sit. Brown and down today!!!!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

If it were mine I'd just turn the string and keep shooting! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

When it wore out I would have it reserved and buy another string as a back up. Vixenmaster and Boo on here also makes great strings.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

It looks fine to keep shooting. Just stop shooting if the serving breaks, or the serving starts seperating which would allow the trigger to damage the string strands.
If you get a boo string or another non standard string as a spare, Its worth fitting it straight away and working out the POI difference, so when its needed you don't get any surprises in the field.