Scored! - The Equinox Strikes Again!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Scored! - The Equinox Strikes Again!

Post by Big58cal »

Since I'm basically done with deer for the year, and I've gotten several pictures of turkeys down on the farm, I decided to try and see if I could pop a turkey with the Equinox and Swhackers. :wink:

Sat last weekend in my pop-up blind all day on Saturday, but didn't see any turkeys. Had some fox squirrels harassing me, so Friday night I swapped out on of my broadhead tipped arrows for one with a field tip. One way or another, I was going to bring home some meat this weekend! :lol:

Got the blind set up and settled in for the day. Temp at daybreak was 21 degrees. Beautiful day. Nice and sunny with little wind, just a tad cool. A little after daylight I had a deer come in over on the right side of the blind, but I only had just the small window in front open, so I couldn't see what it was. The deer came in so far, but stopped and then went back the way it had come. I had the wind in my favor, so the only think I can figure is that it saw the blind and didn't like it. Oh well, I wasn't down there after deer anyway. :wink:

Before daylight I had swapped out the memory card in the camera and went through the pictures to get an idea when the turkeys were crossing through that flat. From the looks of it, around 3:30 - 4:30 PM was when they were coming through. On Friday though, they had come through at 12:30.

A little after 1 PM, I heard the turkeys coming down off the hill behind the blind. It sounded like there were quite a few of them by the amount of noise and the area it was spread out in. Just like the deer though, they came down so far and then stopped. It wasn't too long I heard them putting and they went off in the hollow off to the left of the blind. :? What the crap!!! I thought turkeys weren't supposed to pay any attention to the little pop-up blinds? Apparently these turkeys weren't your average stupid birds, or they knew it was almost Thanksgiving one or the other. :lol:

About 2:15 PM, I unzipped the window on the left side of the blind, got out my glass call, and did a series of loud kee-kee calls. Zipped the side of the blind back up and sat and waited, but I wouldn't have to wait long. In just a few minutes I heard the turkeys coming up the hill in front of me and off to the left. Got the Equinox up on the rest and was tucked back in the back of the blind, so that all the turkeys could see was just a black hole in the front of the blind.

Looked over beside the scope and could see 3 big gobblers making their way in, focussed on the blind. Looked 2 of them over in the scope and didn't really like their beards, so I moved over to the 3rd one. I had pictures of some that their beards looked to be 10-12" long and paintbrush thick. The last one I settled on looked pretty good so I looked at where he was. I had ranged the distance to a log that morning at 28 yards. He was standing just a little in front of it. Split the 20 yd crosshair and the 30 yd chevron in the scope, put it on him just a little to the right since he was quartering toward me, and squeezed it off. Saw the Luminock light up and then disappear.

At the shot, all hell broke loose! I leaned forward in the blind to look out and watch the turkey I had shot at to see where he went. There must have been 20 turkeys that were coming up that hill but hadn't gotten into my sight picture yet when I shot. :shock: The turkey went about 15 yds and dropped. Looked at my watch and it was 2:23 PM.

After I got up to the bird, his beard had a little "ground shrink". :lol: It wasn't quite as thick as I thought that it had been. Totaled though, the beard was 10 1/2" long, spurs were 1 1/4", and he was 20+ lbs (didn't weigh him). I hit the top part of the turkey's left breast going in, cut the heart almost in half, and the arrow exited just to the right of the tail in the back of the thigh.

I'm tickled to death with the thing! This is the first one I've gotten with the crossbow, but it won't be the last! I've still got 3 more fall turkey tags that I can fill. The "bad" thing though is that this is the only gobbler I can get. The others have to be hens, or have a beard less than 3" long.

Guess what I'm going to be doing during the Thanksgiving vacation? :wink: :lol: :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
gerald strine

Re: Scored! - The Equinox Strikes Again!

Post by gerald strine »

Great bird !
Congrats and well done.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

CONGRATS on your turkey!!! :D
Wish we had a fall season. :?
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the turkey!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

congrats on your turkey! just as fun as deer hunting for me! anything that comes into a call is exciting for me! enjoy your Turk and all that bacon!!!!!!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Great story, thanks for taking me along, lol. I get a bigger rush out of a turkey than popping a deer..........
"Eze 18:21"
leep53

Post by leep53 »

congrats, thanks for sharing the hunt ,next best thing to being there.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Great job, on the kill, :) and Great story, thanks for shareing. :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Great story and Congrats on a nice bird thanks for sharing.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Thanks folks! :D Gotta admit, I'm still pumped about getting the turkey! I've tried for years to get a turkey with both my vertical bow and then my crossbow after I switched over to that. For one reason or another, it just never worked out. All of the times in the past though, I was deer hunting and looking to take a turkey as an added bonus.

After I shot and watched the turkey fall, I couldn't help but do a fist pump. :lol: First time I've ever done that on getting a critter. :lol: Got home last night and walked in and proclaimed to the wife, "I AM DA' MAN!" :lol: :lol: She said, "What for, killing a turkey?" Talk about busting my bubble! :lol:

tman74

Post by tman74 »

Congrats and a great story to boot! Turkeys with the xbow is gosh darn addicting. After shooting my first xbow bird 6 yrs ago I haven't used the shotgun since.

Thanks for sharing. :)
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Congrats :!: :!: :!: good story and pics . you will need a big pot for that one :D
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer fine snurkey, i been wantin one to come by me here fer 4 yrs now. I ain't seen nary a one while huntin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the swhacker did a good job of putting him down quickly.
wabi
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

wabi wrote:Sounds like the swhacker did a good job of putting him down quickly.
I'm surprised he actually made it as far as he did. :shock: The heart was almost cut in half except for a small 1/4" piece that didn't get cut. I'm sure I hit the lungs too, but didn't look at them when I was taking the heart out. Pretty much everything on the inside was mush and had been sliced by the Swhackers. :wink: The entrance hole in the breast (thank goodness :D ) was just the 1" wide wing blades. The exit hole was the the 2.25" wide cut from where both of the main blades had deployed. I'm here to tell you, a 2.25" cut on a turkey is MASSIVE!! :lol: :lol:

Overkill? Yeah. But I'm all about the overkill and it's cooler than crap! :mrgreen: At least with the broadheads, the bloodshot areas are cleaning up really well and the blood is washing right off. :wink: