Lubricant on top of rail / arrow groove?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Re: Lubricant on top of rail / arrow groove?

Post by Normous »

automated11 wrote:
enormous wrote:Some food for thought to thinker about. Both our Vortex and Equinox have Teflon coated mainframes. This Surgical Grade Teflon by DuPont was applied by Donwell Company who are highly regarderd in the coating industry since 1957.

Could you post up a little more on this and what exact coating the put on for you? I may be interested in this.
Take a look here:

http://www.donwell.com/teflon.htm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Post by Normous »

I paid $100 and Fed Ex each way.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

The sides are covered in camo right now.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

I M O the rail only needs to be kept clean. the more residue on the rail only attracts dirt. just wipe down occasionally, and very little amount of silicone, once in awhile... I have to agree with what mr. norman said about the arrow retainer. it is very noisy! using that 3m tape sounds like an excellent idea. would like to experiment with that...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
taz3

Post by taz3 »

enormous wrote:If you are going to hunt with your M355 then I might suggest reconsidering any spray/lube that smells on your crossbow and most do, deer will turn inside out at any odd smell like that.

If your are interested in trying 3M™ Polyethylene Tape on your arrow retainer feel free to PM me your address and I will send you a sample to try. Don't bother trying to buy some because a 1" by 50' roll is $250. I have plenty. The slip coefficient is very high on the 3M product. Also, it works well in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Lastly, it has sound dampening qualities and can help dampen the sound of your arrow sliding underneith it and reduce the metalic sound of your retainer hitting the mainframe.
I have a roll of this teflon tape and have tried on the arrow retainer. I'll have to try it on the rail itself.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

taz3 wrote:I have a roll of this teflon tape and have tried on the arrow retainer. I'll have to try it on the rail itself.
Be sure to pass along what you find out with the rail...
Thanks
kevinr

Post by kevinr »

EBay has 4 cans of jig a loo cheap :D
taz3

Post by taz3 »

TheTinker wrote:
taz3 wrote:I have a roll of this teflon tape and have tried on the arrow retainer. I'll have to try it on the rail itself.
Be sure to pass along what you find out with the rail...
Thanks
Dang, I don't think I have enough to do the rail. :(

I may have to take up donations! :roll: :lol:

I'll let you know when I pick up another roll.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

enormous wrote:If you are going to hunt with your M355 then I might suggest reconsidering any spray/lube that smells on your crossbow and most do, deer will turn inside out at any odd smell like that.

If your are interested in trying 3M™ Polyethylene Tape on your arrow retainer feel free to PM me your address and I will send you a sample to try. Don't bother trying to buy some because a 1" by 50' roll is $250. I have plenty. The slip coefficient is very high on the 3M product. Also, it works well in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Lastly, it has sound dampening qualities and can help dampen the sound of your arrow sliding underneith it and reduce the metalic sound of your retainer hitting the mainframe.
That sounds good,how long have you been using it and how's it standing up
Normous

Post by Normous »

Snuff, 6 years on the Vortex and about 5 years on the Equinox. 100% no sign of wear after a few thousand shots.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Impressive,I may try that,I just been searching for it.
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

enormous wrote:If your are interested in trying 3M™ Polyethylene Tape on your arrow retainer...
The slip coefficient is very high on the 3M product. Also, it works well in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Lastly, it has sound dampening qualities and can help dampen the sound of your arrow sliding underneith it and reduce the metalic sound of your retainer hitting the mainframe.
Thanks Norman, I got it done today. Had to take the trigger block assy out to get to it and used some 600 grit to smooth the crackle paint finish and some 1000 grit to polish it. I applied the tape for only an inch, beginning at the middle of the round front and running back inside toward the rear. Trimmed it with a scalpel. Seems to stick well and covers all the bearing area when a arrow is loaded.

To anyone thinking of doing the same, and if mine has to be redone, going to cover the whole front round and run it back 3 inches up the inside of the spring finger. That application will not only give a better bonding area (don't know if that is necessary) but should also help to deaden the noise of the finger on release.
3M Poly tape is really a no-drag sort of stuff :wink:

Tink
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thanks for the update Joe. I might add that my arrow retainer sports a Sims Rubber Vibration strip (1.5") attached the the center of the arrow retainer. It takes that tuning fork like vibration out.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

enormous wrote:Thanks for the update Joe. I might add that my arrow retainer sports a Sims Rubber Vibration strip (1.5") attached the the center of the arrow retainer. It takes that tuning fork like vibration out.
"THANK YOU", Sir :wink: :)