Turkey Time Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

va3cgt

Turkey Time Ontario

Post by va3cgt »

I've had my turkey endorsement for the last 21 years but have never gone turkey hunting. I just bought a tag and expect to be out on opening day with my new Matrix.

I have a question regarding the hunter orange requirement. The regulations do not state if I am required to wear orange during spring turkey season. Obviously if I get a bird it will be placed in a orange bag to be safe even though I'm on private property.

Am I missing something in the Ontario hunting regulations?
VixChix

Re: Turkey Time Ontario

Post by VixChix »

Nope - you're not missing anything. You do NOT wear orange for turkey - they can see colours.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

No orange hunting, however I never go turkey hunting without orange vest and cap in my pack. It's busy out there in the ontario turkey woods. If I have to approach a trespasser or walk out on a property I'm sharing with other hunters etc. it takes 30 sec to throw on for safety.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86

Post by newbie »

evaughan wrote:No orange hunting, however I never go turkey hunting without orange vest and cap in my pack. It's busy out there in the ontario turkey woods. If I have to approach a trespasser or walk out on a property I'm sharing with other hunters etc. it takes 30 sec to throw on for safety.
X2
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Excellent. Thanks.
purl

Post by purl »

I believe in Ontario the only time you need wear orange for turkey is if another gun season is on at the same time. Perhaps if your in the northern part of the province and there was a fall turkey season and lets say a gun season for moose was on at the same time in that WMU, then you would need to wear orange for the turkeys. Link to Ontario Hunting Regs. below.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW ... 1275P.html
purl
The hunter formerly known as Brian
ShooterJohn

Post by ShooterJohn »

VixChix wrote:Nope - you're not missing anything. You do NOT wear orange for turkey - they can see colours.
X2 !!! also they say carry the bird out in a dark coloured bag or camo sack. never carry it over your shoulder or drag it. :) another hunter could shoot at it.
- Dog's are mans best friend !

" Carpe Diem"

" Amare parentes tuos "

OFAH , Ducks Unlimited, NRA , WWJD.
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

I wear orange to get to my spot then *poof* you don't see me :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

If you decide to wear orange make sure your orange is bright - not faded.

During turkey season hunters are looking for & shooting for red/white/blue... not brown as in deer season. Avoid anything that might be mistaken for red, white or blue.

Also if you're on public land consider that you might be disrupting someone else's hunt even more if you're passing through wearing orange rather than passing by wearing camo.

In the mornings I carry a small green LED flashlight - since it's before daylight.

Should I be so lucky as to leave the woods with a turkey then my vest has an orange flag I can flip over my back. I also have a small orange bag to cover the turkey's head.

Stay safe, my friends! Looking forward to seeing more turkey pics posted soon! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
tman74

Post by tman74 »

VixChix wrote: During turkey season hunters are looking for & shooting for red/white/blue... not brown as in deer season. Avoid anything that might be mistaken for red, white or blue.
In other words don't wear one of these. Lol :wink: :)

The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========