First crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

First crossbow

Post by Fred T »

Having been out of hunting(gun only) for a few decades I'm diving back in because of my 15yr old' daughters taking a huge interest.I'v e never tried bow hunting but looking forward to the challenge involved.I was all set to buy a Barnett Jackal but possible reliability issues steered me in the Excal Axiom or Ibex direction.Since it's my first CB I want something solid and simple to maintain which according to all reviews the above Excals seem to qualify.(And it's made in Canada eh).Learning to properly set up /shoot and arrow selection should be a fun experience for me and my daughter.Hopefully we will eventually bag a nice buck and/or some big tom's after we get it figured out.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
rayman

Re: First crossbow

Post by rayman »

Went with Axiom and all factory set up two years ago and have not regretted it for a second. Maybe have time to experiment one day. :)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Good for you and for your daughter! I love to hear/read stories of the up & coming hunting generation getting out into the woods - even better when it's shared with their parents.

If you can, try out a few different bows and find which one feels most natural to shoulder and shoot.

Where are you from? Perhaps we can suggest a person or store which can offer the opportunity to shoot different models?

Whichever bow you choose may you share many wonderful memories of hunting adventures together!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks,out of nowhere she took a real interest and last summer took the hunter safety course.I look forward to some quality daddy daughter time .I'm in the Peterborough Ontario area and we have two good dealers.I plan to go this week for a comparison of the two Excals to see which stock I prefer as I gather that is the only difference between the two?
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
AlinCT

Post by AlinCT »

Fred T- in addition to the stock being different, I have heard that the triggers are slightly different as well.
bowmaker

Post by bowmaker »

:) Good choices either one, but I decided to go with the Axiom kit a couple of months ago. After having shot shotguns and rifles for more than 50 years, the conventional stock just felt more natural to me. With the exception of the stock itself, all of my questions and research says that all other parts are the same. As for the trigger the only difference is the actual trigger lever itself. It is a little longer and curved to accommodate the thumb hole stock. All the internals are the same. I am still waiting for a gobbler to make an appearance so that I can have a go at it with the Excalibur.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the forum and congrats to the both of you. It is great news to hear that your daughter wants to take up hunting and with a crossbow also. Either one are both good choices.
Raymond
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Actually I went today and compared them,and even shot the Ibex.I kept going back and forth between them,both felt very comfortable but I opted for the Ibex which was only an extra $25.I had a slight preference for the thumbhole and thought she might as well.I also purchased a set of S5 string suppresors and pack of Muzzy BH's.She was thrilled when she seen me bringing it through the door.Now it's time to dial it in and get our turkey tags.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the new bow! and welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks all for the warm welcome.I may be picking your brains for some of the finer points on how to get the most out of our new purchase.Hopefully we will soon be able to post a pic of a nice big gobbler. :)
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
roly

Post by roly »

Congrats on your new bow

Great choice, you guys will love it.

Welcome to the forum.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Excal. I hope you and your daughter have many safe and successful hunts together. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads