Friend's first turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DirtyGun

Friend's first turkey

Post by DirtyGun »

It was mine and my wife's 10 year anniversary yesterday, but she still let me go hunting for the morning. :D I really love that woman.

Took a friend out who just completed his turkey course a while ago and got him on a bird. The birds were hot where we were on Friday morning and he got a real show for his first hunt, including having three deer show up behind us in the woods at 20 yards just before sunrise, gobblers sounding off everywhere and battles with hens. Not bad for a first turkey hunt.

All the birds pitched down and made their way to a corner of the field away from our set up and it took a little convincing to get them to come our way. Three gobblers and two hens were in the group and they made their way slowly toward us as the hens and I chatted back and forth. They held up a little bit and I switched from the pot slate to my voicebox for some soft clucks and yelps and that did it. Two of the gobblers almost ran over each other to get to us and my buddy dropped one of them at 25 yards.

Not a bad first bird at all.

23 lbs
8" beard
3/4" spurs

I'm due for tag soup next season...been too good a Spring so far. :lol: :D
VixChix

Re: Friend's first turkey

Post by VixChix »

BEAUTY first bird! CONGRATS on the teamwork and connecting! So exciting to see the first-timers connect.

Great photo. I know I've said it before, but I love the way the low morning light brings out the iridescence of the turkey feathers - just gorgeous!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Raymond

Re: Friend's first turkey

Post by Raymond »

Wow, what a beautiful bird, the colors are just so magnificent. I have to agree with VixChix, that photo is great. I must say that I have never been turkey hunting or have never seen a wild turkey, only in photographs before but this one photograph of this turkey has something special to it. I do not know if it is the way the light is shining on the bird or what, but it is a gorgeous looking bird. The colors are magnificent, the photo just grab my eyes immediately. Thanks for the story, it was exciting also. I must get there one of these years and try and harvest one of those Thunder Chickens.
Thanks,
Raymond