All over at 30 yards!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheTinker

Re: All over at 30 yards!

Post by TheTinker »

Boo wrote:
TheTinker wrote:Checking the mirror is a 'hard seed to swallow' but it does, unfortunately, exist :mrgreen:
That's usually after my wife and I have a heart to heart. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: .... :lol:
massbow

Post by massbow »

I haven't ruled out user error. But I can hit a dime at20 freehand over and over. Then can barely keep it on a pie plate from a stedy rest at 30??? Just doesn't make sense to me. So confused
Team 355
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en yer rest is steady & the arrows are good then it jus might be a bad scope
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Shoot an arrow, observe the impact then shoot it again but this time use a different vane as a "cock vane" down in the rail. Observe the impact again. Now shoot it again but use the one vane you have not used as a cock vane and observe the impact. The arrow will probably impact differently with each shot because the spine is moving around. The arrow that impacts near the bullseye will be the cock vane you want down in the rail when you shoot that arrow. Had a similar problem until I realized the spine of the arrow in relation to the cock vane made a big difference when I started shooting farther than 20 yards. You also changed your front of center by replacing the "stock" 150 grain field points with 125 grain points. I do not believe the stock diablo arrows have a brass insert. Dropping the point weight and shooting distance with those arrows is not a good idea.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Look up "the tinker"- [ mar. 27] He posted about the arrow going to sleep. very interesting how a projectile will spin a smaller and smaller circle as it travels down range. I`d try longer and longer shots, as trial. You need to get a base to work from. [ each chevron]
here`stoalittlebloodonthefloor
mark 10 :13
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i would suggest to shoot each arrow 5 times in a row. make sure you mark one vein and keep shooting with the vein in the same position.
this will let you know if your arrows are shooting true. your arrow should always hit the same spot ar 20-30 yards.
i have found that every arrow shoots differently. some go higher, some go left a little etc.

could be a scope issue. but you need to check those arrows first.
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

If you are consistently right on at 20, then move back to 30 and they're off by 3 or 4 inches....that leads me to believe that its your arrows. Cause if you can go back to 20 and they're still right on the money....has to be arrows, cuz your scope is still right on. If it was a bad scope you couldn't move back up to 20 and still be right on. Have a had a few bad scopes over the years and they will never hold one yardage completely correct. Only other thing it could be is that your scope isn't set up quite right either. You could be pretty close at 20 and that smidge your off will multipy quite a bit by 30 and way off by 40. Try what the other fellas are saying, check your nuts and bolts on everything, mark your arrows and check them in a systematic way. Like everyone else said...walk away when you get frustrated. Best of luck!

Larry
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

massbow wrote:Ive got this thing in a rifle shooting rest like a lead sled. Maybe more than 5inch groups at 30 yards is asking too much?
HMMM... Did not see that post -notice we posted at the same time -what are the chances? :lol:

Then it would seem you have a mechanical glitch for sure. My 355 will shoot into a 1 inch bull at 50 yards rather consistently. "Shooting under 5 inches at 30 yards" would certainly NOT be asking too much!
If you have checked everything (mechanical) suggested, and if it were me, I would substitute the scope to see if it has gone 'Tango Uniform' [tits-up for the uninformed :wink: ]
Good luck at finding your 'gremlin', Tink
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Blood on the floor wrote:Look up "the tinker"- [ mar. 27] He posted about the arrow going to sleep. very interesting how a projectile will spin a smaller and smaller circle as it travels down range. I`d try longer and longer shots, as trial. You need to get a base to work from. [ each chevron]
here`stoalittlebloodonthefloor
:idea: Realize that posting was subjective interpretation of phenomena relating to long range, heavy bullets and comparing it to reasonably apply to an arrow as well. It all makes sense to me, but maybe I'm impressionable :mrgreen:
massbow

Post by massbow »

!! UPDATE !! So when I got home today I unstrung my bow and found nothing loose. Then I leveled my scope and found that it was off more than I would have thought. Pick out a bolt marked a cock feather(something I didn't do before) and shot it six times. At 30 yards I put that sucker in the same hole every time ! I want to thank every one for all the help given I was at a loss yesterday. looking forward to much interaction in the future. Thanks again John
Team 355

Post by newbie »

Glad you worked it out! Now enjoy the bow!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yep. a crossbow is only as accurate as the arrows it shoots.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

This forum is like having a staff of professional consultants from all over the world working together to help those in need. Absolutely Wonderful.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Good for you! Now shoot the heck out of it!
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

massbow wrote:!! UPDATE !! So when I got home today I unstrung my bow and found nothing loose. Then I leveled my scope and found that it was off more than I would have thought. Pick out a bolt marked a cock feather(something I didn't do before) and shot it six times. At 30 yards I put that sucker in the same hole every time ! I want to thank every one for all the help given I was at a loss yesterday. looking forward to much interaction in the future. Thanks again John
Strange how we tend to zero in on the 'worst' scenario and look over the 'tiny' possibilities (which are more often the problem). Now 'shooting into one hole' sounds like a 355 :mrgreen: