Arrow Tuning Tips I just learned ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JT of PA

Arrow Tuning Tips I just learned ...

Post by JT of PA »

The below, arrow tuning tips are from the 2013, 3Rivers Archery Longbow & Recurve Experts catalog.

Updated FYI ... (It was kindly pointed out that the below information is from a finger-shooting catalog. I guess the principles don't apply to crossbow shooting then. Oh well, please read for entertainment purposes only. :lol: )

-----

In Regards to a Right Handed Shooter (reverse for left)

- An arrow impacting point left of target and/or arrow nock right is TOO STIFF arrow spine.

- An arrow impacting point right of target and/or arrow nock left is TOO WEAK arrow spine.

-- To correct an arrow that is too stiff, add additional point weight.

-- To correct an arrow that is too weak, add additional nock weight, or cut the shaft shorter.

-----

The above type of information is the type I enjoy learning.

Anyone have similar crossbow, arrow, string knowledge they can share?

Too many times things we think "everyone knows" aren't as well known as we thought.

All the best,
John

Last edited by JT of PA on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
chicotrout

Re: Arrow Tuning Tips I just learned ...

Post by chicotrout »

Good to know, thanks for sharing.
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
Boo

Post by Boo »

I believe the info you are giving is for finger shooters.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:I believe the info you are giving is for finger shooters.
That is my take on it too. I've been shooting my old recurve this summer and I keep hitting left. I keep trying to use the information above, but the truth is it's mostly my release :mrgreen: Too much guitar playing I guess, pluck, pluck, pluck. I fully expect to see a great shooter buck this fall. He will see me from afar, notice I have my recurve and not my crossbow - and then calmly walk out broadside at 30 yds and feed, and maybe even lay down. Probably roll on his back for awhile-take a nice nap and then stand up look at me and wink, and then just walk away. :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

JT seriously - here's some stuff I have gleaned regarding crossbow arrows.

I like heavier stiffer arrows vs lighter ones.

A higher FOC helps accuracy (above 15%, with 20% as a good target)

Finding the spine and the fletc the arrow with a cock vane opposite the stiff side

2" vanes or feathers fletched with a lot of helical stabilizes everything I shoot

Square both ends of the arrow, then square the nock and insert after they are installed

For 3 blade broadheads, I align the fletchings with the blades. I don't worry about this with 2 blade or 4 blade and don't seem to have issues. I believe the turbulence created by the BHs is different enough not to effect the way the fletches catch the air - but I can't prove that.

I don't get too hung up on FPs and BHs having the same POI (although I am usually pretty close) as long as the BHs hit just a little low. I figure that is just a bit more drag by the BH. But if it's off in windage - there are issues.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><