Slicktrick on 16 inch arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Slicktrick on 16 inch arrows

Post by Masboy »

Shot my vixen an vortex this morning with 16 inch BEA ,110 brass inserts,blazers with a weight of 398gr. with 100gr. slicktrick magnums . all shooting 30 yds in a light wind sitting on my rear with arm on my knee like when I hunt. I set the orange dot on top the bottom post of my duplex for 30 an my fieldpoints are hitting the same as the slicktricks cutting the bottom of the dot.in my vortex these same arrows are shooting the same . I have a block target in a boltrod press an 5/8 quarry belt behind an both were shooting thru the block an poking out the back of the belt.first shot with the vortex blew thru both . I shoot the same arrows an broadheads in both my bows now an deadly an ready for deer with no more broadhead testing needed. In the vortex you have to aline a blade with the cock vane but works an shoots the 16 inch great. short an sweet :D :D :D

mr meat

Re: Slicktrick on 16 inch arrows

Post by mr meat »

nice shooting!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Looks good to me, keep on shootin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Just curious as to why so short and light? I'm heading the opposite way. Gold Tip Laser IV's with a 60 gr brass insert and a 150gr Slick Trick. Puts me over 500gr total. Haven't measured any finished arrows yet or checked the FOC. Roughly speaking though it'll be in the 20% range.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I just like the short arrows because they don,t stick out over the end of my bow an catch on anything .I use a rope stirup that,s not sticking out past limbs on the front an just makes a more compact rig. my slick tricks shoot to fieldpoint poi on the16 inch arrows an my slick tricks were always a little low compared to the fieldpoints on my 20 inch arrows. an makes a nice short quiver of arrows. a 400gr arrow seems to be a good all around arrow weight for me. shoots great an good speed an good penetration.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

That all makes good sense to me. Got my G5 arrow squaring tool last night and also got my 150gr Xbow Tricks. Squared one of the gold tips and threw on the BH. In the bull at 40yds - literally - the nock was flush with the front of the Rhinehart. Lovin' the penetration I'm getting on these guys. The other thing I like is that they have a slight downward trajectory through the target because of the weight. Since I hunt from the ground, it gives me a much better chance of finding the arrow. My goal is to blow through anything - even on "less than perfect" hits, therefore the 500+gr arrow
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

nchunterkw wrote: My goal is to blow through anything - even on "less than perfect" hits, therefore the 500+gr arrow
I like the way you think!!! :wink: :)

My hunting bow is 225 lb. rating.
I too shoot an arrow around 500 grains.
I added weight to the front end so I could use my regular broadheads without going out and buying new crossbow heads.
I don't care if the broadheads have same point of impact as field points as long as they all have good flight and a consistent point of impact.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

:) Ppl. think i am crazy when i use my 628gr 2216 wid me BH's. They never found a tick toter they didn't love! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Ont_Excal
Right back at you! I do the same stuff. I have so many "assorted" BHs from over the years, I'm always trying to find ways to shoot them up. I just got an arrow spinner and that helped. Lots of the stuff I had laying around was because it didn't seem to shoot that well. Turns out a good bit of it was bent so I finally trashed it.

The new bigger Xbow Tricks are really nice. I plan on picking up some more 150's and even a few 175's
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Nicely done Masboy. Short and sweet. :D
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

nchunterkw
An arrow spinner is a must have as it will show issues with the arrow or the broadhead.
An arrow squaring tool also eliminates a lot of issues.
A heavier arrow has a more stable fight path and absorbs more energy from the string and makes the bow a little quieter as well.
The terrain I hunt gives short range shooting only under 40 yards.
I zero my crosshair at 30 yards, making 20 or 40 yard shooting a piece of cake.

Vixen, I don't care about fps. very much either but my hunting bow is a heavy pounder. I could hunt a lighter weight bow but I still use the heavy. My reason is simple. If I get a coyote in my crosshairs, I want to filet that sucker from end to end.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Masboy wrote:Shot my vixen an vortex this morning with 16 inch BEA ,110 brass inserts,blazers with a weight of 398gr. with 100gr. slicktrick magnums . all shooting 30 yds in a light wind sitting on my rear with arm on my knee like when I hunt. I set the orange dot on top the bottom post of my duplex for 30 an my fieldpoints are hitting the same as the slicktricks cutting the bottom of the dot.in my vortex these same arrows are shooting the same . I have a block target in a boltrod press an 5/8 quarry belt behind an both were shooting thru the block an poking out the back of the belt.first shot with the vortex blew thru both . I shoot the same arrows an broadheads in both my bows now an deadly an ready for deer with no more broadhead testing needed. In the vortex you have to aline a blade with the cock vane but works an shoots the 16 inch great. short an sweet :D :D :D

Sounds like you found what works for you...........congrats on the fine shooting.
I won't be shortening my arrows as I like my setup.
Nice job though.