New Matrix 380 owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boonechaser

New Matrix 380 owner

Post by Boonechaser »

Hi all

Just picked up a new Matrix 380 from Wyvern Creations at a great price compared to everywhere else. I am also a TenPoint Carbon Fusion owner and not sure if I will like it or not. Was looking for something different. I was really tossing around to buy the new TenPoint vapor but decided, I wanted a different type of bow.

I know the bot checker didn't like my answer to "who makes the best crossbow" I put TenPoint and it said my answer was incorrect.. :lol:

I do not know anyone that uses a excal and have never shot one and blindly ordered over the net so, I am keeping my fingers crossed that all my research and forum reading, has not steered me wrong. I will receive it on Thursday and I will get my first impression of the bow but will not be able to go shoot it for a couple weeks. Headed to Hawaii on Friday morning for a two week vacation.

So any current owners have any pros and cons for the Matrix. Only complaint that I am seeing everywhere is the tact zone scope. Seems a lot of hunters are changing them out for a better scope. I am truly hoping this is not the case with a $1000 bow, I expect the best. But then again maybe that comes with a $2000 bow. We will see.... :D
Riflemanz

Re: New Matrix 380 owner

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats and welcome to team matrix!
My 355 is great! It likes the Executioner arrows with
Rage crossbow tips 100gr 2 blade with collars.
I shot her today with the rage practice tip and it's a bullseye!That's my killing head for the matrix!You'll have to experiment and see what your 380 likes.
Scope if fine on my 355.Buy a string changer from wyvern!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pass the popcorn...
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ranger

Post by ranger »

I Like my 380 Blackout, the trigger was hard but they say to shoot it a lot and the trigger smooths out(I put in a different trigger buts that's me) and the scope is hit and miss, I like mine but some folks have issues, It wasn't all that bad to cock but I had surgery so I bought the C2 cranker aid, out of the box with the diablo arrows and 150gn field points mine shot a constant 350 but since I have readjusted my string so I'm sure its a little faster now. I am going to put a new Boo string on and see how that works and shoot a arrow or 6 thru the chrono and see where I'm at. Everyone has their favorite BroadHead so I'll leave that alone.
Shoot it and enjoy its a awesome bow.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Thanks for the replies Riflemanz and Ranger. I am really excited to get it and shoot some. I did buy the string changer when I bought the bow and am still up in the air about arrows. I think I read that Easton makes the diablo arrows and I have had good luck with their arrows and what I have used mainly, over my 31 yrs. of bow hunting. So, I did not buy any extra until I have a chance to get these and shoot them.

I am still up in the air about which broadheads to use. I have always used Muzzy's with excellant results and the boltcutters appear to be either rebranded Muzzy'sor some good knock offs. I have been reading a lot about ramcat's and am thinking about trying some.

From the other guys cop out about popcorn, and some of the other post I have read of a bunch of posters wanting to jump a guy for stating his opinion, if it differs from theirs. And I am guessing there is a lot like that on hear that have a problem with someone using or mentioning or praising another brand other than what they have.
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

ranger wrote:I Like my 380 Blackout, the trigger was hard but they say to shoot it a lot and the trigger smooths out(I put in a different trigger buts that's me) and the scope is hit and miss, I like mine but some folks have issues, It wasn't all that bad to cock but I had surgery so I bought the C2 cranker aid, out of the box with the diablo arrows and 150gn field points mine shot a constant 350 but since I have readjusted my string so I'm sure its a little faster now. I am going to put a new Boo string on and see how that works and shoot a arrow or 6 thru the chrono and see where I'm at. Everyone has their favorite BroadHead so I'll leave that alone.
Shoot it and enjoy its a awesome bow.

I also contemplated buying the cranker as I have a torn rotator cuff but, am still a big guy and from the video's I have watched and post I have read... Most say it cocks like a 175 lb. bow.. So, I decided not to until I try it.

I know you said you would leave it alone but what do you think is a good broadhead for these bows and their speed. Is there a difference in how heads fly in a recurve vs a compound xbow? Do mechanical's stand up to the energy and speed?
ranger

Post by ranger »

I am going with the Boltcutters with my 380 being they look like the Montec in a way witch I have used in my other bows, Ramcats seem to be a up and coming BH and the Spitfire Maxx and Ulmer Edge seem to be liked by a lot of folks because they hold up in the faster bows.
The Black Eagle Executioner arrows seem to be popular, think I going to try them nxt year with 125gn Broad Heads but for now its the diablos with 150gn boltcutters.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
ranger

Post by ranger »

Boonechaser wrote:Thanks for the replies Riflemanz and Ranger. I am really excited to get it and shoot some. I did buy the string changer when I bought the bow and am still up in the air about arrows. I think I read that Easton makes the diablo arrows and I have had good luck with their arrows and what I have used mainly, over my 31 yrs. of bow hunting. So, I did not buy any extra until I have a chance to get these and shoot them.

I am still up in the air about which broadheads to use. I have always used Muzzy's with excellant results and the boltcutters appear to be either rebranded Muzzy'sor some good knock offs. I have been reading a lot about ramcat's and am thinking about trying some.

From the other guys cop out about popcorn, and some of the other post I have read of a bunch of posters wanting to jump a guy for stating his opinion, if it differs from theirs. And I am guessing there is a lot like that on hear that have a problem with someone using or mentioning or praising another brand other than what they have.
Its all in light, its very seldom that posts like that show up here where someone talks bad about a Excal, I call them unhappy people and there has been a lot of talk about the 380, so take it as a grain of salt, no big thing.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i like my matrix a lot as far as the scope goes i dont like the chervons . i use xb30 very clear glass for me. this year set for ramcats these shoot great for me shot a bear in with them in june went through like butter all blades were intact when i pulled it out of the dirt .i do use black eagles very good arrow. just hsd some major neck surgery so i have to use a c2crank. i just shoot a little less
Big John

Post by Big John »

Here you are good buddy!!! :)
I knew I'd find you again. 8)
Is this the thread where we discuss how good Ten Point is and how Bad Excalibur is?
Your starting to be my new favorite person on here! What other name do you go by on here now and in the past? :lol:
And do you know who I am on Archery talk? :lol:

No really, I want to be Friends now. Lets discuss Excalibur Bows and good things like that. :wink:

Please don't leave! We need you here!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
ranger

Post by ranger »

bob watkins wrote:i like my matrix a lot as far as the scope goes i dont like the chervons . i use xb30 very clear glass for me. this year set for ramcats these shoot great for me shot a bear in with them in june went through like butter all blades were intact when i pulled it out of the dirt .i do use black eagles very good arrow. just hsd some major neck surgery so i have to use a c2crank. i just shoot a little less
I have my C4-C7 fused and plated and now they put a morphine pump in me for my C1-C3 being they are going out and suffer from chronic pain and they(Mayo) will not due anymore surgery on me due to the danger of it, so I have a idea what your going through.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Received my new bow, yesterday. Just had a chance this morning before my trip to put the bow together and take a couple shots (just into the ground) to see how hard it is to cock and how loud it is.
First impression was really good, looks and feels to be made really well! The bow feels nice in my hands and is very light compared to my TenPoint but it also has the accudraw attached and them are heavy in themselves.
The bow was really easier to cock than I had expected at a 260lb. draw. I have my C4-7 fused as well and really the reason of hunting with a crossbow to begin with. I can manage the weight with minimal effort and do not think I will need a crank cocking aid, at this time.
It is a little louder than expected but in comparison to the TenPoint it is not much louder and with 85lb more pull. so, that is impressive.
Really like the cheek piece and thumbhole stock along with the forward grip. Compared to my TenPoint, the forward grip looks funny but, serves its purpose to keep your fingers low enough to not come in contact with the flight rail.
Trigger has a little more creep and grit to it than I like but, have read that it takes some shooting to break in.
Scope was clear and I have no issues with mine. Been reading everywhere that people are having problems with them and was a little worried that I would have the same problem but, looks good to me. Will try some low light shooting when I return and maybe I will feel different.
Thinking maybe the problem with others is the whole made in China, thing. I do business with a Chinese company and they seem to be okay with a 5-8 percent return rate. They consider that good quality control. Can't say for sure but I must have received a decent one, first time.

My only suggestion at this time would be to have a safety that engages as the bow is cocked. Not really a big deal but for me, I am used to the TenPoint and am afraid that is something that I will constantly have to be aware of.
Maybe have more critiques as I use the bow but for now am pleased with my purchase.
mrvmax101

Post by mrvmax101 »

I am also a new owner. I like the bow, did my first shoot, I think the scope is good but it is not the best.
That being said I am going to change mine out to the twilight DLX. Better low light and when I purchased my bow I looked at the DLX and found it to be sharper and easier to get my eye right on the target fast.

My 2 cents for what its worth.