Plastic Nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WhoToo

Re: Plastic Nocks

Post by WhoToo »

Any guidelines as to when a nick or ding rounds the edge enough to create a potentially hazardous situation with plastic nocks? I'm new to this game and have only shot stock FireBolts. I have a few Lumenoks for hunting and would like to know what to watch for. Thanks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

WhoToo wrote:Any guidelines as to when a nick or ding rounds the edge enough to create a potentially hazardous situation with plastic nocks? I'm new to this game and have only shot stock FireBolts. I have a few Lumenoks for hunting and would like to know what to watch for. Thanks.
By pure ignorance and laziness I don't do anything to mine even if they are beat up and nothing has happened. Some of mine are so bad that they look like Omni nocks!
You are going to have to use your common sense. If the rear nock looks like a piece is going to come off then replace it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jh45gun1

Post by jh45gun1 »

I was using a Boo string on mine I sure cannot fault the string or the bow I never had any issues shooting with aluminum inserts either regular flat nocks or just a front end insert on both ends. Only had problems with the flat plastic. They looked fine after I shot them on the range. No I did not shoot them a lot seen they were right on so I only shot a couple of times. The arrow I missed the buck with that was a partial dry fire and it only went 15 yards and dropped was not retrievable to look at there was tall grass between myself and the buck. I looked after ward and never found it. So no way to see what the arrow looked like. It would have been the third time I had shot the bow with that flat plastic nock. I shot an other one after I missed the buck and that was a partial dry fire also.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but, I've had no more issues after throwing away the plastic nocks.

I liked the plastic nocks for a number of reasons.

I even talked to the manufacturer about making the ends with a grid pattern or something . . .no luck with that.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

sumner4991 wrote:I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but, I've had no more issues after throwing away the plastic nocks.

I liked the plastic nocks for a number of reasons.

I even talked to the manufacturer about making the ends with a grid pattern or something . . .no luck with that.

Have seen the ads for the Omni-nock. Might be a solution. It just seems too simple if you get NO dry fires with aluminum and even ONE with plastic which one to use.imho
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Those of you who have had problems with plastic, what string were u using ??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bullzeye wrote:Those of you who have had problems with plastic, what string were u using ??
I noticed the issue when testing a string that was thinner than my normal string . . .however, it still happened with my normal string. I would think that there is less and less of a chance of a partial dry-fire as you thicken the string.

I also think the issue is more likely to happen if your rail or your arrows are not completely clean(friction on the rail). I was using duct tape as target dots and some of the adhesive would end up on my arrow.

However, the issue didn't completely disappear until after I disposed of the plastic nocks. I tried to blame it on the adhesive and the thin string and the seating of the nock . . .but, in the end I blamed it on the plastic nock.

It really doesn't make a lot of sense . . .unless the plastic wears after repeated shooting and the edges get worn down . . .at the time I was shooting a ton of shots because I was testing strings.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote: It really doesn't make a lot of sense
Yep, it does not make any sense. I'm not an engineer but you would think that the "give" (especially at the edges) that plastic has would create a momentary channel for the string to grip onto.

Scott and Paul, did you guys recover your arras? What did the fletchings look like?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I did recover the arrows . . .no issue with that, they fell about 2 feet short of the bag at 25 yards, just had to move a few leaves.

There was some slight vane damage(not ripped off) . . .I figured the string was going under the arrow after it passed the retainer, thus pushing the back end up and forcing it to land short.

Omni-nock . . .first time I had seen these . . .looks a lot like what I told the guys to make at Easton. :lol: But, we shouldn't really need grooves . . .just something other than smooth. Something for the serving material to hold onto.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote:I did recover the arrows . . .no issue with that, they fell about 2 feet short of the bag at 25 yards, just had to move a few leaves.

There was some slight vane damage(not ripped off) . . .I figured the string was going under the arrow after it passed the retainer, thus pushing the back end up and forcing it to land short.

Omni-nock . . .first time I had seen these . . .looks a lot like what I told the guys to make at Easton. :lol: But, we shouldn't really need grooves . . .just something other than smooth. Something for the serving material to hold onto.
In my experience under causes some if not all of the cock vane to be ripped. I wonder if your bow has low deck pressure allowing the string to bounce after being released?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boo . . .my string is riding the rail pretty hard . . .I have even considered lifting it a tad, but, since my servings seem to be wearing evenly, I decided to leave it alone.

Like I said . . .I've tried to blame the partial on just about everything.

I do believe a lot of it was due to the thin string and I got more dry-fires when testing the thinnest of strings. No doubt, that is a big factor.

The thickness of your arrow can make a difference too. Too thick of an arrow and the string can slide under. My arrows look good when sitting against the serving. I took a broken arrow and turned it around so I could see it good.

Another possibility would be the rail groove being off . . .but, that would be near impossible.

Another possiblity is the arrow retainer arm being too loose . . .that can be a two issue thing. If the retainer arm is too loose, then your arrow isn't held into position and can slide forward before the shot. Or the arrow can rise upon launch. Either way, it's a partial dry-fire.

Anyway, it kept happening until I took the plastic nocks off. I haven't been shooting as much lately, so, it could happen anyday I suppose. :)

Of course, I know you are aware of all this stuff . . .I just wanted to list it for anyone reading that did not.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Using a serving that's not thick enough can also be a partial dryfire issue.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

that is all i use is plastic nocks, can't say i have ever had a problem other then when u nick them while target shooting, in that case i just replace the offence good to go.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I had trouble with plastic nocks an maxi hunters kv in my sons equinox with a thin fast flight string an solved it by thicker string an serving or a double serving on a thin string an he has had no more problems yet!
Last edited by Masboy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ranger

Post by ranger »

I use both plastic and alum and have never had a issue, lucky me :) .
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.