Old Carve tip Bows what broadheads ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Adrian J Hare

Old Carve tip Bows what broadheads ?

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Well I see what I never wanted to see this past weekend. I own one of the old 165lb carved tip bows and it shoots like nothing else. The only problem I see is that this bow does not have the energy to force the blades open and drive the arrow in as a deep or pass through shot in animals. I had a real good bear that came into a bait and gave me a bit better then a 1/4ering away shot with the front leg forward at 18 yards. The aim point was perfect and I hit him 3/4 the way up and about 1/2 way back to drive the arrow up into the chest and into the lung area. WRONG !

The firebolt hit perfect with a NAP Spitfire and the thud and the arrow stopped short like there was no energy to force the arrow where it needed to go.

Needless to say I am not impressed at all and have done more bow hunting then most and this is the first time I have seen this in a bow. I've made a wrong choice in heads and just wondered with,

My question is what kind of broadheads do you use with these bows ?
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
vixenmaster

Re: Old Carve tip Bows what broadheads ?

Post by vixenmaster »

Nutten wrong wid yer model nor wid yer BH. Get yer arrow weight up 475-550gr & watch go threw yer yogi. I have shot a few wild hogs wid Spitfire & they get pass-throughs wid good weighted arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

vixenmaster wrote:Nutten wrong wid yer model nor wid yer BH. Get yer arrow weight up 475-550gr & watch go threw yer yogi. I have shot a few wild hogs wid Spitfire & they get pass-throughs wid good weighted arrow
You're so right on that one Mike. I use to shoot the old heavy fiberglass arrows with a Bear Bruin light 90 grain fixed 3 blade 1" cut head with my old carved limb-tip Exocet took I don't just know how many deer with that bow. It was my 1-st Excalibur crossbow I got from Mr. Danny Miller back in the 90's if I remember right. You got a very fine good bow....
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Mike is the "man" on the Vixens and carved tips. You might also think about a cut on contact broadhead. there are several really good ones. just a thought.
My carved tip Exocet(165 lbs) and a Spitfire shot through a hog.?
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Thanks guys,

I got these arrows right from the plant so what do you all recommend ? for arrows.

As it is I am going back to the compounds for now ...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Adrian J Hare wrote:Thanks guys,

I got these arrows right from the plant so what do you all recommend ? for arrows.

As it is I am going back to the compounds for now ...
Compounds! Do they give better penetration wid light arrows ? Did you recover yer Bear ? I would try on some heavy weight carbon or slug some 2216 alum like mine
Half Bubble Off BD360

Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Compounds , he is talking about is his vertical .
Adrian likes to play a lot with different weapons .
Even sub-gauges for turkeys . :shock: :)
Adrian you may have had the unfortunate luck of hitting the rib dead on . Out of my Wolverine I have used 2216`s with a smaller fixed blade .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Doe Master wrote:Compounds , he is talking about is his vertical .
Adrian you may have had the unfortunate luck of hitting the rib dead on . Out of my Wolverine I have used 2216`s with a smaller fixed blade .
You mean you use more than a 20 ga. for turkeys???? :lol: :lol:
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Doe Master wrote:Compounds , he is talking about is his vertical .
You mean you use more than a 20 ga. for turkeys???? :lol: :lol:
By Compounds I mean the Mathews or Limbsaver. I'm using fixed broadheads with them and they don't have a penetration problem as Last fall I took the same shot with the Limbsaver and a pass through was no problem.

Now I'm not 100% updated on these Crossbows because I have shot a compound for years but as said, though I would change this year.

Now stop making fun of my 20 gauge it penetrates quite well :mrgreen:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

20ga is fine so is the 28 & 410. I knowed you were usin vertical compounds. Yer usin coc BH wid them. Can use same wid 165. The 150lb & 165 lb wid carved tip limbs need the arrow weight. There ain't nutten that walks North America that i wouldn't hunt wid either one of them & 550 gr arrows on up to my 650's
Half Bubble Off BD360

Tom

Post by Tom »

Doe Master wrote:.........
Adrian it is not very often that I am able to give some advice to you as your very knowledgeable in hunting. I have used your knowledge many times in the past and I am thankful for that.

I think that Doe Master hit it right on with his answer. Remember that with that angle ( a little more then quartering away) your arrow has a longer passage to get through a rib or bone (or even the animal, longer distance). Your bows weight and even with a 100gr spitfire should be more then enough to get you an exit hole if not a pass through with a standard 2216 or 2117 arrow that came with the bows back when yours was produced.

I have talked with someone that shot a 2216 and 100gr spitfire, 150 lb bow, chest on into a bull moose at 27 yards and almost got a complete entry of the arrow, stopped at the feathers. That just shows what the KE actually is. Up until that point, I would never had taken a chest on shot at a moose. Your setup should have achieved better and I bet the next time it would.

Good luck Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
doublelung911

Post by doublelung911 »

Adrian, wind on a 150 grain Boltcutter and call it a day bud!

DL
They're there if you can get em'
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Thanks Guys ! Sometimes I need help and it looks as all you fello Excalers have did just that. A point was brought up that I never even thought of I was using 100 gn broadheads because I'm just used to them. I'll see if I can find some 125's and resite....
Ontario Hunting Lodge