Newbie needing help with Vixen!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ponyboy1995

Newbie needing help with Vixen!

Post by ponyboy1995 »

I am new to the world of crossbows. I just bought my first crossbow and wanted it to be an Excalibur since I have heard such great reviews from owners. I purchased a used Vixen from a guy who dad owned it before passing away. The guy couldn't tell me anything about it other then his dad used it maybe 5 times and bought it new. it looks in great shape. I am a strange person because I like to know as much as possible about the toys I own. I normally research things like crazy but couldn't find much older model vixens. I need your help! Could you all give me as much info on this bow as possible? I will attach a pic. it is all black with the make & model across the limbs. The limb tips appear to be carved and the make is on embossed on the right side of the stock. Any stats and information like age would be appreciated. I know the vixen is a good model but is this specific year model a good dependable model? anything I should be concerned with? Are the carved ends a problem? I noticed they went away from the carved ends.
thanks for your time!
chrisbp

Re: Newbie needing help with Vixen!

Post by chrisbp »

I know a crossbow site which reviewed a few Excalibur crossbow there. Not sure the older version of your Vixen.

Just paste a link here → http://www.bestcrossbowsreviews.org/, which may help you figure that out.
Excalibur is the best recurve crossbow I ever tested.
Thanks for mentioning my blog on Excalibur's Facebook Page the other day. And hope I could add some value here to the community. :)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer model Vixen is the early version 95/96, i have one jus like it. Has cast Riser, nutten wrong wid carved tip limbs. Jus has to use the older dacron strings on it. Later on they went to the mag tips so they could use the more modern string material fer faster speed. All Vixen's are dependable, they don't make a better model, faster yes, better no.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to another Vixen owner!
vixenmaster wrote:...they don't make a better model, faster yes, better no.
I love that! So true!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ponyboy1995

Post by ponyboy1995 »

thanks for the answers. makes me feel better knowing I bought a good first crossbow. any other info you have would be great. what type/size arrows should I used? weight on tips & broad heads? where do I find strings for this? any stats like speed/ kinetic energy? what type of care or anything I should do before shooting? are the limbs wood? they almost look wood to me. where can I find parts like a quiver?
for some reason my pic did not come through on the post. k apologize for that.
thanks again
Joe
Tom

Post by Tom »

There are many members on here that love the all black Vixen. They are getting fewer to find now that they are getting older, but older is not a bad thing with an Excalibur.

IF your bow is looked after, it will last you a life time. The arrows which came with the bow when new were 2117 alum. which is now replaced with 2216 (20") which was the same weight. Stock Excalibur graphite arrows (20") will also work for you. Any quality head will work but many keep in the 100gr size for the lighter poundage bows.

Remember that with the carved tip limbs, you must use Dacron strings as the others will eat or chew up the tips on your limbs. Your local Excalibur dealer should be able to get Dacron strings or there are a few members on here that make custom strings.

The limbs are not wood, they are a fiberglass/composite (not sure exactly what the composition is). Again for the quiver, any Excalibur dealer will be able to help you out.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Joe - Where are you located?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ponyboy1995

Post by ponyboy1995 »

VixChix wrote:Joe - Where are you located?
I am located in Lexington, SC.

Thank you to everyone who posted a response. I appreciate the info. looking forward to shooting it. I am very excited to be an Excalibur owner.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

ponyboy1995 wrote:

Thank you to everyone who posted a response. I appreciate the info. looking forward to shooting it. I am very excited to be an Excalibur owner.
Cool. I lived in Lexington a while back. Over in an area known as Red Bank.

Season's been open for a while there hasn't it? Seems like I remember my neighbor taking a buck in velvet once because the SC season starts so early.

Welcome to the forum. I'm new too but it's a great place full of great folks.

Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
ponyboy1995

Post by ponyboy1995 »

learn2flyfish wrote:
ponyboy1995 wrote:

Cool. I lived in Lexington a while back. Over in an area known as Red Bank.

Season's been open for a while there hasn't it? Seems like I remember my neighbor taking a buck in velvet once because the SC season starts so early.

Welcome to the forum. I'm new too but it's a great place full of great folks.

Paul
Paul,

I actually live in Red Bank. It is now known as White Knoll. I guess they wanted to revitalize the area and bring more business this way so there have been a lot of changes. Great place to live now.
The deer season opens August 15th for most of the state. It is very common to get a Buck in velvet during early season. With this little cold snap we've had I am seeing early signs of the rut. Seeing lots of buck trailing doe kn cameras. I've got my eye on a nice 10 point that keeps popping up!
I look forward to reading posts, meeting new people & getting good info from the forums. I ment to ask. where did life take you since your not in South Carolina anymore?

Joe
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Live in Alabama where I'm originally from.

We had a house down off of old orangeburg rd iirc. Garden Pond Drive I think.

Good times in SC. Lots of good friends there.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.