Just Testing The Waters...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Olmanstand

Just Testing The Waters...

Post by Olmanstand »

"If" I was to sell my Ibex in the off season, I'm considering going up to a equinox/225 lbs bow. Would this be a waste of time & money, or a practical upgrade? Main reason is flatter shooting/more speed.

Open to opinions. For some reason I'm fond of the 'nox vs the matrix line.
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
Deerstalker

Re: Just Testing The Waters...

Post by Deerstalker »

I love my Equinox BUT I have never held a Matrix. I suggest that you look at the Matrix 355/380 and compare it to the Equinox. I believe that whatever you decide that you will end up with a great CB.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

I hunted with a guy who has a 355, he likes it, I've handled it also. My thinking is I can get a bare nox', buy a scope mount, keep my Nikon and sell the ibex with its new in box SMF scope. Then my strings, munch mount, and S5 will all transfer over. Every penny counts...
Nox & Max, Xcaliber Strings, Vixenmaster Strings, Dynaflight String, Munch Mounts, S5's, Nikon Bolt XRs, VPAs & Montecs, Big John Custom & 2216 Arrows
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I had an aluminum rail Ibex for about 4 years. Some days I wish I would have never sold it, but have a Matrix 355 now and really love this bow. Handles and shoulders much better than the Ibex ever did. That being said...I personally wouldn't buy an Equinox. Much more difficult to cock repeatedly...at least for me and a lot tougher on servings. The benefits you'd get stepping up to an Equinox, just don't stack up high enough in my opinion to warrant getting rid of an Ibex. Save your pennies and get a Matrix. Probably will have some new models in the Matrix line coming in the beginning of 2014. :wink:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Depending how much you like to shoot. You'll trade easy to shoot for flatter trajectory but definitely harder to cock. Have (had) both the Equinox and shot the 380. Both require more strength than my twice-cut, 73 yr old back like to muster. I largely hunt with the Vortex, shoot regularly with the Phoenix and if another Excal was calling to me it'd be the 355.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Mtnfun

Post by Mtnfun »

I have vortex, equinox and matrix 355. Really liked my vortex, not so much the equinox but my matrix 355 is number 1 favorite
strum

Post by strum »

ibex to an equinox?????? yeah baby!!!!!!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

ibex to an equinox?????? nah baby!!!!!!!

Fixed that for ya Strum, lol. My opinion is to keep the Ibex. YMMV.
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I would keep the Ibex and buy a #225. Nice to have some power sometimes buy not for fun shooting. Think you will be sorry when you end up with just a heavy weight bow. Better off getting a good scope for your Ibex.
strum

Post by strum »

wheelie wrote:I would keep the Ibex and buy a #225. Nice to have some power sometimes buy not for fun shooting. Think you will be sorry when you end up with just a heavy weight bow. Better off getting a good scope for your Ibex.
i think wheelie is a blend of me and shucks. kind of a "awestucks"

but seriously I have owned a max and a phoenix and now I have a exocet..by far the 200lb bow is my favorite,,that said im itching for a 355 8)
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

strum wrote:
wheelie wrote:I would keep the Ibex and buy a #225. Nice to have some power sometimes buy not for fun shooting. Think you will be sorry when you end up with just a heavy weight bow. Better off getting a good scope for your Ibex.
i think wheelie is a blend of me and shucks. kind of a "awestucks"

but seriously I have owned a max and a phoenix and now I have a exocet..by far the 200lb bow is my favorite,,that said im itching for a 355 8)
Scratch It Gohead :lol: :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
strum

Post by strum »

JP I need a credit card no. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Olmanstand

Post by Olmanstand »

Thanks for all the replies! Still undecided, may just keep what I got. Only thing I've seen is that 20yd to 30yd drop is significant with my set up. Wondering just how much that extra speed will do for me.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

strum wrote:
i think wheelie is a blend of me and shucks. kind of a "awestucks" 8)
I kinda like "awsum" :wink: :lol:
cevans

Post by cevans »

If your not in a big hurry,,why don't you wait till after all the 2014 new bows have been out. I am betting you can pick up a 225 at about half price of the price of the bow now...as everybody will want a smaller lighter maybe even faster crossbow than the older models. I am perfectly happy with my Exomax for stalking in brushy hill country, and stand hunting and have taken 5 deer with it in the last couple of years. I know how you feel on decisions, but for me, all good things comes to those that wait. :)
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.