leopold vx-r vs redfield questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

leopold vx-r vs redfield questions

Post by paulaboutform »

A couple of questions please. Is it correct that Leopold and Redfield are the same scope with different names? Just like Ford Rangers and Mazda B series trucks are the same vehicles with different names. 2. Everyone's talking about the vx-r. Are there different crosshair options, are they all illuminated, and are they available in multireticle like the tact zone? 3. Do you have to use something like the hha optimizers to have the various ranges? Thanks for your info and help all.
Paul.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Re: leopold vx-r vs redfield questions

Post by Normous »

Leupold purchased the Redfield company a few years ago and it was a win win for Redfield and consumers alike. Redfield had its share of ownership pains over the years which cast some doubt in customer loyalty. Redfield scopes today share Leupold glass and production quality better than ever before and consumers recieve the Redfield brand at a good price point, thanks to Leupold. Both are built under the same roof.

Leuplold offers the VX-R in 4 Firedot reticles and 5 if you count the Pig Plex. The FireDot is illuminated and the Balistic Firedot that I have is best suited for Excaliburs faster crossbows. I did a review not too long ago on the VX-R.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
cevans

Post by cevans »

Both have a lifetime warranty. Both are top notch scopes. I just snatched a 2 x 7 multiplex for a new ML that was putting together, with store already marked down, plus a 20% discount coupon off Dunham's...got it for 125.00. The Leopold 2 x 7 would have cost me well over 350.00 and maybe less if I looked really hard on the net for a better deal. Both were powder coated as well. Can't go wrong with either. Leopold is the Caddy,,,Redfield is the Chevy...but both are excellent scopes and will take a beating.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

enormous wrote:Leupold purchased the Redfield company a few years ago and it was a win win for Redfield and consumers alike. Redfield had its share of ownership pains over the years which cast some doubt in customer loyalty. Redfield scopes today share Leupold glass and production quality better than ever before and consumers recieve the Redfield brand at a good price point, thanks to Leupold. Both are built under the same roof.

Leuplold offers the VX-R in 4 Firedot reticles and 5 if you count the Pig Plex. The FireDot is illuminated and the Balistic Firedot that I have is best suited for Excaliburs faster crossbows. I did a review not too long ago on the VX-R.
Thanks for that info. I also have the 380 (& possibly the 405 soon? ) so I guess the Ballistic Firedot would be the way to go. Does it allow you to dial in for that slow a speed? 320-380fps???
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

The Speed Ring on Excalibur scopes is the same as changing the power on Variable power scopes. Excalibur scopes with the speed ring option only changes the magnification to best match arrow drop between yardages. So, yes to your question.
EDIT: BTW- it is Leupold (pronounced like Lou), not LEOpold.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i thought the redfield revenge comes from the phillipines. id say its close to my crossbones in glass. just a little more bulky. :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

EDIT
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

paulaboutform wrote:
enormous wrote:Leupold purchased the Redfield company a few years ago and it was a win win for Redfield and consumers alike. Redfield had its share of ownership pains over the years which cast some doubt in customer loyalty. Redfield scopes today share Leupold glass and production quality better than ever before and consumers recieve the Redfield brand at a good price point, thanks to Leupold. Both are built under the same roof.

Thanks for that info. I also have the 380 (& possibly the 405 soon? ) so I guess the Ballistic Firedot would be the way to go. Does it allow you to dial in for that slow a speed? 320-380fps???
The Leupold Crossbones crossbow scope has a speed ring, but a non-illuminated ballistic reticle.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I cant answer on the VX-r, I've read where it's between the VX2 and VX3 as far as glass quality. I have 3 current model VX3's, an old Vari-x 2c, and 3 Redfield Revolutions. IMO the Revolution smokes the Vari-x 2. I like the Redfield's, to my eyes it would be about a VX1.5 :lol: It's definitely not a VX3 but for 1/3 the price I don't expect it to be. AFAIK the Revolution series is the only USA made one, although I believe the glass is imported. I think the rest are made in the Philippines, as is the Leupold Rifleman. For the price, with full lifetime warranty, my money's on the Revolution, I've been very happy with mine. Have not used one on a crossbow though.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers