Leupold 2-7x scope question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Leupold 2-7x scope question

Post by amythntr »

Maybe this is a dumb question....I know some of you have opted for the Leupold 2-7x scope on your Excal's. I currently have these scopes on my muzzleloader and slug gun...my query is dont these just have one single cross hair?....How do you utilize the scope for shots at different distances? :?

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Re: Leupold 2-7x scope question

Post by Normous »

The last time I checked the 2013 Leupold Master Cataloge I counted about 50 different reticles available to consumers from Leupold. Some are stock reticles and some are custom ones available when you send yours back and enclose the reasonable fee to change it.
There are quite a few than can be adapted for crossbow use such as the 2-7 VXR that I chose as seen below with the Balistic Firedot reticle. A 2-7 Crossbones is available with similar drop zone reticle also found on scopes by Excalibur and other crossbow scope manufacturers. The Turkey plex reticle is another option that comes to mind. Others here dial in there single crosshair scope using the thick and thin margins for 20, 30 and 40 yards.

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I mounted the Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm shotgun/muzzleloader NWTF edition scope in Dark Earth finish with a Turkey Plex reticle on my Excalibur Matrix 355 using Leupold rifleman detachable low rings.

I have my scope set on 4x and sight-in center crosshair at 25 yards. I hold center of broadside chest from 0 - 30 yards. Some folks use the circle and heavy duplex lines for different yards.

The center circle is 6.5 inches at 45 yards set on 4x magnification. My daughter's 7 point buck deer mount's ears and bottom surface of the nose muzzle measures approx 6 to 6.5 inches long. I don't like to shoot beyond 30 yards, but this might be a cool tool to determine if the deer is within 45 yards. All depends on how the deer is standing and if it mature, so if the ear looks too big in the circle then its under 45 yards.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

You guys are wonderful....I now stand now having "learnt" something...my scopes are about 15 years old with the quick release base so I can easily remove the scope for traveling if need be....I gather I would be able to do likewise on the 380 Xbow.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
lovelight

Post by lovelight »

Doesn't Leupold have a 2-7 33 called the Crossbones with a crossbow reticle? Their web site doesn't make any mention of a speed ring but I suspect that would be necessary for it to be broadly usable by crossbow hunters. That's the one I would look at if was looking for an upgrade.
Normous

Post by Normous »

lovelight,
Speed ring = variable magnification, same thing. A 2-7 magnification scope achieves both.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

lovelight wrote:Doesn't Leupold have a 2-7 33 called the Crossbones with a crossbow reticle? Their web site doesn't make any mention of a speed ring but I suspect that would be necessary for it to be broadly usable by crossbow hunters. That's the one I would look at if was looking for an upgrade.
The Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Crossbones has a speed ring from 250 - 425.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

lovelight wrote:Doesn't Leupold have a 2-7 33 called the Crossbones with a crossbow reticle? Their web site doesn't make any mention of a speed ring but I suspect that would be necessary for it to be broadly usable by crossbow hunters. That's the one I would look at if was looking for an upgrade.
Yep, have a crossbones on my exocet, enormous is correct with the varipower ring = speed ring. Have mine zeroed out to 60ys :mrgreen:

[URL=http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Oppie ... 8.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/Oppie ... 6.jpg.html]Image
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Oppie,

Looks awesome! Could you tell me the speed range since all I could find on the internet is 250 - 425 FPS.

Andrew

8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Yooper, how much you low at 30 yds ? With that 25 yds zero ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

yooper_man wrote:Oppie,

Looks awesome! Could you tell me the speed range since all I could find on the internet is 250 - 425 FPS.

Andrew
That is correct, mine is 250 - 425. Crystal clear scope, early morning, late evening it's clear an bright. Being retired I'm out shooting an hunting more than most guys, love it :mrgreen:
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

8ptbuk wrote:Yooper, how much you low at 30 yds ? With that 25 yds zero ?
Only a couple inches, but probably would be different based on your bow draw weight and overall arrow weight. I shoot a 470gr out of my Matrix 355.

Andrew

yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Oppie wrote:

Andrew
That is correct, mine is 250 - 425. Crystal clear scope, early morning, late evening it's clear an bright. Being retired I'm out shooting an hunting more than most guys, love it :mrgreen:
Awesome thanks, yea my 15 year old daughter was amazed even with her young eyes how much the Leupold scope allows low light clarity when it's next to impossible to see with the naked eye.

Andrew

Oppie

Post by Oppie »

yooper_man wrote:
Oppie wrote:

Andrew
Awesome thanks, yea my 15 year old daughter was amazed even with her young eyes how much the Leupold scope allows low light clarity when it's next to impossible to see with the naked eye.

Andrew
Yes indeed, I like to be out early morning an it's amazing how bright that scope is. I also have a 70 yd range behind the house so I shoot several times a week in any weather, I hunted in rain, snow, fog, it's a tough scope.
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Slick Trick 100
lovelight

Post by lovelight »

Awesome scope. It does look big but it has to be one of the best out there.