45-70 Government for Caribou

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post by Guest »

A 45-70 is all the gun you will ever need! If a hunter can't get within 200 yards of their game then it is a hunter problem not a weapon problem.

Post by Guest »

My Father and big brother hunted Caribou and fly fished Atlantic Salmon (George River) way back in 1975, all the way up in Ungava Bay (Fort Chimo).
My late Pa was carrying a pre-64' Winchester Model 70 .270 and my bro was carrying a pre-64' mod 70 .257 Roberts. They both bagged big Caribou. I don't recall the yardages the Bous were taken at as I was just a little fella. 45-70?? Well,.. sure it could kill a Bou, but IMHO you're limiting your range with that moose/bear/brush gun on such an expensive outing. Just my 2 cents. :wink:
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

When caribous come by the hundreds...even thousands during their migration, you probably could spear them they get so close. The fact is, it doesn't happen as much as people believe.

Also realise that unless you have a range finder, you really cannot judge distances like down south. Everything looks close because the air is so clear and there are no reference points in these wide open spaces. A short hike up the mountain that you think is only 10 minutes away, is actually a one hour walk!

Chances are, you may only see them pass at a distance and that will be it. If you want to take that chance with a short range weapon, be my guest. It's your money.

...anyways have fun.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Thank you all for the good info I will let you know how it goes!!