My xbow is coming, need help from here...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

My xbow is coming, need help from here...

Post by Guest »

Hi All, been lurking and reading for a while now and wanted to first thank you all for the great advice and reading you've provided.

As a result I have a new Vixen Deluxe Realtree coming that I won on eBay last night ($250 :)) and will be needing to outfit it for Ohio deer hunting.

Before I start randomly buying stuff I was hoping you all could help answer some more basic questions.

Will any brand quiver fit the Vixen or should I only buy the Excalibur model? I'm thinking I may also prefer a quiver that does not mount to the frame of the bow, any suggestions?

I had seen a thread where someone was discussing a custom quiver mount for Excaliburs a while back but I could not tell the difference bbetween it and the standard one, if you know what I'm talking about could you shed some light on the subject for me?

The scope I'm looking at is a Simmons 4x32 crossbow scope with the adjustable objective. Has anyone had experience with this model?

Finally, I know Excalibur uses flat nock's on their bolts, will standard nocks also work? I'd like to be able to buy bolts locally when possible.

I don't have an Excalibur dealer really near by so I will be ordering via the web/phone for the most part, so good dealers reccomendations would help greatly.

Sorry for the long first post but I'm trying to get everything right the first time to avoid learning via trial-by-error ;)
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

The standard quiver mount bracket mounts under the rail with two screws. To this attaches the quiver with a quick lock lever. The arrows lay parallel to the rail.

A lot of us remove the quiver from the bow when on stand anyway....

The "custom" bracket you heard mention of mounts on top of the rail where the sights mount. The arrows lay perpendicular to the rail. Bracket comes from Dan Miller in Ohio.

Excaliburs use flat nock inserts or regular inserts. Half moon nocks are not recommended because if you insert the arrow the wrong way the string can slip off the arrow and cause a world of hurt. By "regular insert" I mean the same as the one in the front of the arrow so local availability will not be an issue.

Re: the scope. I recommend Excalibur. I further recommend you buy "the right stuff" kit from BJ and you will have everything you want/need in one box.

Mikey Vee
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

ps- are you cnlstuff ?

Mikey

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info. I will look into the kit a little more.

Yep, that would be me. (cnlstuff)