VIXEN SPEED

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

Post by confederate »

Shakky, is the problem penetration with the Vixen vs the Exocet ? Or is the problem that a Crossbow makes so much noise you need as much speed as possible to keep the animal from dropping. The reason I ask is the statement you made about what animal I would be hunting. I will be hunting Deer and Wild Hogs but I am curious as to why you wouldnt hunt Elk with a Vixen? It shoots faster than My Mathews and I would go after Elk with the Mathews. I know Yall can tell how new I am at this Crossbow Hunting, thats why I am asking before I make my purchase. It is sounding like I need to go with the Exocet.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

To me if Bill T. puts on his web-site that the Vixen is questionable for moose then thats good enough for me. I assume that's what the ? means on the chart. The thing to remember about the Exocet is you can move up to a heavier bolt and increase you KE and still maintain a good speed. As you said it will improve the penetration.
Gary in Ohio

Post by Gary in Ohio »

Anonymous wrote:"but, noise is diffinately an issue with the crossbow. " but only too you :wink: Your cheeck is against the stock when you shoot, the noise is perceived by YOU as loud. Enough said about the noise of a x-bow as it has been covered many, many times.
I've shot my crossbow off the hip to test this theory. It was a only a little bit quieter. Comparing the noise of a compound to a crossbow is like comparing apples to pumkins.

Post by Guest »

Hey guys,

It doesn't matter how you cut it, slice it or dice it. EnErGy Is EnErGy!!!!!!

The amount of KE a 540 gr. arrow travelling at 275 ft/sec is identical to a 20" 350 gr. bolt travelling at 350 ft/sec.

Also, i'm sure your crossbow would be alot quiter shooting a 540 gr. bolt and a vertical bow would be alot louder shooting a 350 gr. arrow.

Try it.

Post by Guest »

My first Compound shot 170 fps. I know it would do the job though. The only reason I inquired is because of what I read on this forum. I want to make the right decision to begin with. I have years of experience with compound Bows but no experience at all with CrossBows.
Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

Confederate,

Go simple and go with the Vixen.
I've been using an older version with carved limbs for years.
I've taken deer, black bear and moose.
I use 20" 2219's with MA3 broadheads and get complete pass-thru.
I have no idea how SLOW the bow shoots and it's not very loud.
I use a single dot Red Dot scope and my shots are between 15 and 18 yards except for bear.
I stand hunt for black bear over baits that are about 13 yds from my tree stand.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Excellent article by Bill Troubridge at this URL..

Scroll down aways..

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=22
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

If you want a bow that will be equal to your mathews and stop your buck with accuracy, that is definitely your problem under buck fever, go above a vixen and get the exocet or exomag. If you can cock the exocet, then there's your bow! It's enough speed to compensate for the noise, and will kill what you aim at. Excalibur is excellent equiptment....but remember this.....Alot of guys spend plenty money upgrading there gear with more powerful X-bow's on this forum...Getthe bow to start with that will fill your needs for the next 10yr's and you'll be really happy.

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!