Questions on buying Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RonnieM

Questions on buying Matrix 380

Post by RonnieM »

New member here. My name is Ronnie, I live down here in the states, western Kentucky, and I have a problem. I FREAKIN LOVE THE EXCALIBURS, The MATRIX 380!!! Been wanting and researching for a while now. I am new to crosbow and bow hunting. I have a weaker left arm so my doc signed a permit where I can use it during archery season, so I plan on using the Matrix 380 deer and turkey hunting. This is one of my problems. I can get it from a hunting place already put together, he thinks, in a few more weeks ready to use. Or I can order one, at a better price, but I have to put it together myself. I am very mech inclined, but not much experience with crossbow, lots of bow hunter friends though. I got worried cause i have read where others have ordered theirs and now having issues sightening them in. Are they that hard to tune and put together? I was hoping to order it and all my other cool stuff tomorrow, but now not so sure.

Thanks
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
RonnieM

Re: Questions on buying Matrix 380

Post by RonnieM »

Just figured it would be pretty straight forward on assembly.
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Ronnie, I wouldn't worry a bit about putting it together ! The people on this forum are very nice and helpful ! You'll love your 380 ! Go for it ! :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Normous

Post by Normous »

You can probably put it together with one eye closed. It is easy really.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

It's relatively Easy. Putting my Matrix 380 together initially took but an hour, and I was of course Playing with the various parts a LOT! :wink:

Fairly basic. Follow the instructions, and you should have no problems.

Word to the wise though, run a little Blue LockTite on all your bolt threads!

Welcome to The Madness! :D

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

RonnieM wrote:Just figured it would be pretty straight forward on assembly.
Just took one apart today took two minutes goes back together just as fast When I got it I was dialed in and shooting bullseyes in an hour
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

OK, its over. Ordering it tomorrow. Getting a nice durable target, rangefinder for distance, practice points and bolts that come with it. Excalibur says that have it set up equaling 350 grains, so i was going to do the same. Couple more questions. What bolts are best for the 380? Also, what is the best tip for bringing down a turkey with one? Any other advice would be great too! This is like being a kid again the day before Christmas or something.

Thanks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As posted, Welcome. Just to re-iterate what IronNoggin said, blue lock-tight every screw thread on that bow. Then let it set overnight. It'll save you piles of aggravation later.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bdog

Post by bdog »

Bolt it down tight but dont be to heavy handed,like said above some loc tite on them bolts n screws, I would loc tite after the first break in n see what needs more or hopefully less torque till you get used to the assembly part of it all, need arrows, contact Big John here, A+ arrow maker, wanna make ur own arrows, contact Boo here,he will hook you up with info n shafts, have fun
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I think if you will order it from Danny Miller he will assemble it, sight scope in and then take the riser/limbs off and ship it to you so that its two bolts to assemble.740-483-2312 He doesnt do the internet. Great guy and an Excal guru.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Arrows Black Eagle Execusioners 385-425gr are great. Have helical fletched. Pay attention to keep thumb/fingers below the rail top or the string can & will bite them off! Twist up string at least 1/4" off the REDS. Locktite the scope mount screws, lvl yer scope prior to shootin & enjoy. Most trouble occurs wid noobs not followin the instructions/directions
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

I will let you know soon waiting for the Fed-ex truck now!!!!
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

One thought, though....you said you have a problem with your left arm. Have you tried to cock a Matrix 380? You might need a crank-cocker, if one is available for the 380.

Cocking my measly 200lb bow with the string cocking aid is hard enough. I would imagine that the 250lb of the matrix would be a challenge with two strong arms.......a bad arm might make it impossible without a crank.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Do have a bad left arm due to a bad motorcycle wreck years back. I cannot lift it too far above my waist. I still have a heck of a grip and all that, just messed up nerves and shoulder damage. I mean i can dead lift quit a bit. So I was thinking cocking the 380 no more than the draw length is should not be a problem. My main problem will be holding it up and being stable. I have held the 355s and all them and not bad at all. Just looking at practice shooting to get it down, then turkey and deer hunting with it. Will be buying a shooting stick in case I need one, thought it may help. I have the fever, have great hunting land out my door, so its on. One way or the other, i will get it down. I do a lot of bass fishing out on Kentucky lake, a few miles down the road, when it gets so hot we hit water sports. Lots of my friends cannot wake board, but I can wake board, ski, and knee board. If there is a will, there is a way. Another reason I went to crossbow hunting is bc I am a felon. Partied way to hard YEARS back and got into a little trouble, oops. There went my hunting, back in 2000. Then I found out i can use a crossbow legally, even through archery season with a special permit from doc. Got the permit, the land, now just need my crossbow. Then back in the woods!!!!.......Side note on the parting way too hard. Been clean for years now, preach at jails, talked at churches, and spoke at most of the schools in our area. The things in life NOT TO DO! Thought I would throw that in there.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Also about 5'11