Questions on buying Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RonnieM

Re: Questions on buying Matrix 380

Post by RonnieM »

Ok, I did some measurements. I can lift a good amount of weight, from the floor up to a comfortable position 31 inches, pass that gets a little tricky. But 31 inches from feet/ground level will not be a problem. That should be fine right? I am guessing the draw string on the crossbow to ground will be around 10 or so inches, then another say 14 inch draw back equals 24 inches. And I am comfortable lifting up pulling up a good amount of weight 31 inches. So does my calculations sound correct?
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

There is no way that you (or any other normal human) is going to pull back the string on a Matrix without at least a string cocking aid. For every inch that you pull the string back with a string cocking aid, the handle will move back, I beleive, two inches. So for a 14" draw length the handles will end up about 28" back from where you start (it will actually be a little less because you want the handles to "start" when the string is pulled back an inch or two. Maybe you can back it up a few extra inches to accomodate your limited movement, but I am not sure about 31".

Can any Matrix 380 owners verify the measurements for Ronnie? I have an exocet and it is not handy right now.....
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

My bad. I am using a cocking aid. I am using the string that comes with the package from Danny. Though they were talking about the cocking aid that goes on the butt of the stock. No way would I use just my hands trying to pull it back. One it would be a monster, 2 if I did not sure if it would be equally centered. Sorry, misunderstanding. I will be using the rope to bring the string back. I should be fine, right?
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
Robinredbreast

Post by Robinredbreast »

Hi Ronnie I've just had a 380 and only cocked it bout ten times as yet, I think you will be fine, it's like as been described on here before just when it starts to get harder to pull its over and done with, just enjoy and go easy and smoothly with no sudden jerking with that iffy shoulder.One more tip, don't forget to take the safety off to cock it, several times out of the ten I've cocked it I've somehow managed to leave the safety on :oops: kept tugging at it wondering what the heck was up :lol: :lol: lucky I didn't have an audience, though I don't mind sharing it on here, just go steady bro
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

RonnieM wrote:My bad. I am using a cocking aid. I am using the string that comes with the package from Danny. Though they were talking about the cocking aid that goes on the butt of the stock. No way would I use just my hands trying to pull it back. One it would be a monster, 2 if I did not sure if it would be equally centered. Sorry, misunderstanding. I will be using the rope to bring the string back. I should be fine, right?
I don't think the cocking aid gives you any "gear reduction" except for evenly splitting the draw load . So, at max draw, you are pulling 125 pounds in each hand at around 32 inches off the floor, if the string starts at 10 inches off the floor and you set the hooks to engage the string at 2 inches back from normal (The matrix has a 13 inch power stroke, not 14). That's close to your 31 inches if you've measured correctly, and you can shorten the cocking rope a little more if needed to get you to your 31" "Ronnie Power Zone." So, in other words, you should be fine.

This is all theoretical....I have never set eyes nor hands on a Matrix.

Congrats, by the way, on straightening out your life and putting yourself in position to buy a sweet $1000 present for yourself (and hopefully lots of the other things, both tangible and intangible, that clean livin' has to offer).
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Ok, thanks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Good on ya Ronnie. Way to make a turnaround. Not one of us here is perfect or without sin. I've got a couple sets of Promos Trigger Stix. The bipod and the tripod. Both are awesome and I highly recommend either. The bipod is lighter but the tripod is even more solid. Can't go wrong with either. The one hand trigger adjustment for height, angle and tilt is great in the yard or the field.
As for cocking, I think you'll be just fine at 5'11". I'm six feet and have recently had a shoulder reconstruction and tore the heckled out of my other shoulder about three months ago. I draw it fine.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Super pumped! Cannot wait to get my set up splitting bolts. Maybe not splitting them, not for the cost anyways. I can tell the wife is freakin about how much i am spending on everything, but i saved up for the set up. 60-70 hour weeks since sept, about killed me but gotta do what you gotta do. Got her stuff too. But Daddy got to have his hobby toys which is hunting and out there fishing. THe company I was working for got bought out from one of the Canadian Corps, Saputo. This is who I work for now. Anyways, back to crossbows. Soon as i get it down and a lot more experience I am going to have to get one of Boo's custom strings, then one of those sweet pulling triggers. I have Big John going to hook me up with some bolts. Goobblers beware, deer meat will be stocked up in the freezer, deer steaks, then some good jerky. Have some killer recipes. I told the wife we will be savings lots of money on meat now. Maybe a stray cat or two...lol. been having trouble with them getting my free range chicken.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

You will be just fine cocking the 380. Congrats! Welcome!.. The 380 is an amazing bow!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Ronnie, I know you're excited about the Matrix 380 they are awesome bows. The Black Eagle Executioners in my opinion are the best arrows for the money. I killed 2 turkeys this past year with mine in 2 days hunting with Slick Trick Magnums broadheads, these broadheads have also been responsible for the death of several deer, a coyote and a black bear. Good luck and have fun when you get it. Glad to have you on board.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Thanks. Will check them out.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Already got a hold of Big John about bolts. He is doing some figuring for me and will email me back. Will try them grave diggers out. I have read about them.

However, I read a thread on here that worried me. The scope that comes on the 380. I heard of people, seems a few, having problems with them. For the money I am spending, i am not ok with that. I heard of people going with the Leupold crossbones scope. I have not ordered anything yet because I am still waiting on Danny to call me back. Any advice on these scopes? or what i should do?
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

RonnieM wrote:Already got a hold of Big John about bolts. He is doing some figuring for me and will email me back. Will try them grave diggers out. I have read about them.

However, I read a thread on here that worried me. The scope that comes on the 380. I heard of people, seems a few, having problems with them. For the money I am spending, i am not ok with that. I heard of people going with the Leupold crossbones scope. I have not ordered anything yet because I am still waiting on Danny to call me back. Any advice on these scopes? or what i should do?
They have a 2% return on the tactzone I had absolutely no problems with it
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ronnie, you should be fine on cocking the 380. The return rate on the scope that will come on the 380 is 2%.
I don't think the cocking aid gives you any "gear reduction" except for evenly splitting the draw load .
Sorry, it does. It cut's the effort in half..........

edited: JP beat me to the stats, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Good deal, thanks.