Target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinredbreast

Target

Post by Robinredbreast »

Over here in the UK with not being able to hunt, there seems a total lack of UK made targets that can cope with bows such as the 380 I have
, even the crossbow fed. Over here takes a dim view of them and has no place for them in competition.
While that's all well and good as I have plenty of use planed for mine such as being able to shoot longer range targets with more arrow speed and flatter trajectory that is reason enough in itself for me.
In addition target shooting for recreation as opposed to competitive and self gratification and in knowing that I'm mastering marksmanship with another type of potential hunting tool is just icing on the cake so to speak. However it is throwing up a problem for me that I am struggling with and that is finding a suitable sized commercial target that does not cost an arm and a leg, I have tried the block targets and at 20-30 yard the arrows are going up to and over the fletchings in some instances. The target I think I would have liked is the syderweb ones, but over here even the smallest 14 inch one is £149! Which works out about two hundred and fourth five dollars... Ouch!!
So I think needs dictate I make one. I have looked on YouTube at the few ideas on there, compressed carpet strips in a wooden frame,
and or a bag of compressed rags are two of the more interesting ones, to save experimenting and subsequent possible failure wasting my time, can anyone tell me if this type of target has worked for them with a 380 at close range? And if anyone can send me pictures and detailed instructions I would be very great full. Obviously I need the target to stop the arrow but not unduly wear out the arrows, it's a shame we are so limited over here, it's the freight costings that cause most of the price difference I think. But in truth it takes it out of my price range,
Thanks in anticipation
Dave
Boo

Re: Target

Post by Boo »

I use a Third Hand Rag Bag from 16' away. I've shot around 500 shots into it with a 405.
When you look at the bag the tendency is to think it's just a bag but it would the the longest lived bag available. I've had it for a few years and have shot thousands up close and personal and the bag is doing great.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Don't rightly know what you might have for grain bags over there?

Here, they come in various sizes. I went with the larger variety (4' x 4' x 6'), figured that 2.5 feet of cloth inside should stop the Matrix 380, and went to work on it.

Stuffed it full of clothing (buttons and zippers removed), old sleeping bags, and pretty well anything I could get my hands on. Made it a tad better than 2.5 feet in depth. Then, folded the facing material over it a couple of times and sewed it shut with twine. You can see from this photo how well it stops the Matrix 380 at 20 yards:

WELL before the fetching every single time. This home-made bag target has been shot well over 1,000 times now, and keeps on ticking. It is getting a tad saggy from all that "compacting", so soon I'll open it up and toss in a little more stuffing. Should be good for another 1,000 or so I figure...

Hope this helps...

And Congrats on choosing The Right Bow! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
diesel

Post by diesel »

Yea a bag with old clothes stuffed in it works great.