Gettin' a 355. Couple questions.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ComfyBear

Re: Gettin' a 355. Couple questions.

Post by ComfyBear »

filly wrote:Not going to bother with the ADF unit. Not sure how folks dry fire these things. I've got a ritual down. Cock it and immediately, first thing, is put it on safe. It's like putting your car in D before you hit the gas.
Famous last words.....It's only a matter of time, not if, but when. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm not wishing this on you filly but that's exactly what every person who ever dry fired a bow, or was saved from a dry fire by the adf, has said....me included. Do yourself a favor and listen to what the good members are telling you. They're not talking out of their butts, they're giving you some very sound advice. As stated before, it's not a question of if....but when. :shock: :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
filly

Post by filly »

No, seriously. Tell me how someone dry fires their bow if it's cocked and immediately put on safe. Impossible. I would have to forget to put it on safe in order to dry fire. I don't forget to put the car in D before driving. I think it's an error to say that everyone WILL dry fire their bow.
filly

Post by filly »

Another analogy. Do you take a leak before dropping your pants? I haven't pissed on myself in the past 35 years. Who brushes their teeth before putting on toothpaste?

I'm not being a smart ass. I'm literally saying that like with a lot of things in life, there are certain sequences that you go through. With the bow, clicking on safe is like dropping trou to take a leak, putting on toothpaste to brush, and shifting into D before driving. You just do it.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I have had a bow since 02 and it took me 9 years to dry fire my bow! as soon as you get with a group of people and get side tracked it happens! Done it twice and both times have been with a gruop of people( BOO FEST) :lol:
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
bdog

Post by bdog »

Not so much about putting it to safe, it's about forgetting to load an arrow....happens all the time
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

......or you are by yourself. extreme focus, process focused...target, breathing, form focused....BANG! No arrow :shock: I know it sounds impossible but it's not a matter of forgetting the safety. My safety is on before I ever unhook my rope cocker. I thought EXACTLY what you're saying. Yet, my adf saved me twice since November. Understand, I'm not some idiot half wit. Quite the opposite. I'm a certified level 2 archery coach (technical and theory), certified I.b.e.p. instructor, and 3 time national 3D champion. However, I respect your not wanting it for whatever your reasons. It's your bow and you need to set it up for you. Good luck filly. :P
tommybobusa

Post by tommybobusa »

filly wrote:Another analogy. Do you take a leak before dropping your pants? I haven't pissed on myself in the past 35 years. Who brushes their teeth before putting on toothpaste?

I'm not being a smart ass. I'm literally saying that like with a lot of things in life, there are certain sequences that you go through. With the bow, clicking on safe is like dropping trou to take a leak, putting on toothpaste to brush, and shifting into D before driving. You just do it.
If I were You I would take the advice of some Very knowledgeable people on this Forum...........You are only 35 years old , You WILL piss Your pants if You are lucky enough to "live long enough" , go for the $25 bucks. I can attest to the facts of both situations....lol
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

tommybobusa wrote:
filly wrote:Another analogy. Do you take a leak before dropping your pants? I haven't pissed on myself in the past 35 years. Who brushes their teeth before putting on toothpaste?

If I were You I would take the advice of some Very knowledgeable people on this Forum...........You are only 35 years old , You WILL piss Your pants if You "live long enough" , go for the $25 bucks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Filly, I think you'll find that if you ask for advice and make light of or ridicule what you get, you'll have people hesitate in giving advice again.
Almost all damaged Matrix limbs and or limb tips come from 355s and that bow does not have a ADF unit as you know. Guess what? Most of the owners claimed that they did not have a dry-fire, go figure. One thing for sure, most of those people had inoperative bows for a week or so.
You don't need an ADF unit just like you don't need health insurance or auto insurance to drive a car.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ianinno

Post by ianinno »

I understand the confusion as if you watch all the Excalibur Video's Bill says himself that they are not needed but as other members have stated its an insurance policy of sorts. I took there advice and installed the ADF before the first bolt was ever loaded. And at the least it will lessen the chance of damage if you do dry fire!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I didn't think I wanted the ADF either, more weight, more moving parts, more possibility of something failing, all that...but it came on the 380 and it will stay on it, I actually like the peace of mind of having it there. Like so many others have said it's a little extra insurance and protection if a dry fire does happen. Distractions happen, our minds wander sometimes in spite of our best intentions.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
filly

Post by filly »

I hear what everyone is saying. My main issue is, if the ADF and the string stops are so "crucial" and must-have items, why in the world is the 355 package sold without them? Makes no sense. From what you guys are saying, I can agree...Murphy's Law, right? Why would Excalibur not put these devices on ALL their bows?
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

filly wrote:I hear what everyone is saying. My main issue is, if the ADF and the string stops are so "crucial" and must-have items, why in the world is the 355 package sold without them? Makes no sense. From what you guys are saying, I can agree...Murphy's Law, right? Why would Excalibur not put these devices on ALL their bows?
Because if they brake they give you new ones :mrgreen:
lovelight

Post by lovelight »

Just my opinion but the 380 was released as their flagship produce in 2013 and got the complete bling treatment. The same goes for the 405 in 2014. For the 355 and the 330, they probably know there is a distinct risk of dry fire returns but the cost of installing the ADF on every bow vs dealing with the warranty returns is likely higher. The price of the bow would go up and the current approach gives the shooter choice in the matter.

Whether or not one decides to install one, boils down to an individual's tolerance for risk and how they value their time. Dry firing during hunting season is a relatively low probability incident but my days are precious (and costly) enough to me to install one. It also puts me at ease why my son or wife are shooting my 355.